Soap Cutter-Homemade? Bought? What do you like

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That dog is pretty cool... enormous... but cool.

The miter box will work fine, but I would suggest getting either a dough scraper or large putty knife, and not using your chef's knife.

The reason for this is a knife is wedge shaped, and that can cause your soap to break up at the bottom of the loaf. A straight cutter can prevent this.

Hi Susie,
Yes, he cut little slits for the wires to rest in so they don't move from side to side. I am attaching two pictures, hopefully that will give you a clear picture, let me know if you would like more information, happy to help!
I made a bar cutter something like this but with guitar tuners (expensive) rather than T bolts. I really like your T bolts and my next cutter will have them. Thanks so much for the detailed photos.

Gorgeous dog! He looks so chilled out!

Oh, and your mold/cutter solution is a great one, also. I will show the hubs when he gets home.
It was super easy to make and used some wood I already had, I think if you already had the tools and had to buy the wood this would cost less than $10 to make.

I should of taken pictures on how i made it, I suppose if anyone is interested i could make another one when i have someone to take pictures for me. All you need is a table saw. I used an electric Brad nailer but you could use regular screws or nails as ling as you pretrial.

That my baby ralph!!! He is still just a pup! A 125 lb 40 inches at the top of his head 1/2 grown pup! We LOVE him he is fantastic to have! Such Huge personality and is a dental giant!

We love Ralph he's the best!

the chef's knife is a santoku by Victorinox (Swiss army) and it cuts like butter! Highly recommend it! while it does and a wedge shape the ones i have cut i have not noticed anything negative, I do block the other end with another butcher knife so the soap does not slide down from the wedge. The thickest end is 1/16th of an inch so its thin. If not for soap get one to use for cooking, i like it better than my $500 knifes and i think they are less than $50...... Ok I'm done geeking out over santokus! haha

I do have a tapers knife I'll try on my next batch and see how it works! Thanks!

I've used steel leader for saltwater fishing with success.

I really dislike wavy cut soaps. Don't know why, just find it offensive?

I'm with IrishLass and RalphTheMastiff, in that I prefer to use a blade rather than a wire cutter.

The blade smooths out any small bubbles (bubbles seem to get exaggerated with wire cutters) and doesn't cause curved cut marks that wire cutters can make on the soap face. The only downside seems to be that the window for timing the cut is finer, in that a blade can cause drag marks when the soap is cut too soft.

Latest posts

Back