Soap cutters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anniet8777

Reaction score
Can someone please recommend a good economical soap cutter? At this time I’m making soap on a small scale using a wavy cutter slicing free hand. I find I’m not that great at getting a uniform size with my soaps. I don’t need a big fancy cutter that cuts the whole loaf at once but would like a cutter that will guide my cut and the ability to use both a strait cutter and my wavy. I was looking at some miter boxes but would like recommendations on a good quality one. Also, I find my strait cutter doesn’t cut so well, the soap sticks to it and makes for a rough cut.
Thanks!!

There are several soap cutting boxes out there and most are about 30 to 40 dollars. here is one you might want to look at.
https://www.bulkapothecary.com/prod...ScY1wmsor3zT9LTORP76L_OgGOq-1gyYaAiPMEALw_wcB

You can easily make one for a few dollars. Cut a wood board (which is wide enough for your soap loaf) to length (I recommend at least the lenth of your soap loaf plus the thickness of the cut soap bar plus another inch or 2) as a base. So if your loaf is 12 inches long and you want the thickness of each bar to be 2 inches, you get 12 inches for loaf mold plus 2 inches for thickness plus an extra 2 inches for safety you get a base length of 16 inches.

Cut 2 pieces of wood the same length as your base. These will need to be taller than your loaf mold sitting on the base. So if your loaf is 4 inches tall, you then add the thickness of your base board plus an inch. So, your loaf is 4 inches tall, your wood base board is 1/2 inch thick (can be whatever thickness you like) you add 4 inches for loaf, 1/2 inch for the base plus an inch and you get 5 1/2 inches (round up to 6 inches).

Nail the sides to you base and then nail a piece of wood as a cap on one end. Measure in from the cap whatever thickness you want your soap to be and cut a slot on each side. You have made a cutter.

Mitre boxes work but you need to make sure it is tall enough for your soap. You can also use a wood soap mold and cut slots in it at one end for the soap cutter. Another option is to buy a wire cheese cutter.

When I used a mitre box, I actually liked the $5 one from home depot best. Because it was plastic, it was very easy to clean! You might have to widen the slots for the wavy cutter, I never tried using one with it.

One thing that is annoying with a mitrebox is the inability of the blade to go past the base of the soap. So it often cuts unevenly at the bottom and it always cuts the slices unevenly because the soap moves for me. But the best thing to do is block up the side slots of the mitrebox so the blade wiggles as little as possible.

What about a cheese cutter - single wire one with a slot where the wire can go past the base of the log? They are around $10 or so.

A drywall knife of the right size for the mitre box, and the right mitre box (they are not all created equal) works for a complete cut. Although I still didn't manage totally straight cuts because the soap did move around a bit and the drywall knife did have a bit of wiggle room within the slot of the box. A crinkle cutter would not fit in this mitre box shown below, but I don't use that cut much anyway.

full

I started using the above in May of 2016 and stuck with it until I bought a single bar Bud Cutter the following Sept. But for travel, I still use my pastry knife as a cutter as it takes up the least amount of travel space.

Back