Soap Dough Techniques

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m obsessed. So far, I’ve used left over soap batter to make soap dough. But, now I have so many ideas that I may actually make dough soon, just for dough! I’ve been using my extruder, I’ve rolled tubes, and I’ve made little balls. But, I’d like to learn what else is out there. Like have you seen some of the crazy polymer clay stuff?! Holy smokes! Rose and poppy canes, Natasha swirl....
What have you made? What are you interested in? Have you used cookie cutters? Please share your favorite soap dough ideas, links, videos, tools.

I like making embeds with it. Usually sculpted ones but also with molds. for Christmas time I use the embeds to make a hybrid/cp and mp snow globe soap.
Another use is doing soap veneers (inlaid), where you scrape the bar with a tool and fill with soap dough.
If your soap dough is sticky it works well for stenciling as well:

Also, here is how I made my flower embeds that come so handy when a soap goes south and are just made with little balls.

I’m obsessed. So far, I’ve used left over soap batter to make soap dough. But, now I have so many ideas that I may actually make dough soon, just for dough! I’ve been using my extruder, I’ve rolled tubes, and I’ve made little balls. But, I’d like to learn what else is out there. Like have you seen some of the crazy polymer clay stuff?! Holy smokes! Rose and poppy canes, Natasha swirl....
What have you made? What are you interested in? Have you used cookie cutters? Please share your favorite soap dough ideas, links, videos, tools.
I have fallen down the same rabbit hole.
I have used the cutters you use for fondant. Its how I did the soap dough daisies on my latest soap. I used a 5 petal flower cutter then flattened each petal a bit and put the orange center on by making a small ball and flattening it.
I did the butterflies also with a fondant cutter but their shape I got from a clay tutorial.
130813233_384373789438658_3033739119626466905_n.jpg

Also got the bears from a clay tutorial
bears and roses.jpg

Ive done penguins and snowmen and gnomes from Sorcery Soap videos

In the rimmed challenge (I think in 2019) one or several participants used soap dough to create the rim.

I have used soap dough to create leaves, apple stems, balls, stacked flowers, and marshmallows. A few years ago my daughter made lollipops from soap dough for a soap topper. I'm not very artistic with modeling, so I tend to keep things simple.

There's a challenge going on right now (the one sponsored by Amy Warden) and it is the lollipop swirl. However for the advanced category you have to do something on the outside of the circle, either piping, an impression mat or a soap dough rim. I have been working on the soap dough rim and it has been such fun! I never thought I could do it. Here's one of the rims (not a good lollipop though).

Attachments

• D13A6301-A796-4ABA-89DD-82374DB8C9D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    D13A6301-A796-4ABA-89DD-82374DB8C9D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 55
I have that one too. I'd like a larger capacity of dough, with the extension it only does the shortest little cane. Then I have to piece them together. And, it is brutal on the hands cranking it a ZILLION times, even to undo it! They could at least have a quick release for when it's empty!! I'm considering trying to modify it to adapt to the chrdless drill, but may wind up ruining it. If it works though, it'd be a huge improvement! So, all those issues have me comparing the two I posted above. I'd like to do a LOT more extruding!

@linne1gi When I attempt my mechanical modification of the walnut Hollow, I’ll report back here on how it goes.

I"m back to trying to decide between two top of the line extruders. Because someday I'll have a job again... disc size and variety, price, motorized, hand crank vs pump... It's a LOT! What do you all think?
Czextruder HD & LC Disks | Lucy Clay Tools
Hobby Extruders
So the plates in @linne1gi link/post are similar to ones I have for a cookie press I have and never use. I wonder if I could use the soap dough in my cookie press... 🤔 What do you use the extruded soap dough for? I’m very curious!

I'm pretty sure you can use your cookie press. I personally use the extruded soap dough for embeds. The soap I picture here has embeds - these are pretty standard - but they can get very elaborate.
Cool! Thanks for the picture! I get it now! Looks like I’m gonna make some soap dough!

Back