Soap Drying racks?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'm def feeling the bread bins! But just where to get them in miami? Hummm

sugar & oats

I have the large shelving like Nevadas. I've purchased 4 of them and used 2 sets of shelving on each unit. I can cure a load of soap. I like the shelving so I have easy access to the soap. Unlike the bread racks where you would have to continually move them to gain access to the soap on the bottom.

Up at our shops and at the green grocer's, they get their mushrooms delivered in blue ventilated plastic trays. They look a lot like those bread baskets further up the thread, only smaller. I reckon they can each hold around 30- 40 soaps on edge. They are stackable and they just throw them among the other boxes they put out for customers to pack their groceries in, so they are FREE! They are really good for drying the year's harvest of onions and potatoes in too and for drying flowers and for keeping flower bulbs in and I even use one as a giant sieve for cleaning out the bottom of the chicken coop. LOL I think I must have at least 40 of those trays around the place and in the garage. Ask at the store nearest you that sells mushrooms if they have any mushroom trays to give away. They are perfect for curing soaps and the price is unbeatable. :)

I found a picture of of those mushroom trays. Here's what they look like:

p20130508222255-400.300.110-85-Mushroom-Tray.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found a very large, two tier shoe rack at a yard sale for $1! It will hold about 50 bars! Now I can get rid of those ugly pepsi cola plastic racks!

I use bakers' racks. My house is full of them! I use them not only for curing soap, but up and down the hallway and along room walls for soap supply storage. We need a bigger house! But the bakers' racks are great. I got mine from Wally World.

drying soap

i use those small indoor green houses i purchased at walmart actually bought 2 and added the racks to the one so i have i think 8 drying shelves works perfect!

I have something like this, I make small 2.4lb batches and each shelf holds 2 of those comfortably. I'm sure I could fit 3 batches if I crammed them. I also bough those plastic needle point sheets and cut to fit the shelves so the air circulates on the bottom of the bars and I never have to worry about proper airing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F51ADK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in south fl and I'm absolutely getting no luck at alllllll with the bread and mushroom racks :(

sugar & oats

I live in south fl and I'm absolutely getting no luck at alllllll with the bread and mushroom racks :(

sugar & oats

I tried doing an online search and found this place below that sells uses boxes and crates cheap, BUT I am not sure if they only sell in larger amounts, it doesn't say, but maybe if one called them and asked really nicely then some nice person on the other end might relent and send you a few? They have lots of different kinds, some are free and some are dirt cheap. Worth a try, maybe?

http://www.spareboxes.com/

I use the big bread trays. I traded those for services in my salon, in total I have 30 trays with two rolling carriers. Each tray will hold 70+ bars of soap.

I use similiar trays, mine are not quite as deep as these. I get them from a farmer buddy at one of my markets for a dollar. They are the type they use for transporting product and they collapse flat for storage. When my rack is full these help fill in for drying space. :-D

If you use something like a cooling rack for the soap, does it leave grid marks on the soap? Or do you put the soap on a cookie sheet, and then place in the cooling rack? If you use something that allows air to come in from the bottom, do you still need to rotate the soap to cure evenly?

If you use something like a cooling rack for the soap, does it leave grid marks on the soap? Or do you put the soap on a cookie sheet, and then place in the cooling rack? If you use something that allows air to come in from the bottom, do you still need to rotate the soap to cure evenly?

No, you do not have to rotate if the soap is getting air from the bottom too. And as for the cooling rack I highly doubt it will considering when the soap in finished curing itès pretty hard.

I use those wire shelves from the hardware store for now. I saw one home made thingy that looks like a bread rack on Pinterest that uses these shelves in a cabinet. Hope to make one soon.

I use wilton stackable cooling racks on a bookshelf. I stack them as high as I can on the shelves and put them away when not needed. I can cure about 15# of soap per box. I love them.

Back