Soap favors for my son’s wedding - help me with planning?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oleander is so pretty in the jar but it is basically white in soap. I was disappointed.

How about doing a pink and blue layered soap with a blue bottom layer and a pink upper layer and using a dark blue heart in the blue layer and dark pink in the pink layer. If you are going to cut it in half you can do MP heart embeds stacked in the layers.

Something like this

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 16
Oleander is so pretty in the jar but it is basically white in soap. I was disappointed.

How about doing a pink and blue layered soap with a blue bottom layer and a pink upper layer and using a dark blue heart in the blue layer and dark pink in the pink layer. If you are going to cut it in half you can do MP heart embeds stacked in the layers.

Something like this
Cute, but not the bride-to-be’s style. She’s more boho bright in a minimalist kind of way, if that makes any sense.

Since I still make soap for fun, I’ve given myself a creative license to make an assortment of soaps :). The hearts would be part of the mix.

. Great advice! I agree.

They sent me a close up shot of some part of the actual suit, but it was taken inside at night so I’m not betting on the colors in the photo being true. It’s a linen with an obvious weave. I may need to take a second look at Kashmir and Blue Vibrance is probably off the list.

Yeah, there's too many variables to try to match the color of something from a photo of it. The color rendition of their camera might be off. The color rendition of your monitor might be off. Just display it on two different monitors and you'll probably notice a slight difference. And then there is what sort of light the photo was taken under vs the light in your workshop where you are making the soap. Unless you have a sample of the fabric, you're not going to be able to match it exactly. Even then, it might be difficult.

Usually I find NS color blender to be pretty accurate, but in this case Cabaret is looking way more purple than it is.

The inspiration soap (thank you, I am honored) used Love Song for the pink. It's a super pretty soft pink that might be just what you are looking for.
I went ahead and ordered Cabaret, Love Song, Amaranth and Hollywood Pink. I’m sure one or two of them will work out :). I also ordered more Kashmir and Winter White. That was after I tried mixing more purple into Queen of Hearts and ended up with something with a color that looks like grape jelly on the top of the soap. That’s not exactly what I was hoping for.

I went ahead and ordered Cabaret, Love Song, Amaranth and Hollywood Pink. I’m sure one or two of them will work out :). I also ordered more Kashmir and Winter White. That was after I tried mixing more purple into Queen of Hearts and ended up with something with a color that looks like grape jelly on the top of the soap. That’s not exactly what I was hoping for.
I hope you find what you need. I think you should be able to get close enough. Don't stress yourself out trying to get the exact color. Nobody will notice. They will be too busy sniffing :cool:

So this entire thread is too "into the weeds" for me -- BUT you sound like a really good mommy and MIL and I think homemade soap as favors is an incredibly thoughtful labor of love! It will really be a unique and memorable addition and so practical and usable. My 2 cents for soap for men is I like the ideas of white and/or blue and stripes. I'd stay away from flower molds (just my opinion) and stick with scents that are earthy/herbal/spice/woodsy/citrus instead of floral. Best wishes to you and your family on this great occasion!

Thank you @Zing and yes, I can get very detail oriented when I start planning something :). No flowers for the guys!

@dibbles One thing I’ve notice about your swirled soaps is how delicate and wispy looking they can be, even when you use brighter colors. That’s what I’m hoping to achieve for a swirled soap. It’s not that easy :p

@dibbles For a floral scent, how do you like Nurture’s Persephone’s Kiss FO? I found another thread where you wrote that it is light but lasts. It seems very popular based on all the reviews it gets on the Nurture website. As described, it also sounds pretty safe for using in a wedding favor soap, with no discoloration and no acceleration. How do the citrus notes compare with the floral notes? I should have ordered a sample size last night.

