Soap Cutters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrie28

Reaction score
Hello fellow soapmakers

I want to order a new soap cutter. I’ve looked at the multi cutters which look great. I just want to be sure about the wire distance.The website has given me multiple choices so now I’m in a world of confusion. It will be posted from overseas so I really don’t want to make a mistake. Can anyone help me with this?

I envy you your choice! Most cutters here in the US don't come with an option and the distance is 1 inch apart, which I find to be too small, due to subsequent shrinkage. If I had had a choice, I would have chosen 1.5 inch wide soap cuts for the oblong shaped soaps. (Or maybe even 2 inches wide.)

But many people also like square shaped soaps, and make those as well, so if I had a multi-cutter for square soaps, I'd base it on the mold I prefer for producing square soaps. Right now I use a ruler to get them even & use a single wire cutter to create even sized squares.

But that's just me. I like larger soaps except when I travel, but at home, yes, I'm a chunky soap gal.

Perhaps you should determine what dimensions YOU prefer in a soap, and then plan for shrinkage (with cure) and choose your distance of the wires based on your personal preference.

If you plan to sell, though, you might want your soap to fit into whatever standard packaging is available in Australia, in which case, I'd still look at at least 1/4 inch wider to accommodate cure shrinkage.

It's so subjective! @earlene has some good advice, and at the end of the day there's probably no 'wrong' choice unless you have a strict need for them to be a particular thickness (in which case you'd most likely know that already?)
For me, I like tiny bars since I have little hands 🤣 The size I finally settled on as my preferred bar is 5cm X 7.5cm X 2.25cm. it's probably very nonstandard, but it's easy to grip and wears out fast enough that I don't get thoroughly sick of one bar before I feel justified in changing to the next...

Last edited:
My soap cutter cuts at 1.1" (2.79 cm). That size is perfect for the tall skinny molds, but it makes a big bar (to hold) when I use the regular loaf mold (167 gm vs 126 gm for the T/S bar) (5.89 oz vs 4.4 oz).

Hi ,
You’ve received lots of wonderful recommendations from the ever caring and sharing members.

I think it might be best to first experiment with your current loaf - cut them in a variety of sizes and widths ; weigh them before and after cure ; use them to see how they fit in your hands. And then decide what size you require.

It will also depend on your packaging choice.
I bought a sample box from Heirloom and found that it did not fit my loaf soap, but fit the slab ( the height is lower ).

I was happy with a 1 inch size and bought mine from Nurture Soap. They offered different shipping options, I chose the cheapest ( border guru) and was happy with the time taken ( it took 2 weeks to arrive). I also added in some micas which slightly increased the shipping rate.

All the sites I had looked at charged extra for customising size. But if that’s what you want, better to pay for the variation.

The shipping rates were almost the same (if not more) ,than the price of the cutters, on other sites.

Thank you all so much for the information. My little tiny wooden cutter that my sister bought me as a gift broke yesterday gggrrrr. I had a fun time this morning cutting with a cheese slicer :shakinghead:. Im thinking I might go with the single slicer. As much as I would love a multi slicer im not making a huge amount of soap at present also the price is playing a big part in my decision. Fingers crossed the delivery doesn't take to long. Im very impatient. :rolleyes:

I ordered mine according to the box dimensions I ordered. The boxes I ordered are 1 1/8 wide so I ordered a unit that would cut 1inch so I don’t fight them into the box.

Latest posts

Back