Quantcast

Soap Dough Techniques

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

sarahmarah

Reaction score
I did a pink grapefruit soap dough cane for the half and half unchallenge a while back. It was a learning process for sure. Hard to keep the size of the cane from growing too large...I would say for soap dough—Its a fun medium once in a while but the sheer amount of time put into crafting with it tends to be a big con for me...

Attachments

violets2217

Reaction score
@TashaBird .... so question! I had frosting left over from my last soap and I put it in an air tight container for a couple days and then when I remembered it I kneaded it and press it into some flower silicone molds. How long does it take the dough to dry and able to come out of the molds? Just curious, I just keep poking at them and it's still kinda squishy so I'm scared to pop 'em out, but yet getting impatient to see what they look like!!! :rolleyes:

Is that a color?
Mad Micas are pretty awesome micas! they are so bright and true! My first pink frosting was Mad Micas Tickled Pink!

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TashaBird .... so question! I had frosting left over from my last soap and I put it in an air tight container for a couple days and then when I remembered it I kneaded it and press it into some flower silicone molds. How long does it take the dough to dry and able to come out of the molds? Just curious, I just keep poking at them and it's still kinda squishy so I'm scared to pop 'em out, but yet getting impatient to see what they look like!!! :rolleyes:
I haven’t tried soap dough in a mold yet. So, please report back when you try. I would probably put them in the freezer for an hour first, and then let them sit for 15 minutes to sweat, then pop out carefully, and not touch them for a day or two.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all. I made this red soap dough a few weeks ago. I took it out a week ago and sprinkled it with more red mica because it really faded. (Weird because the gelled soap was a good red.) then I wrapped it back up and vacuum sealed it again.
I took it out and tried to use it with a cookie cutter I bought for a specific project. I did a test w the cookie cutter on a different batch and it worked great! This batch is nice and smooth and workable, but still a bit sticky. It mucks up the cookie cutter.
I sprinkled it with arrowroot, smooshed it in real good, wrapped it back up for a day.
It’s still just a bit too sticky to for the cookie cutter.
What else can I do?
Can I leave it out for awhile unwrapped? I don’t want it to harden.
Advice appreciated.

Attachments

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Soap dough..... I just cut my challenge entry soap which after two days in the mold is still super soft. I have leftover ends and thin slices. I can put these in a ziplock baggy and they will stay soft for future embed use?? I've never done any embedding.

glendam

Reaction score
Soap dough..... I just cut my challenge entry soap which after two days in the mold is still super soft. I have leftover ends and thin slices. I can put these in a ziplock baggy and they will stay soft for future embed use?? I've never done any embedding.
Yes, you can. If when you are working with it, it is too sticky, you can use a little bit of cornstarch.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can. If when you are working with it, it is too sticky, you can use a little bit of cornstarch.
I already used cornstarch. It hasn’t helped.

Try to get as much air out as possible. Then in a few days take it out and work it real good. Then vacuum seal again and save.

Another soap dough question. I’m trying soap dough squished into these molds. I’ve put them on a heating pad. Will they gel? Or is it too late? All dough is at least a month old.

Attachments

Marsi

Reaction score
Another soap dough question. I’m trying soap dough squished into these molds. I’ve put them on a heating pad. Will they gel? Or is it too late? All dough is at least a month old.
your soap is already saponified
all heat will need to be added externally to "gel" your soap dough
if your heat pad can get hot enough, add insulation over the top of the soap

CPOP might work better
use the same heating technique as you would for soap "welding"
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-july-2020-challenge-welded-soap.79925/

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Try to get as much air out as possible. Then in a few days take it out and work it real good. Then vacuum seal again and save.
Rats I should have waited for an answer. I tried smooshing it together and it seemed too dry already so I wet my hands and tried that way but all it did was lather up. 😂 So I crumbled it into the beveling scraps pitcher to be used in confetti soap!

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rats I should have waited for an answer. I tried smooshing it together and it seemed too dry already so I wet my hands and tried that way but all it did was lather up. 😂 So I crumbled it into the beveling scraps pitcher to be used in confetti soap!
When I got to clean my hands after working with soap dough, and all I need is water, cause the “mess” is soap! Makes me smile!! I’ve had more than a few attempts that turned to rocks and wound up in confetti bin.

SoapWitch

Sorcery Soap Witch
Reaction score
Hi all! Just saw this thread and thought I'd offer what I've been working on. Stenciling with soap dough. There are so many possibilities and choices.
It's a quick and easy way to change the face of a soap. I've made soaps that are less than appealing, and for some reason I haven't pursued this in depth until recently. Now, I've made a host of unique stencils designed for stenciling on bars of soap.
Have you used stencils with soap yet?
How to Stencil with Soap Dough | Cold Process Soap

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts