Soap for a stinky kid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coffee soap using coffee to make the lye solution and the grounds grounded up to a powder is known for removing food odors like onion, garlic and fish. Not sure if that would work for a whole big kid though. 😁

Use the Search feature in the upper right corner of this page to learn more.
Thank you so much. I just happen to have some coffee soap on hand. I searched before I posted. I’ll try different keywords. Thanks again.

@Nyknits Say, by any chance do you know Merilyn "Babe" Konnerth of Utopia Bath? She's a soaper that lives on Long Island. She was into the "knitting" crowd and formulated bath & body products with lanolin for them to help sooth irritation from working with wool.

@Nyknits Say, by any chance do you know Merilyn "Babe" Konnerth of Utopia Bath? She's a soaper that lives on Long Island. She was into the "knitting" crowd and formulated bath & body products with lanolin for them to help sooth irritation from working with wool.
Not personally, however I’ve seen her products at the local fiber fair.

Sorry, but I doubt any typical soap is going to help. As a fish keeping hobbyist, I've learned that the protective slime coat on fish contains trimethylamine oxide (not sure I spelled that right) - which breaks down into ammonia compounds on your skin. Very tough to get off, but using lemon juice, vinegar, and other harsh things helps...but it's sure is painful if you have any cuts, and harsh on the skin if you use daily and will leave the skin vulnerable to more damage.

Stainless steel blocks are used by professional fisherman to rub over their bodies. Supposedly neutralizes the ammonia compounds...if I remember correctly. Something to look into.

Sorry, but I doubt any typical soap is going to help. As a fish keeping hobbyist, I've learned that the protective slime coat on fish contains trimethylamine oxide (not sure I spelled that right) - which breaks down into ammonia compounds on your skin. Very tough to get off, but using lemon juice, vinegar, and other harsh things helps...but it's sure is painful if you have any cuts, and harsh on the skin if you use daily and will leave the skin vulnerable to more damage.

Stainless steel blocks are used by professional fisherman to rub over their bodies. Supposedly neutralizes the ammonia compounds...if I remember correctly. Something to look into.
The stainless blocks do work for garlic and onions. Look for Rub-a-Way. I tried to insert a link to Amazon but failed.

Last edited:

How about using a soap that has lemon fragrance oil, perhaps peppermint?

My customers use a vanilla spray in their kitchens after cooking fish. I don't know if it would work on skin. I don't think any soap would work on it's own. Perhaps a combination of all suggestions.

All good information here. I remember hearing about stainless steel removing odors. Thank you for your input. It’s appreciated.

I have all but the litsea cubeba. Do you use it for housecleaning?
Try subbing lemongrass EO for the litsea if you have it, or lemon myrtle.

I use it in my foamer hand soap next to the sink. It does a good job on my white formica counter tops, sinks and dishes. Dishes rinse squeaky clean.

As for whole house cleaning, I keep a spray bottle of this little bit of magic from Down Under on hand. ;)

LECTRIC WASHING SODA MIRACLE SPRAY

1.5 litre - 25 oz. water
300ml - 5 oz. vinegar
60ml - 1 oz. dishwashing liquid
25ml - 0.4 oz. eucalyptus oil
3 tsp - 0.25 oz. Washing Soda

½ Batch 31.65 oz. TOTAL

Mix Washing Soda with 1 cup boiling water to dissolve. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into a 2 litre bottle.
Pour into left over spray bottles for benches and laundry.
Refill old toilet cleaner bottles to squirt under the rim in the toilet.

Take care when cleaning appliances and cooking surfaces with indicator markings

Back