Soap dough and late superfat/colour/FO addition

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update (age: 294 days)
soap_dough_T+294d.jpg
Time for a final update, just before these soaps will suffer an unpleasant fate.

Over nearly a year, the extracted leaf green is still a noticeable hue, but has mostly faded. The leaf-powder greens have kept their dark olive colour, and so has the sunflower purĆ©e. Both the caramel and the cocoa powder have lightened up a tiny bit, and lost their tinge to converge to a more neutral brown. Butterfly pea was a major failure, it faded entirely and has become the lightest of the ā€œdarkā€ colours.
The ungelled halvex kept their waxy, opaque appearance, as the emergency CPOP soaps (right) stayed deeper, more translucent, and darker in colour.

Bee from Sorcery soap always advices to avoid gel phase for soap dough, the reason is that gel phase creates an undesirable texture in the soap dough. I have seen it in some of mine, it gets lumps that are not ideal when a smooth finish is than
Thank you so much for this advice! That is what I am dealing with in my dough, and I have dug and dug for an answer online about it. All of my soaps usually go through gel unless I stop it, so I will definitely make a new batch. These little spots are a nightmare to deal with.

Thank you so much for this advice! That is what I am dealing with in my dough, and I have dug and dug for an answer online about it. All of my soaps usually go through gel unless I stop it, so I will definitely make a new batch. These little spots are a nightmare to deal with.
Just keep in mind you might need to use more colorant if you want more vibrant colors when you avoid gel phase. However I usually only need to make adjustments for red, which is usually problematic as far as soap dough texture goes anyway.

Just keep in mind you might need to use more colorant if you want more vibrant colors when you avoid gel phase. However I usually only need to make adjustments for red, which is usually problematic as far as soap dough texture goes anyway.
Thank you :) And I think you have sent me a little boy disc for a certain project....it was so cool to see the advice coming from you . Made me smile.

Back