@dibbles For a floral scent, how do you like Nurture’s Persephone’s Kiss FO? I found another thread where you wrote that it is light but lasts. It seems very popular based on all the reviews it gets on the Nurture website. As described, it also sounds pretty safe for using in a wedding favor soap, with no discoloration and no acceleration. How do the citrus notes compare with the floral notes? I should have ordered a sample size last night.
I honestly mainly get floral from this one. It is light, but does stick. It soaps very well. I like lighter/clean florals, and I like this one. I'm getting ready to go visit my grandson (and his parents) for a few days, but if I have time I can get a list together tomorrow of some well behaved suggestions. Off the top of my head, Daisy Chain from BB is nice. If you aren't completely set on a floral, NS Avalon is really lovely. I also love a blend of Sweet Cakes Lavender Breeze and Peony Petals (1:1). This blend is a lot stronger and moves a bit faster, but is still very workable. I used WSP Waterlily & Bluebell for my Ione Swirl try, and I feel like it actually slowed trace. It's nice - won't ever be in my very top - but it is a floral with ozone-y/water notes that seems to be plenty strong.

I went and sniffed around in my FO stash. There are only a couple of well behaved florals that I forgot to mention. If you like rose (which I don't) BB Crisp Apple Rose is one I can work with. There is a definite apple note to it, but I think it balances the rose very well. It is very well behaved. Sweet Cakes Orange Blossom is well behaved too, and one of my favorites. But I have also had to come to terms with the fact that everyone doesn't love neroli like I do. NS Sambucus is nice, although not a floral in the traditional sense. It is very 'green' smelling. MMS Osmanthus is one I love - but also not a traditional floral.

edit to add - BB Cactus Flower is also very nice OOB. I haven't soaped it yet, but reviews seem like it is well behaved.

Last edited:
I just made a batch with the colors below that I mixed from Queen of Hearts and Ultra Violet, both from Nurture. It’s not a WYSIWYG when mixing micas. QH is a bit stronger, which is especially noticeable in the light color soap, where I used less and also mixed in some Winter White to help lighten the blend.

F9D4C929-72A1-43B9-AA7D-B163F241D2C9.jpeg

I have the sunflower mould @Mobjack Bay references, and unless they make one exactly the same but smaller, the soaps are closer to 3, 3.5 oz. I just weighed a few of the ones I made the other day and they range from 99g to 108g.

Did you tried Nurture's Color blender? Just throwing that out there. It looks pretty cool.

I don't know if it's been mentioned above, but Summer Crush by Nurture is an amazing color. It appears to be more of a coral on the website but here is a picture of a soap I made with it. It's one of my favorites. Sorry, I can't give a usage amount because I take lousy notes. :beatinghead:
View attachment 44033
Cute soaps! I used Summer Crush and ended up with a coral flesh tone. It wasn’t even close to the pink you achieved . Did you also use white mica or TD?
20DF68C4-5E02-4F30-B890-D0B5DDD7C43A.jpeg

I have the sunflower mould @Mobjack Bay references, and unless they make one exactly the same but smaller, the soaps are closer to 3, 3.5 oz. I just weighed a few of the ones I made the other day and they range from 99g to 108g.
I have the flower molds in two sizes :)

Did you tried Nurture's Color blender? Just throwing that out there. It looks pretty cool.
All of the color blends above are screen shots from the Nurture color blender :)

Im doing soap for my daughters wedding reception. I bought a small heard tube mold and and doing the hearts in all the pastel colors to put inside a white bar of soap. I am also packaging in organza bags.

I have the flower molds in two sizes :)
Interesting! I have never seen the small ones advertised anywhere.
And who among us hasn't purchased a mould that turned out to be completely the wrong size? I've learned that "fondant" in the description/title means ittty bitty ;-)

Interesting! I have never seen the small ones advertised anywhere.
And who among us hasn't purchased a mould that turned out to be completely the wrong size? I've learned that "fondant" in the description/title means ittty bitty ;-)
I bought the small ones for lotion bars. I just measured and they hold about a half ounce - travel soaps!
420C21D8-4D05-45FD-A894-38F3E8E00FBA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back