Soap Dough Techniques

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw this cool tool in a sorcery soap dough FB group. For folks with hand issues, this could be great! Thought I’d put it here. NeverKnead polymer clay tool.
The NEVERknead Polymer Clay Kneading (Conditioning) Machine Tool for all clay
Interesting... look closely and you can see that it is a bench (arbor) press! This is the same tool we were discussing over in the bath bomb thread, with a flat disk attachment on the pressing end. As handy as you are, Tasha, I bet you could buy the $69 version of the bench press for making bath bombs, and rig up the flat disk attachment when you want to knead soap dough.

Edited: if you look at their parts page, it says right there that it is an arbor press, and that if you have one of those already, they will sell you just the end pieces needed to use it for kneading.

Interesting... look closely and you can see that it is a bench (arbor) press! This is the same tool we were discussing over in the bath bomb thread, with a flat disk attachment on the pressing end. As handy as you are, Tasha, I bet you could buy the $69 version of the bench press for making bath bombs, and rig up the flat disk attachment when you want to knead soap dough.

Edited: if you look at their parts page, it says right there that it is an arbor press, and that if you have one of those already, they will sell you just the end pieces needed to use it for kneading.
I like massaging my dough. It’s a good workout for my hands. But, I had seen other folks on here using tools for kneading, and I thought this was another cool option to add to the list. I thought it looked too small for bath bombs. But, maybe it could work for the little ones.

I like massaging my dough. It’s a good workout for my hands. But, I had seen other folks on here using tools for kneading, and I thought this was another cool option to add to the list. I thought it looked too small for bath bombs. But, maybe it could work for the little ones.
Oh interesting, I assumed it was the same size as the ones the youtubers use for bath bombs. Thanks for clarifying. 😊

Any tips on how to blacken up my black soap dough? I used oxide for the first time and didn’t use enough. Now it’s grey.

Attachments

• A0006181-56DF-441D-A33C-A376CF624C09.jpeg
    A0006181-56DF-441D-A33C-A376CF624C09.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 16
Any tips on how to blacken up my black soap dough? I used oxide for the first time and didn’t use enough. Now it’s grey.
My best bad idea: Disperse a bit more black oxide in a tiny bit of oil using one corner of a plastic bag, which you will not be able to clean. Carefully snip the corner, add it to the soap dough, and work it in thoroughly using gloves, which will also turn black or at least gray.

Last edited:
This is the point at which I would normally use my food processor to blend in a little more colour at a time until I got the result I wanted... But be warned! I did this for over an hour once and caused the blade housing to melt! So I recommend using this technique in moderation :rolleyes:

One of the things I love about the big discs is the capacity of the jerky gun. I loaded it one time and made 7 18” embeds! Large discs with small designs.
This is how I do it.

Attachments

• ED3F01C1-2C22-4A59-96DB-BA16A25F9DBA.jpeg
    ED3F01C1-2C22-4A59-96DB-BA16A25F9DBA.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 0AAC0FC3-1051-41B3-B8C5-C1E9E5AB4CC8.jpeg
    0AAC0FC3-1051-41B3-B8C5-C1E9E5AB4CC8.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 01E02AA6-C21D-422C-B396-4ABE2107D478.jpeg
    01E02AA6-C21D-422C-B396-4ABE2107D478.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 9
Although I'm afraid I won't use this technique for a while yet, I'm curious as to how long soap dough can remain pliable. If I keep it completely sealed do I have to worry about it drying out at some point?

I would add a little more next time. It’s a tricky balance to get it dark enough to be black, but not so dark that it sheds black oddly.
Got it! I didn’t totally understand you wanted this batch darker. You can work in mica colorant to an already made batch, but it takes time to get it smooth. I pre disperse it really well in just a dash of oil or water, and then work that paste in slowly.

One of the things I love about the big discs is the capacity of the jerky gun. I loaded it one time and made 7 18” embeds! Large discs with small designs.
This is how I do it.

I have a jerky gun, but I got so sick of fooling with it, I got the large extruder gun from I Dream In Soap, which I then know matches with her disks. It’s amazing how much easier it is to do large batches now!

Watermelon seeds, trees, you name it!

Back