Soap for eczema

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDOM

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm brand new.
I have not made any soap but have been researching and looking into it for awhile.
My main reason for wanting to make soap is for my son who suffers from eczema. So far (please correct me if I'm wrong) one of the best soaps I could make for him would be castile?
Does anyone have any suggestions to help me?

This question comes up frequently. Here is a recent post regarding the same. Also if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see more threads on this topic.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=58739

Eczema is caused by many different reasons. I think any gentle soap would be a great improvement over store purchased soaps. Some also get relief with sal bars. It also depends on what age your son is.

Please take a minute to go to the introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Hey!

I have found that it is more getting away from the synthetic detergents of store bought soaps that helps the eczema than the actual contents of the soap.

I would STRONGLY suggest you not make a castile soap for your first couple of batches. They take 6-12 months to cure, you see. You need soap that takes only 4-6 weeks to cure. And no, hot processing soap does not help you avoid cure time. No matter what the ladies on YouTube say.

If no one has given you a recipe or recipes by the time I get off work, I will post my favorite recipe. I started making soap to stop my eczema.

My variation of dixiedragon's recipe:

Lard 65%
Olive Oil 15%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%
Superfat 5-8% (I would start at 5% and go up if needed. I use a higher superfat in winter to keep the eczema from flaring up.)

If I were you, I would make both dixiedragon's recipe and mine, then choose what suits you best. You may end up using something in the middle or a completely different recipe.

Don't forget that all soaps need a minimum of 4-6 weeks cure time. I actually cure mine a minimum of 8 weeks, and I think they are best after 4 months. Please don't have your son use uncured soap. It will not be good. I do, however, suggest YOU try it (wash your hands with it, not a full bath) every week after the first week so YOU understand why we say to cure the soap the proper amount. Even better, make a batch of soap, let it cure 6 weeks, then try it against a soap that cured 1 week.

I'm sure you'll find that MY recipe is the best one. j/j

Regarding pine tar soap - you can make it yourself, but it's enough of a PITA that I recommend buying a bar and then if you like it you can make your own.

i would personally make a 100% Castile straight away so you can test it in 6 months to a year. It's still usable at 6 months but dissolves away quicker under a year and isn't as mild.

Everyone's eczema is different but my DH can use my regular homemade soap (without fragrance) most of the time. But as soon as he has a flair up it's back to the Castile (no fragrance).

Back