Soap for daughter’s eczema

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son has had debilitating eczema his whole life. In and out of hospitals, hospital homebound for school, no quality of life. I've I learned a few things along the way. Everybody's skin is different. What works for one may not work for the other. I don't believe there is any one thing to get rid of it. I make my son a soap bar very high in lard and give it a long cure time. More importantly soak and seal within 3 minutes out of bath. I have found that emollients work best on skin. We stay away from lotions. It is imperative to seal the moisture in within 3 minutes of coming out of the shower or bath. Wet wraps when flaring. Dupixent has been a life changer for him! Hope this helps a little.

Rsapienza, I am so glad to hear Dupixent is a life changer for your son. For me, soaps nor lotions, nor ointments help in the least. No soap is is good for me, but I just have to suck it up and use it. I do not get to try Dupixent since I get no help from insurance. Oatmeal soaps are an immediate trip to the emergency room for me, although I can eat oatmeal. For me, keeping my skin moist causing it to itch out of control, but not keeping it moist causes it to dry out and crack. It is such a never-ending vicious cycle. I pray the Dupixent continues helping your son.

Many just do not realize how debilitating eczema can be. I have spent my fair share of time in hospitals and now we are eating out every night because my hands are so bad even nitrile gloves hurt. My husband is having to fill my lotion bottles and label my soaps for my upcoming market.

Rsapienza, I am so glad to hear Dupixent is a life changer for your son. For me, soaps nor lotions, nor ointments help in the least. No soap is is good for me, but I just have to suck it up and use it. I do not get to try Dupixent since I get no help from insurance. Oatmeal soaps are an immediate trip to the emergency room for me, although I can eat oatmeal. For me, keeping my skin moist causing it to itch out of control, but not keeping it moist causes it to dry out and crack. It is such a never-ending vicious cycle. I pray the Dupixent continues helping your son.

Many just do not realize how debilitating eczema can be. I have spent my fair share of time in hospitals and now we are eating out every night because my hands are so bad even nitrile gloves hurt. My husband is having to fill my lotion bottles and label my soaps for my upcoming market.
No, unfortunately most people have no clue how severe it can be. I have seen my son not be able to walk because the backs of his knees were so raw he couldn't straighten his legs. I have seen blood smeared all over his body and on the walls. It has been a traumatizing experience for me, as his mother. Moms are supposed to make things better. There was nothing I could do for him. We've tried everything, been everywhere, including The National Institute of Health. I do worry about his future. I allowed him to be on oral steroids most of his life. It was the only thing to provide some occasional relief. It stunted his growth so then I had to put him on growth hormone. Then he developed Cushings Syndrome. His skin has definitely thinned. We have tried everything out there. We even took ALL food and put him on a liquid formula diet (Neocate, I believe). Nothing worked.
Dupixent is so new, I now wonder what long term effects it may have.
I'm sorry to hear you can't get it. Have you spoke to Dupixent directly? I believe Dupixent My Way helps with costs or gives it for free (if you qualify). There's got to be some way to make it available to you. It really has changed our lives. Have you ever done wet to dry wraps?

If you use any fragrance in your laundry detergent or dryer sheets, I would wash all her bed linens and clothes and switch to Dreft.

I know little about eczema but I did make up this concoction that worked for my dear hubby when it showed up on the back of his legs, behind the knees:

96 ml almond oil (or carrier oil of choice)
3 ml benzoin EO
1 ml lavender EO
I've been told that Dreft is awful to use.

I've been told that Dreft is awful to use.
Good to know. My daughter is 48 now. Back then, Dreft was the only mild, fragrance free detergent available and it did work for her. Now, there's several different choices of Dreft and other brands as well.

@cmzaha My heart goes out to you. :(

I've had atopic eczema all my life but a few years ago I went to the French Spa of Avene. There I attended the spa run by the Avene company that manufactures the same creams and lotions of the same name. The spa is certified by the French Health service and psoriasis and eczema patients can be given a prescription to attend it. Luckily foreign patients are also able to attend !
The spa uses no steroids and all treatments revolve around both consuming the water (which is high in silicates) and having baths and showers with the same water. For broken skin they use zinc based creams (containing the water) and for intact skin they use one of their many different types of moisturising skin. In addition they run workshops as part of the treatment on how to live with eczema, how to apply creams and look after your skin. During your time there you're assigned a dermatologist who monitors your progress and provides you with a programme of treatments.
After 3 weeks your time is up and in an ideal World you'd return the next year. In my case I've not managed that but I will say the effect of using the Avene water and their products has been outstanding as has the advice they give you on what to do and what not to regarding how to look after your skin. I can't recommend a visit there enough.

