Soap fail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaped

Reaction score
Decided to experiment this weekend and made 3 loafs of soap, 2 using my usual recipes and the last I used a recipe from a popular YouTube soaper, I adjusted by adding goats mill powder and soap shreads.... I left it in the mold for 2 days unmolded tonight to a big crumbly mess. Not sure if I should have left it longer or if I made a mistake in the recipe. It doesn't zap so I think I may melt in my crockpot and do a rematch of sorts.

IMG-20221017-WA0035.jpeg

It looks soft crumbly, not hard crumbly - is that so?
What was the recipe? And i can't see any soap shreds - were they usual size? How much milk powder?
The majority was soft crumbly, but I just went to melt down in my crackpot and found that one layer was hard crumbly and lye heavy as it zapped. So when i thought i mixed to a light trace and then seperated for the colours it must not have been mixed properly. The soap shreds I would have blitz with the stick blender in the green sections (I hated the scent of that particular soap so I just wanted to repurpose them). I looked at my noted and saw that I also used 2 teaspoons of goat milk powder but then also put a teaspoon of kaolin clay in what was to be the white layers. The recipe is as follows:
Olive oil - 40%
Coconut oil - 30%
Palm oil - 20%
Sweet almond oil - 5%
Castor oil - 5%
Superfat at 5% and lye concentration at 33%.

I am thinking that it wasn't fully emulsified when I separated the batch for the 2 colours but you can let me know what you think. Thanks!

If you happened to pour the zappy layer at just emulsion it easily can stay zappy for 72 hrs and 40% OO could easily take longer than 2 days in a silicone mold to set up well enough to de-mold. With a 5% superfat if you measured correctly I really doubt it is lye heavy. I always poured one of my recipes when it just barely hit emulsion and I mean it would still be totally liquid, and a 2% superfat was always zappy for 3 days then it would quit zapping like you turned off the switch. Even when I was using 5% superfat when I first started soaping I would have the same scenario. You just unmolded this soap too soon.

If you happened to pour the zappy layer at just emulsion it easily can stay zappy for 72 hrs and 40% OO could easily take longer than 2 days in a silicone mold to set up well enough to de-mold. With a 5% superfat if you measured correctly I really doubt it is lye heavy. I always poured one of my recipes when it just barely hit emulsion and I mean it would still be totally liquid, and a 2% superfat was always zappy for 3 days then it would quit zapping like you turned off the switch. Even when I was using 5% superfat when I first started soaping I would have the same scenario. You just unmolded this soap too soon.
Thanks for this, I've never had a zappy soap before so this was a shock for me for sure! I will note that for next time.

Latest posts

Back