Soap dough - oil or alcohol to paint embeds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CpnDouchette

Reaction score
I have done a quick search but struggling to pin down an answer so apologies if it's been asked before.

I've made some soap dough embeds for the top of my soap, I'd like to colour these gold. What's the best carrier / medium? A light weight oil or alcohol? I'm veering towards alcohol because I'm not sure the oil will absorb now the dough has cured but thought I'd check with the hive mind!
Thanks in advance

Edit: Or could I just roll them around in mica - would that work?

Last edited:
Dry brushing might work. It will be a more subtle effect, but less will transfer to hands when touched. If you want to paint, I’d try both alcohol and oil, maybe on a bar you don’t care about experimenting with, or just a small area of the embed on one bar first.

eta: @CpnDouchette I thought the soap was already made with the embeds attached. If it isn’t, you can roll them in mica. I’ve done that to make an outlined effect for embeds in (not on top) of the soap. I do remember some mica transfer when handling, but it all washes off in the first couple of uses.

Last edited:
I've seen YouTube videos where people have put them in a zip lock bag with some mica and shook it around for a bit.

Hmmm. Have not colored soap dough after making. However you could try liquid soap colorants with a brush.

Last edited:
I have done a quick search but struggling to pin down an answer so apologies if it's been asked before.

I've made some soap dough embeds for the top of my soap, I'd like to colour these gold. What's the best carrier / medium? A light weight oil or alcohol? I'm veering towards alcohol because I'm not sure the oil will absorb now the dough has cured but thought I'd check with the hive mind!
Thanks in advance

Edit: Or could I just roll them around in mica - would that work?
You could just roll them in mica, if painting with a brush though, I would use alcohol as the medium.

Back