I've had atopic eczema all my life but a few years ago I went to the French Spa of Avene. There I attended the spa run by the Avene company that manufactures the same creams and lotions of the same name. The spa is certified by the French Health service and psoriasis and eczema patients can be given a prescription to attend it. Luckily foreign patients are also able to attend !
The spa uses no steroids and all treatments revolve around both consuming the water (which is high in silicates) and having baths and showers with the same water. For broken skin they use zinc based creams (containing the water) and for intact skin they use one of their many different types of moisturising skin. In addition they run workshops as part of the treatment on how to live with eczema, how to apply creams and look after your skin. During your time there you're assigned a dermatologist who monitors your progress and provides you with a programme of treatments.
After 3 weeks your time is up and in an ideal World you'd return the next year. In my case I've not managed that but I will say the effect of using the Avene water and their products has been outstanding as has the advice they give you on what to do and what not to regarding how to look after your skin. I can't recommend a visit there enough.
I of course immediately went to their website. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be making any trips overseas anytime soon. I see you can buy the products online. Definitely something to consider. When I took my son to the National Institute of Health in Maryland, on one of our visits we stayed for a week. I had a team to help me and twice a day he was immersed in a cool bath with a wet towel over his head that we continuously poured water over. Immediately following the bath he was Pat dried and then we started slathering emollience on him I think it's your money back. We then wrapped him and wet gauze followed by dry gauze and then pajamas. We used this web kind of medical tubular stuff to hold the wraps in place. When we first arrived, his skin was a mess. It was weeping and oozing and scabbed and peeling and it covered his entire body. To my amazement, after a week, he was clear and I watched my son sleep a night all the way through for the first time in years. I do believe in the wet wraps because I've seen it; however, in the real world, I do not live in a hospital setting, nor do I have a team of nurses to help me everyday. The results were not nearly as positive when we got home.
I know that everybody's skin is different, and the triggers for their eczema are different. What works for 1 may not work for the other. If one could narrow down their triggers, eliminate, and do wet wraps, I believe their skin would begin to heal. In our case, Sharif has ige levels of over 220,000. I have searched everywhere and cannot find ige levels that high on record. From what I'm told that pretty much indicates that he is allergic to absolutely everything and anything he comes into contact with. We know that we cannot keep him in a bubble, so there's really no resolve to his allergies. It really is a never ending battle that is often overlooked.

Sadly as
I of course immediately went to their website. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be making any trips overseas anytime soon. I see you can buy the products online. Definitely something to consider. When I took my son to the National Institute of Health in Maryland, on one of our visits we stayed for a week. I had a team to help me and twice a day he was immersed in a cool bath with a wet towel over his head that we continuously poured water over. Immediately following the bath he was Pat dried and then we started slathering emollience on him I think it's your money back. We then wrapped him and wet gauze followed by dry gauze and then pajamas. We used this web kind of medical tubular stuff to hold the wraps in place. When we first arrived, his skin was a mess. It was weeping and oozing and scabbed and peeling and it covered his entire body. To my amazement, after a week, he was clear and I watched my son sleep a night all the way through for the first time in years. I do believe in the wet wraps because I've seen it; however, in the real world, I do not live in a hospital setting, nor do I have a team of nurses to help me everyday. The results were not nearly as positive when we got home.
I know that everybody's skin is different, and the triggers for their eczema are different. What works for 1 may not work for the other. If one could narrow down their triggers, eliminate, and do wet wraps, I believe their skin would begin to heal. In our case, Sharif has ige levels of over 220,000. I have searched everywhere and cannot find ige levels that high on record. From what I'm told that pretty much indicates that he is allergic to absolutely everything and anything he comes into contact with. We know that we cannot keep him in a bubble, so there's really no resolve to his allergies. It really is a never ending battle that is often overlooked.
I pray the Dupixent continues to help. As one Doctor to me years ago. I am allergic to myself. Sadly, the real world is very different from a hospital setting. Fortunately, there seems to be more research going on for eczema than years ago.

Hello,
My heart goes out to all suffering with these painful skin allergies. I make a Bastille goatmilk soap with colloidal oatmeal and honey (no fragrance) - 70% OO, 20% PO, 10% CO. Some people have found it to not irritate their eczema as much as other soaps, but it won't necessarily heal their skin. I also make a soothing salve with 45% Mango Oil, 23% Calendula Infused Sweet Almond Oil, 16% Cocoa Butter, 5% Argan Oil, 5% Rosehip Seed Oil, 6% Beeswax Cappings. It is soothing for some with eczema. Making and using these may help or may not. Wish there was an easy answer.

Hello,
My heart goes out to all suffering with these painful skin allergies. I make a Bastille goatmilk soap with colloidal oatmeal and honey (no fragrance) - 70% OO, 20% PO, 10% CO. Some people have found it to not irritate their eczema as much as other soaps, but it won't necessarily heal their skin. I also make a soothing salve with 45% Mango Oil, 23% Calendula Infused Sweet Almond Oil, 16% Cocoa Butter, 5% Argan Oil, 5% Rosehip Seed Oil, 6% Beeswax Cappings. It is soothing for some with eczema. Making and using these may help or may not. Wish there was an easy answer.

Are you a bee keeper? How is the beeswax cappings diffrent than beeswax

the simplest soap is the best . Almond oil causes a lot of allergies in people, I would not use it on my skin (allergies)
Oo infused with calendula flowers, and maybe coconut milk at least some, No scent no color ,

I’m going to chime in though I don’t have eczema, but after yrs of lupus, something is breaking down my skin. I can no longer use any kind of soap. In desperation, one day I took my olive oil into my bath and, pouring some into a container with some water just for dispersion, I used a clean washcloth to bathe with it and it seems to have stopped the flaking and cracking skin.
Both my sons have at least one child with eczema, though not to your son’s extreme, @Rsapienza. They both tried using an oil, one of them had only sesame oil not olive, and both said that over the course of a month’s use the skin improved.
To clean up I used a spray bottle with only vinegar and water, a 1:2 ratio, with a tsp of Dawn regular dish detergent.

Latest posts

Back