Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolesica

Reaction score
Hi all! I have been looking at getting a good “push-thru” cutter here in the near future. Unfortunately, I have a $100 budget. Currently I use just single 3.5lb molds, and have the R.E.D cutter from essential depot—which I love. But, I am hoping to branch off into slab molds here soon & I seriously cannot make a straight cut to save my life—so a push thru is going to be needed.

Any advice?

The low reviews seem to be mostly about the wire breaking, and also reference M&P - which cannot be cut with a wire.

Replacement wires are cheap, esp from music stores if you look for stainless steel unwound G string for a guitar. So although I haven’t purchased this exact brand, my sense is that it would work just fine as long as the wire slots are of even heights so the cuts are straight.

The low reviews seem to be mostly about the wire breaking, and also reference M&P - which cannot be cut with a wire.

Replacement wires are cheap, esp from music stores if you look for stainless steel unwound G string for a guitar. So although I haven’t purchased this exact brand, my sense is that it would work just fine as long as the wire slots are of even heights so the cuts are straight.
Thank you! I think I’ll probably try this one out. I’ve been learning on here that super thin cuts on exteriors and horizontal cuts can reveal much more beautiful soaps using certain techniques. You are all SO inspiring.

Whelp, I finally did it. @AliOop after all of your info on the Hercules and everyone’s input and tons of research… I ended up buying a little Hercules for myself. I almost went with the Caterpillar, but I saw their Cheshire Cat stand and had to get that, too, so… in the end $50 made the difference. I don’t do this professionally, but I might when I retire, so that—and all of these challenges I’ve gotten myself into—were my justification for the investment.

I’m so excited… I cannot wait until it gets here!! 🤓

I hope you like it as much as I do! I do still use my multi-bar cutter the most, since it gives me the most consistent bars. But the Hercules is wonderful for cutting soap from slab molds into loaves, or for making horizontal cuts when that is required for specific soap designs.

I hope you like it as much as I do! I do still use my multi-bar cutter the most, since it gives me the most consistent bars. But the Hercules is wonderful for cutting soap from slab molds into loaves, or for making horizontal cuts when that is required for specific soap designs.
And as an added bonus—it looks so COOL 😎

I must be missing something (talent and skill for starters) - I got a Hercules for Christmas and I’m struggling with it. Maybe I’m making the wire too taut? Maybe I’m not holding the soap properly against the side wall? Or my tongue on the right side of my mouth? 🤷

Oh @janesathome I'm so sorry to hear that! I will agree, my bars aren't perfect with the Hercules, but they are far better than when I tried to cut freehand. I do have to be sure that the wire is quite taut, and pressed right against the side posts. I also get better cuts if I place the cutter on a lower surface than my soaping table. Apparently my coordination goes down as my arms and shoulders go up. Seriously, though, maybe try putting it on a lower surface so that all the pressure from your arms is going straight down, instead of trying to hold your arms up while simultaneously trying to press down. Does that make sense?

Oh @janesathome I'm so sorry to hear that! I will agree, my bars aren't perfect with the Hercules, but they are far better than when I tried to cut freehand. I do have to be sure that the wire is quite taut, and pressed right against the side posts. I also get better cuts if I place the cutter on a lower surface than my soaping table. Apparently my coordination goes down as my arms and shoulders go up. Seriously, though, maybe try putting it on a lower surface so that all the pressure from your arms is going straight down, instead of trying to hold your arms up while simultaneously trying to press down. Does that make sense?
Thanks, that does make sense and I will trya lower surface. I am getting crooked cuts, and my sharp knife and mitre box make much smoother cuts as well (the wire seems to leave draggy marks although I have the wire VERY taut). I think I will have to get used to drag marks, but I am determined to figure out straight cuts!

Hmmm, do you have botanicals or other decorations on the soap tops? If so, turning the loaf so the botanicals face sideways instead of up will eliminate the drag marks.

I'm considering buying a soap cutter too since my farm went out of business recently.
I need a Long Loaf cutter so I'm thinking either Essential Depo or SoapEquipment.com.
I think i like ED's cutter and ED's stackable molds to fit the cutter bc

ED cutter $263 (w/ member discount):
Soap Cutter - Long Loaf - Perfectly Cuts 1 Inch Bars: Essential Depot

SE cutter $398
-------------- Long Loaf Cutter

$263 vs $398
plus soapequipment's molds i'd have to buy to fit the cutter would also more pricey

should Brambleberry's cutter be in consideration here?
------ Multi-Bar Cutter

Just wanted to mention that I like ED's dolly w stackable drying system but I've always cured on ss or glass, rather than plastic, which has a less favorable electrical charge.

I have no idea. I've never owned a cutting machine before, but if a soap cutter can cut any size loaf then why does Essential Depo and SoapEquipment.com sell both regular & long loaf cutters?

I thought I needed molds to fit the cutter bc I thought my current molds were too high, but I went back to check that on the manufacturer website and maybe i was wrong and my 10 year old bb molds are fine...

Thanks, dibbles.

Isn't it generally better to buy molds sized to the cutting machine?
Anybody think the $398 SE cutter is worth the extra money versus the ED cutter, which ED claims to usually sell for $469?

I have no idea. I've never owned a cutting machine before, but if a soap cutter can cut any size loaf then why does Essential Depo and SoapEquipment.com sell both regular & long loaf cutters?

I thought I needed molds to fit the cutter bc I thought my current molds were too high, but I went back to check that on the manufacturer website and maybe i was wrong and my 10 year old bb molds are fine...

Thanks, dibbles.

Isn't it generally better to buy molds sized to the cutting machine?
Anybody think the $398 SE cutter is worth the extra money versus the ED cutter, which ED claims to usually sell for $469?
People have different preferences. :) Some of them prefer a longer cutter than others. I have an 18" loaf mold from Nurture Soap and a single wire cutter from Workshop Heritage. They work fine together but the end hangs off a bit for the first few cuts. It's not a big deal and doesn't hurt the soap any.

I want to get a multibar cutter but don't have the money atm.

All cutters cut the same. Essential Depot is overpriced but the price for that if it's a sale price is fair.

Try looking on Etsy. There's alot of great cutter makers on there.

Incidentally, this is the one I want to buy. It's all metal so it's easier to clean, but it's a hundred dollars cheaper than Essential Depot. More Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/694391...694391646&click_sum=e6316c94&ref=user_profile

Last edited:
I'm considering buying a soap cutter too since my farm went out of business recently.
I need a Long Loaf cutter so I'm thinking either Essential Depo or SoapEquipment.com.
I think i like ED's cutter and ED's stackable molds to fit the cutter bc

ED cutter $263 (w/ member discount):
Soap Cutter - Long Loaf - Perfectly Cuts 1 Inch Bars: Essential Depot

SE cutter $398
-------------- Long Loaf Cutter

$263 vs $398
plus soapequipment's molds i'd have to buy to fit the cutter would also more pricey

should Brambleberry's cutter be in consideration here?
------ Multi-Bar Cutter

Just wanted to mention that I like ED's dolly w stackable drying system but I've always cured on ss or glass, rather than plastic, which has a less favorable electrical charge.
You don't have to match molds and cutters up, they all work the same way. I love my multi-bar cutter from Nurture Soap. I bought the 9" and while it requires an extra cut for longer loaves, it's no big deal and is quick. I'd definitely buy it again, along with my Caterpillar.
https://nurturesoap.com/products/9-multi-bar-soap-cutter

Back