Soap for old person

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee242

Reaction score
What would be a good way to make soap for older People and what would be good to use in it?

I would think any lower cleansing bar would work fine. I have a 95 year old aunt that uses my OMH soap and loves it. My 77 year old mom uses all my soaps and has no issues. So, unless they have a specific issues, any handmade soap should be okay.

I agree with Shari. Low cleansing for starters. If they have dry skin or any issues, you have to deal with them on an individual basis.

By the way, please don't call them "old people". There are too many other choices that are less offensive.

I know an elderly gentleman that used my aged castile and it was very gentle on his skin.

I agree with Shari. Low cleansing for starters. If they have dry skin or any issues, you have to deal with them on an individual basis.

By the way, please don't call them "old people". There are too many other choices that are less offensive.

I am an "old people".

Doc actually tells me that a scrape and cut easily because my hide has gotten thinner due to age. I am currently waiting for some soaps to cure that are 6 and 7 on their cleansing numbers. Pics are posted on the using vinegar to harden your soap thread. I will report back on them

A colleague of mine is of a certain age, and his poor skin is so sensitive and damages so easily. I give him my castiles or lard soaps, either unscented or lightly scented with lavender, rosemary. I also make him unscented lotions, lotion bars and he really likes my home made laundry soap mix.

Last edited:

I think they called them older people in the post, which is not offensive. Any person older than me, is an older person as far as I'm concerned. I call myself an old fart, doesn't bother me, you are, what you are.

My Parents have a number of friends older than them (80's and 90's) and their skin varies as much as younger people. Most have been using shop bought detergent bars or liquid soap for years, so tend to find handcrafted soap much more gentle. I tend to gift a lot of soap, so they've all tried various recipes. One chap made me laugh. He used my laundry bar and loved it so much he started to use it in the shower too. It was 50% CO and 50% lard with no SF! I was horrified at first and offered to give him other soaps but he refused. He said it made him remember soap from his youth only it was really gentle on his skin. Go figure :shock:

I would still check if they have any skin issues and match the soap to their needs. I'm pretty sure they will love whatever soap you give them:)

I'd go for a simple castille with goatmilk for improved lather if making for elderly skin. My husband's grandmother made it past 100, and her skin was so fragile it would tear. I wish I had been making soap back then...

Back