Soap feels dry after unmolding

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Kandacee

Reaction score
New to soap making and running into 2 issues.
I added butters, fragrance and essential oils to my soap base and after, the soap feels hard once dried
I’m soap has also been smelling like Rubbing alcohol . I mix mica with alcohol and pray in between layers and it doesn’t evaporate
Please help

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hi Kandacee- this is the 3rd thread you've posted in regard to the alcohol smell, which (so far) lsg and I posted answers to in your other thread, so I will address the question regarding the dry/hard feeling of the soap. How much butter did you add?

IrishLass :)

Kandacee

Reaction score
Hi Kandacee- this is the 3rd thread you've posted in regard to the alcohol smell, which (so far) lsg and I posted answers to in your other thread, so I will address the question regarding the dry/hard feeling of the soap. How much butter did you add?

Hi thank you. I added about 1tbsp per 1 lb

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hi thank you. I added about 1tbsp per 1 lb
That actually sounds like a perfectly normal amount as additives go in M&P. I've never added butters to mine, but I would expect that they would add a certain amount of extra hardness, depending on the naturally-occurring stearic acid content of the butter. The higher % of stearic, the harder the results.

What brand or type of M&P are you using?

Kandacee

Reaction score
That actually sounds like a perfectly normal amount as additives go in M&P. I've never added butters to mine, but I would expect that they would add a certain amount of extra hardness, depending on the naturally-occurring stearic acid content of the butter. The higher % of stearic, the harder the results.

What brand or type of M&P are you using?

I’m using Stephenson goat milk base