Soap for Eczema

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't help ya with dish soap but a quick search on this forum will get you pages of info.

So lotion bars are easy-peasy. I use 1/3 each of beeswax, shea butter, soft oil. I also add an essential oil. Melt and pour. I pour into cake-pop molds that look like large bullets. I package them in little tins. Turn out too hard? Then re-melt and add more soft oil. Turn out too oily? Then re-melt and add more beeswax.

My friends and family go CRAZY over these things and I keep telling them they could make 'em too, cheap 'n' easy. Take care,
Thanks Zing!

I read an old thread the other day, and someone said (it may have been @Susie , but not sure, I apologize!) that it is not what`s in the soap we make, but what`s not in the soap. I agree with this 100%.
So even though handmade soap is no cure in any way, shape or form, it is great to know that at least many can use it without getting any worse.

Ooo, yes. Don`t get me started on lip balm, my favourite thing to make after soaps. I have been working on a formula for 2 years, and I think I have nailed the one I am shelling out dough on to get safety assessed (you know, the EU thing..) So yes to lip balms. Mrs. Zing will love you even more.

It is easy, quick, lovely on the lips, nothing will ever end up on her hips. Low fat, low calorie lip balm - now even less calories than your stand-alone Vaseline...

I use mango butter and meadowseed foam in mine, and they are like wearing a liquid bandaid.
If you want to venture out, you could add color or sparkle to them too. Girls / ladies allike would think that is a fun thing to have in their stash. I make my own lipcolor. Color and balm in one. My days of wearing a thick layer of blinding red lipsticks are over...😬
Mmmm. "Liquid bandaid" -- LOVE THAT! I only just discovered meadowfoam seed oil and Lord! I didn't know my life was empty until I tried it. Thanks for the tip. I'll haveta try your recipe. I also spend a fortune on Burts Bees peppermint that I want to dupe. I'll prolly pass on the sparkle and color. :)

Back to skin & soap. I've shared repeatedly here that for decades I used dermatologist-recommended Dove Sensitive. Now when I have to use it, it feels caustic to me. I truly believe it's what's NOT in our homemade gems.

I was motivated by having eczema - pretty mild- and not wanting to rely on heavy paraffin emollients and GP prescriptions. In the UK it’s not always what works best which is given but which is cheapest. gotta save the NHS money ( literally was told this by a pharmacist when asking for moisturiser that actually works). When COVID pandemic started the shops sold out of all kinds of soap so I started researching then making my own. My skin still needs moisturiser but homemade soap is amazing. My whole family use it now so the added bonus of no more plastic bottles being bought
You might want to consider formulating a shower bar instead of a lye based soap. Most soaps of this nature have a pH anywhere from nine on up which is some thing that will strip the acid mantle of the skin and leave your skin vulnerable to inflammation. Shower bars, if they are made well can have a pH of 5 to 6. They don’t strip the acid mantle, they don’t dry out the skin at all. And they’re not at all difficult to make. Make sure if you’re buying it rather than making it, of what the pH is because some shower bars can have a pH of nine depending on what surfactants are used.

Mmmm. "Liquid bandaid" -- LOVE THAT! I only just discovered meadowfoam seed oil and Lord! I didn't know my life was empty until I tried it. Thanks for the tip. I'll haveta try your recipe. I also spend a fortune on Burts Bees peppermint that I want to dupe. I'll prolly pass on the sparkle and color. :)

Back to skin & soap. I've shared repeatedly here that for decades I used dermatologist-recommended Dove Sensitive. Now when I have to use it, it feels caustic to me. I truly believe it's what's NOT in our homemade gems.
I hear that! Decades ago when I was working in an OB/GYN practice, I was getting a ton of patients in with vaginal rash and irritation. The first thing that I ask is if they’ve tried any new products in that area like soap. I was told that they had gotten a sample of a new oil of Olay soap in the mail. I must’ve seen 30 patients that week… And as soon as they walked in and I saw the problem the first thing I said is ditch the new Oil of Olay soap you got, they thought I was psychic LOL.

I hear that! Decades ago when I was working in an OB/GYN practice, I was getting a ton of patients in with vaginal rash and irritation. The first thing that I ask is if they’ve tried any new products in that area like soap. I was told that they had gotten a sample of a new oil of Olay soap in the mail. I must’ve seen 30 patients that week… And as soon as they walked in and I saw the problem the first thing I said is ditch the new Oil of Olay soap you got, they thought I was psychic LOL.
Ah, that reminded me of an Irish Spring soap sample I got in the mail years ago. Fifteen minutes after coming out of the shower I started itching. Within another fifteen minutes my skin from my chin to my waist, slowly turned into what my hubby called chicken legs...totally mottled complete with raised bumps all over. I have never had a reaction like that and don't have eczema. Luckily, I took another shower with my regular soap, stood under the water forever and came out with the reaction fading and no itches. I wouldn't even touch the bar to toss it out of the shower! I always wondered if there were other people out there with similar experiences. LOL

So if your skin needs moisturizer, can I interest you in lotion bars? I'm an evangelist -- no cure time, cheap, quick, what's not to love? :)
My family too realized that we are saving on packaging which is a bonus. Mrs. Zing got motivated to make her own laundry detergent. I'm getting a lot of pressure to make shampoo bars, but that's a whole other thang! Hopefully for Christmas I can kick out some lip balm. I did have to buy packaging but we'll re-use and re-fill.
So if your skin needs moisturizer, can I interest you in lotion bars? I'm an evangelist -- no cure time, cheap, quick, what's not to love? :)
My family too realized that we are saving on packaging which is a bonus. Mrs. Zing got motivated to make her own laundry detergent. I'm getting a lot of pressure to make shampoo bars, but that's a whole other thang! Hopefully for Christmas I can kick out some lip balm. I did have to buy packaging but we'll re-use and re-fill.
Arghhh, I made lotion bars but used castor oil instead of sweet almond which I meant to 🙇‍♀️, they are very draggy. is this the castor oi? Would the 30/30/30 feel differently if I weren’t such a muppet and used sweet almond oil instead? Any advice or tips greatly appreciated! I’m planning another go tomorrow afternoon. Using SAO 🤣

Arghhh, I made lotion bars but used castor oil instead of sweet almond which I meant to 🙇‍♀️, they are very draggy. is this the castor oi? Would the 30/30/30 feel differently if I weren’t such a muppet and used sweet almond oil instead? Any advice or tips greatly appreciated! I’m planning another go tomorrow afternoon. Using SAO 🤣
Oops! Sorry, I can't answer your castor oil question because my experience with castor oil is in soap only. Maybe your batch isn't all lost, though. Can you melt it and re-jigger your proportions so that castor oil is a tiny amount? This is why Excel spreadsheets were invented. Good luck to you.

Back