Soap Dough Techniques

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I’ve recovered from my “Soap DOH!” experience, as the hubs called it, I’ve got a plan for a test batch. Hoping to use a variant on my regular recipe, so that I don’t have to buy new ingredients, (and so it jives with my soap, if that’s a thing).
Uncertain still about adding the sugar, and the lye %. SS recipe is %31.6.
What do y’all think?

Attachments

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like to have some unscented, and it can take awhile for my pull rough left over batter to firm up enough. So, I’m going to try to meet in the middle given all these factors.

I don’t have any lard, so I’m going to give it another go with a variation on my regular recipes, given what I learned in this fiasco. Also, this will be a smaller batch!
I watched a tutorial recently that said to specifically prevent gelling. Like keep everything under 90F, pour into a plastic airtight bag, lay flat on a cool counter. Can you explain a bit about why you say to make sure that it does gel?
I meant to gel the final soap with the embed in place. You don’t want your soap dough to gel. Sorry I confused you.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your hand issues. I prefer kneading to using a tool I have to grip and press down on. With my Dupuytren's, kneading is actually therapeutic, whereas gripping or squeezing certain things requires me to wear padded gloves to decrease pain (which I do when I drive, for example.)

Pamela Carver

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The black lab is cute. I made my first one last weekend. Now to make some plain bars of soap to stencil <3

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw this cool tool in a sorcery soap dough FB group. For folks with hand issues, this could be great! Thought I’d put it here. NeverKnead polymer clay tool.
The NEVERknead Polymer Clay Kneading (Conditioning) Machine Tool for all clay
Interesting... look closely and you can see that it is a bench (arbor) press! This is the same tool we were discussing over in the bath bomb thread, with a flat disk attachment on the pressing end. As handy as you are, Tasha, I bet you could buy the $69 version of the bench press for making bath bombs, and rig up the flat disk attachment when you want to knead soap dough.

Edited: if you look at their parts page, it says right there that it is an arbor press, and that if you have one of those already, they will sell you just the end pieces needed to use it for kneading.

glendam

Supporting Member
Reaction score

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting... look closely and you can see that it is a bench (arbor) press! This is the same tool we were discussing over in the bath bomb thread, with a flat disk attachment on the pressing end. As handy as you are, Tasha, I bet you could buy the $69 version of the bench press for making bath bombs, and rig up the flat disk attachment when you want to knead soap dough.

Edited: if you look at their parts page, it says right there that it is an arbor press, and that if you have one of those already, they will sell you just the end pieces needed to use it for kneading.
I like massaging my dough. It’s a good workout for my hands. But, I had seen other folks on here using tools for kneading, and I thought this was another cool option to add to the list. I thought it looked too small for bath bombs. But, maybe it could work for the little ones.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I like massaging my dough. It’s a good workout for my hands. But, I had seen other folks on here using tools for kneading, and I thought this was another cool option to add to the list. I thought it looked too small for bath bombs. But, maybe it could work for the little ones.
Oh interesting, I assumed it was the same size as the ones the youtubers use for bath bombs. Thanks for clarifying. 😊