soap cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I am almost done with my soap cutter--just need to get some more guitar strings tomorrow. I have 2 strung but wanted to wait until I had the frame done before buying the rest of the strings. I will be able to cut 12 1" bars. now I just need to make some more soap!!

Good luck. I tried making one of those but found it very difficult to get the 12 strings perfectly equidistant from each other.
I wasn't using guitar strings though. Michael's sells what they call craft wire. They had some as thin as 26 gauge.

Good luck. I tried making one of those but found it very difficult to get the 12 strings perfectly equidistant from each other.
I wasn't using guitar strings though. Michael's sells what they call craft wire. They had some as thin as 26 gauge.
I still need to get the last couple of strings--the music shop had to order more. I can cut 12 bars when I get the rest of the strings. I used it twice today and it worked great. Nice even bars!!!

FYI, I just ordered a pack of 20 guitar strings for $9 on amazon. They are the single strings, light weight E, which is thinnest string available.

If you have a MIG welder, the wire is probably 0.035" diameter and 70,000 psi tensile strength.

A light E guitar string will be 0.010" in diameter. I've seen tensile strengths quoted for guitar strings a bit less than the MIG wire and quite a bit more than the MIG wire, so I don't know which is correct. I suspect that for many people though, if they already have the MIG wire on hand, it would be an acceptable choice.

Latest posts

Back