soap discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

wholemadefarm

Reaction score
We made a few batches of soaps a week ago and have two of the soaps with unique discoloration that we are trying to problem solve before making more
the recipe is
14 oz olive oil
10 oz coconut oil
7 oz lard
1.75 castor oil
1.75 sweet almond
milk 3.67
2 tsp honey
sodium lactate

the lye was 5.08 oz
water 7.6oz

we keep the temps low and mix between 80 and 90, making sure they are always within 5 degrees. We use a little bit of stick blending to emulsion as ours tends to heat up and go thick because of the additives. We do not put through gel nor do we insulate ours normally as we use honey and milk in all of them (our niche as we have dairy cows and raise bees :) )

The first soap that is green, red and yellow was scented with nuture soap white tea and pear 1.25 oz (recommended medium scent amount on their calculator). the green color was pistacio with green chrome from brambleberry and rustic escentuals. As you can see from the picture, half way up the soap, the green color is orangy looking. We colored about 3/4 of batch of soap green all at the same time, poured a base, then were trying for tear drop shape. The discolored green areas are exactly the same batch and color as the base, but were poured from the sides together. Then. . . we ran out of the green LOL So we used the remaining brick red and sunburst sparkle to top it off. The picture from the side, shows the texture is also off from the discoloration on up. The top shows how white and ash it is, plus it is also a bit crumbly and I'm wondering is it deep ashing? If so, what did we do that caused this now when we haven't experienced it any other time?

The next soap we are showing was same recipe but used 40/42 lavender essential oil from brambleberry . We were trying for the first time to only color with clays, indigo, etc and nothing was working well. It was supposed to be clamshell swirl but it went grainy and wouldn't pour nicely . Anyway, it has the dreaded DOS which is a first for us, and we are wondering if you have any suggestions or helpful advice on why? Also has ash on top.

The last soap I had another question about . It was with the scent jeweled fir from nurture soap and we used caribbean blue from brambleberry to color it. The dark blue that you can see in the drop swirl is indigo, but the caribean blue from brambleberry is now green - the soap was all shades of blue and now looks like camouflage (my oh so helpful husband pointed out). Any ideas why? We used a touch of titanium dioxide with the caribbean blue for the lightest color (which is the bottom of the soap and should have been light blue).which we keep pre mixed with oil and ball bearing in a squirt bottle for convenience and to keep it from causing white specks. But we see there are white flecks in the three good soaps . . . how frustrating. Any recommendations? The titanium dioxide is from brambleberry and says to disperse in oil which we did (sweet almond).

Thank you so much for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

wholemadefarm

Reaction score
I accidentally double posted - how do I delete a thread? and anybody who has wonderful suggestions for us, please post on the other thread that is going - I would love all opinions!

Latest posts