Soap Dough Techniques

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its still too soft to bevel or clean up but here are the hearts I attached
lovespell.jpg

I did a pink grapefruit soap dough cane for the half and half unchallenge a while back. It was a learning process for sure. Hard to keep the size of the cane from growing too large...I would say for soap dough—Its a fun medium once in a while but the sheer amount of time put into crafting with it tends to be a big con for me...

Attachments

• 877653AA-C69F-4A8C-966E-2358732468DD.jpeg
    877653AA-C69F-4A8C-966E-2358732468DD.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 5C753BF9-0F26-4415-8EFE-EA324EF6011E.jpeg
    5C753BF9-0F26-4415-8EFE-EA324EF6011E.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 22
@TashaBird .... so question! I had frosting left over from my last soap and I put it in an air tight container for a couple days and then when I remembered it I kneaded it and press it into some flower silicone molds. How long does it take the dough to dry and able to come out of the molds? Just curious, I just keep poking at them and it's still kinda squishy so I'm scared to pop 'em out, but yet getting impatient to see what they look like!!! :rolleyes:

Is that a color?
Mad Micas are pretty awesome micas! they are so bright and true! My first pink frosting was Mad Micas Tickled Pink!

@TashaBird .... so question! I had frosting left over from my last soap and I put it in an air tight container for a couple days and then when I remembered it I kneaded it and press it into some flower silicone molds. How long does it take the dough to dry and able to come out of the molds? Just curious, I just keep poking at them and it's still kinda squishy so I'm scared to pop 'em out, but yet getting impatient to see what they look like!!! :rolleyes:
I haven’t tried soap dough in a mold yet. So, please report back when you try. I would probably put them in the freezer for an hour first, and then let them sit for 15 minutes to sweat, then pop out carefully, and not touch them for a day or two.

Hey y’all. I made this red soap dough a few weeks ago. I took it out a week ago and sprinkled it with more red mica because it really faded. (Weird because the gelled soap was a good red.) then I wrapped it back up and vacuum sealed it again.
I took it out and tried to use it with a cookie cutter I bought for a specific project. I did a test w the cookie cutter on a different batch and it worked great! This batch is nice and smooth and workable, but still a bit sticky. It mucks up the cookie cutter.
I sprinkled it with arrowroot, smooshed it in real good, wrapped it back up for a day.
It’s still just a bit too sticky to for the cookie cutter.
What else can I do?
Can I leave it out for awhile unwrapped? I don’t want it to harden.
Advice appreciated.

Attachments

• C746D7E6-C5C1-4AC5-A1DD-27CCE2F63893.jpeg
    C746D7E6-C5C1-4AC5-A1DD-27CCE2F63893.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 24
Soap dough..... I just cut my challenge entry soap which after two days in the mold is still super soft. I have leftover ends and thin slices. I can put these in a ziplock baggy and they will stay soft for future embed use?? I've never done any embedding.

Soap dough..... I just cut my challenge entry soap which after two days in the mold is still super soft. I have leftover ends and thin slices. I can put these in a ziplock baggy and they will stay soft for future embed use?? I've never done any embedding.
Yes, you can. If when you are working with it, it is too sticky, you can use a little bit of cornstarch.

Yes, you can. If when you are working with it, it is too sticky, you can use a little bit of cornstarch.
I already used cornstarch. It hasn’t helped.

Try to get as much air out as possible. Then in a few days take it out and work it real good. Then vacuum seal again and save.

Another soap dough question. I’m trying soap dough squished into these molds. I’ve put them on a heating pad. Will they gel? Or is it too late? All dough is at least a month old.

Attachments

• 535AE4C4-03C0-45C1-B754-E7E0A2C11147.jpeg
    535AE4C4-03C0-45C1-B754-E7E0A2C11147.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 21
Another soap dough question. I’m trying soap dough squished into these molds. I’ve put them on a heating pad. Will they gel? Or is it too late? All dough is at least a month old.
your soap is already saponified
all heat will need to be added externally to "gel" your soap dough
if your heat pad can get hot enough, add insulation over the top of the soap

CPOP might work better
use the same heating technique as you would for soap "welding"
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-july-2020-challenge-welded-soap.79925/

Try to get as much air out as possible. Then in a few days take it out and work it real good. Then vacuum seal again and save.

Rats I should have waited for an answer. I tried smooshing it together and it seemed too dry already so I wet my hands and tried that way but all it did was lather up. 😂 So I crumbled it into the beveling scraps pitcher to be used in confetti soap!

Rats I should have waited for an answer. I tried smooshing it together and it seemed too dry already so I wet my hands and tried that way but all it did was lather up. 😂 So I crumbled it into the beveling scraps pitcher to be used in confetti soap!
When I got to clean my hands after working with soap dough, and all I need is water, cause the “mess” is soap! Makes me smile!! I’ve had more than a few attempts that turned to rocks and wound up in confetti bin.

Working on some new embeds. Hoping I ca. Get this designer to work with me in the extruder discs. Every image doesn’t translate to a useable embed. But still excited for what I’ve got so far!

Please pardon the typos.

Attachments

• 10FDC227-A159-4FAF-A9BF-1421BB79E65C.jpeg
    10FDC227-A159-4FAF-A9BF-1421BB79E65C.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 23
  • D3E042C0-55EA-4546-8FD0-2E2B60836C46.jpeg
    D3E042C0-55EA-4546-8FD0-2E2B60836C46.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 33
Working on some new embeds. Hoping I ca. Get this designer to work with me in the extruder discs. Every image doesn’t translate to a useable embed. But still excited for what I’ve got so far!
Wow! That's a massive endeavor. Good job! I'm so impressed.

Back