Soap for scars - post surgery

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7053joanne

Reaction score
I need help. My young friend is having open heart surgery tomorrow :cry: and has asked if I can make a soap that will help her scar heal well. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to pack as much good stuff in there as possible.

Joanne

soap being a wash off product won't really do much other then keep the skin around the area from drying out like a detergent bar might.

after her stitches are out and the incision is closed, a nice easily applied salve made with emu and vitamin e would be my choice. or a lotion made with good oils like emu, shea and vitamin e.

i had a mole removed several years ago that needed stitches inside and out, and after the stitches were removed i made a small jar of 3/4 parts emu ( the good cosmetic grade) and 1/4 part vitamin e and would apply this with a q-tip morning and night. not much is needed and you can't even tell i had stitches unless your up close and personnel and then it is really faint.

i have given this to several friends who have had carpal tunnel surgery, a knee operation and abdominal surgery and they are all really happy with the faint colored scar rather then the pink/reddish one you can have.

Thanks! Sounds like a good plan. I'm thinking that if i make a very moisturizing soap it will also help even it is only so it doesn't scab up badly. My friend is only in her early 20's and is very concerned that she will end up with a huge scar.

Thanks so much for your input....I will certainly mix some up for her to try.

joanne

Barb said:
soap being a wash off product won't really do much other then keep the skin around the area from drying out like a detergent bar might.

after her stitches are out and the incision is closed, a nice easily applied salve made with emu and vitamin e would be my choice. or a lotion made with good oils like emu, shea and vitamin e.

i had a mole removed several years ago that needed stitches inside and out, and after the stitches were removed i made a small jar of 3/4 parts emu ( the good cosmetic grade) and 1/4 part vitamin e and would apply this with a q-tip morning and night. not much is needed and you can't even tell i had stitches unless your up close and personnel and then it is really faint.

i have given this to several friends who have had carpal tunnel surgery, a knee operation and abdominal surgery and they are all really happy with the faint colored scar rather then the pink/reddish one you can have.

You mentioned shea, but how much did you include?

My mum just had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands this past week and she can't take the wrappings off till she goes to the dr on the 10th. (She wasn't planning on scheduling the surgery so quickly after her dr apt, but she just had a physical and if she waited longer she would have to have another physical and there was an opening so they did it quickly.

I'd like to make some up for her just because..........

for the shemu lotion;
20 grams fractionated coconut
20 grams cocoa butter
40 grams emu
40 grams shea
5 grams vitamin e

45 grams e-wax
30 grams imp

30 grams cyclomethicone
20 grams dimethicone
20 grams steric acid

9 grams phenoonip ( or preservative of your choice at mfg recommended rate )

510 grams water
90 grams aloe vera juice or gm

Latest posts

Back