Soap Dough Techniques

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a challenge going on right now (the one sponsored by Amy Warden) and it is the lollipop swirl. However for the advanced category you have to do something on the outside of the circle, either piping, an impression mat or a soap dough rim. I have been working on the soap dough rim and it has been such fun! I never thought I could do it. Here's one of the rims (not a good lollipop though).

I just watched Lisa's , from I Dream in Soap, YouTube entry video for that challenge! It was pretty cool!!!

Well this looks like fun!

And to think I have all the supplies at home to make it! I don't even know how to do soap dough yet and I still want to make this DIY extruder!:oops::p

And to think I have all the supplies at home to make it! I don't even know how to do soap dough yet and I still want to make this DIY extruder!:oops::p
I’ve been making my own soap dough from left over bits for awhile, and I’ve been looking at fancier extruder. Thing is, I have a powerful wood burner tool, because I do pyrography on bone. And, I’m wondering, if I do it outside, if I can cut my own end caps for this kind of extruder.
I’ve been thinking of trying the wood burner tool for makin soapscrapers.

Now there’s this guy too! Wondering if it might not be easier to have custom dies made. SUPER DUPER CLAY GUN - Scott Creek Pottery MADE IN USA

I follow the instructions in the I Dream Of Soap YouTube video for making soap dough and I use left over batters from my regular recipes.

The Artway Extruder is so much less talked about, but the more I look at it, the more I’m considering it. My only issue with it is that to use a motor you have to use their $450 motorized version, where the Lucy has an adapter bit for a drill bit.

The Artway REALLY could use some more information on their website. I swear some folks make it way too hard to learn about their products!!! It appears as though maybe the ”ultra” version has an adapter for a drill now. If that’s the case, I may go for it. But, can’t get the stupid security feature to work on the gosh darned contact form, and I’ve tried dozens of times! FFS.

Attachments

• 2F36A391-F5A7-4405-80B9-D8FE8ADC23BD.jpeg
    2F36A391-F5A7-4405-80B9-D8FE8ADC23BD.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 17
I have Bee Lyata’s book on soap dough. There are at least 17 recipes in the book for soap dough as well as detailed instructions.
So far I’ve just used left over bits from my pull through soaps. There’s always a few ounces. I’ll even design a pull through just to have certain colors of dough that i want for something. So, I will probably use the same recipe when I finally do make soap JUST for dough. I did get a response from Bee in her Facebook group about the stickiness of some dough recently and she suggested reducing the amount of water. So, I may try that sooner than later.

So far I’ve just used left over bits from my pull through soaps. There’s always a few ounces. I’ll even design a pull through just to have certain colors of dough that i want for something. So, I will probably use the same recipe when I finally do make soap JUST for dough. I did get a response from Bee in her Facebook group about the stickiness of some dough recently and she suggested reducing the amount of water. So, I may try that sooner than later.
I find that after wrapping the soap dough in plastic wrap, it’s best to wait 3 days. After that time, the dough is no longer sticky. I don’t mind making soap dough, I don’t fragrance it, so it’s easy.

I find that after wrapping the soap dough in plastic wrap, it’s best to wait 3 days. After that time, the dough is no longer sticky. I don’t mind making soap dough, I don’t fragrance it, so it’s easy.
I wrap it in plastic wrap and then vacuum seal it in a container. Mine is usually ready after 3 days. But, I have a new source of tallow that is much softer than I’m used to. I don’t care for the softer tallow, but now I have to use it. I think that’s why my dough is behaving differently than I’m used to.

I wrap it in plastic wrap and then vacuum seal it in a container. Mine is usually ready after 3 days. But, I have a new source of tallow that is much softer than I’m used to. I don’t care for the softer tallow, but now I have to use it. I think that’s why my dough is behaving differently than I’m used to.
You’re right, change one ingredient and it’s all different.

First attempt at using a cookie cutter to make an embed. I think this is where one of those rolling machine that looks like a pasta maker would come in handy. It is hard to roll the dough out even.

Attachments

• 3185E5D3-4EBB-44EC-AED2-581FAA3E4EC9.jpeg
    3185E5D3-4EBB-44EC-AED2-581FAA3E4EC9.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 15
I just use my rolling pin - I use parchment paper on top on the soap dough - sort of a soap dough sandwich.
The differences with the rolling pin are starting to add up when I’m trying to piece a zillion of these together. It’s not much, but I think the roller thing might be better for this. Or maybe I need a bigger rolling pin. This was just a test anyway. I’ve got to make more of the color I need.

The differences with the rolling pin are starting to add up when I’m trying to piece a zillion of these together. It’s not much, but I think the roller thing might be better for this. Or maybe I need a bigger rolling pin. This was just a test anyway. I’ve got to make more of the color I need.
I've used a guide before when I needed to roll something evenly with a rolling pin. I glued two dowel rods the width of my rolling pin and rolled dough between it with the rolling pin on the dowels. I just used hot glue and it peeled right off my old nasty laminate countertop. 🙄😬

I also have a small rolling thingy, bought on Amazon, but it isn’t great, because it has no heft like the regular rolling pin does.

I've used a guide before when I needed to roll something evenly with a rolling pin. I glued two dowel rods the width of my rolling pin and rolled dough between it with the rolling pin on the dowels. I just used hot glue and it peeled right off my old nasty laminate countertop. 🙄😬
Get outta here with y’all’s good idea when I’m trying to buy a new toy! 😂 JK, I’d rather buy supplies. The guide is a great idea, thank you!

Im going to be cutting out soap dough hearts to put on the soap I just poured after its cut. It works really well when the bars are just cut. Ive done it with daisies before and they stuck just like it was always part of the bar.

Im going to be cutting out soap dough hearts to put on the soap I just poured after its cut. It works really well when the bars are just cut. Ive done it with daisies before and they stuck just like it was always part of the bar.
You just smoosh the hearts into the surface of the bar when the bar is still soft? Do you let the hearts harden a little?

You just smoosh the hearts into the surface of the bar when the bar is still soft? Do you let the hearts harden a little?
I cut the bars, roll out and cut the hearts, spread a little water on the back of the hearts, place them and lightly press them on evenly. no smooshing needed. see page 1 for the daisies i did the same way.

Back