Soap cut?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolesica

Reaction score
I have been scouring the forums for daaaayss and you all are the biggest inspiration to me. Inspirational enough that I am venturing into new things.

Soooo… after seeing some laminar flow posts and watching videos, I tried my own. LOL… it’s not exactly what I imagined.

QUESTION—is this a pour issue or a cut issue? I don’t have a slab cutter yet, but was thinking this should be cut horizontally first and then vertically?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I think the cut is wrong. Horizontal, then in bars. I will double check, but I imagine that it is cut like a taiwan swirl.
thank you. I think you’re probably right, so I am going to have to put all of the horizontal cut projects off until I get a cutter that actually cuts horizontally.

Had soooooo much fun doing this one though

@Nicolesica I made my bars for the recent challenge as a single layer in a loaf mold and just planed the tops to make them smooth.

If you are using a loaf mold to make bars that are cut horizontally, you can do it with a regular cutter. Place the loaf on the cutter just as it comes out of the mold (top facing up). Cut the loaf into sections the length or width you want the bars to be. Then turn the sections 90 degrees and cut them in half (top of the soap as it came out of the mold facing the front or back of the cutter).

Example: My standard loaf mold is 3.5 wide x 2.5 high x 9 long. I like my bars to be 3.5 x 2.5 if possible. I would cut my loaf into 2.5 inch sections, then cut each section to 1.25". I will have a little waste, but they can usually just be used as little soaps by the sink for hand washing. Or I could cut them into 2.75" sections to begin with.

I hope this makes sense to you. If it doesn't, let me know.

I think my issue is the cutter I have? I have this one, and I am terrible at hand cutting. I think I understand what you mean..but maybe not? lol

R.E.D. Soap Cutter - Long Loaf - precisely and accurately cuts 1 Inch Bars - Made in the U.S.A. https://a.co/d/8mMKuT9

I hand cut mine. the only way your cutter would work is if you handcut the loaf into blocks first - like about 8cm across, then turn each block on its side and use the cutter to split it into three.
I'm not sure that the pour is correct in you one above anyway - it looks very like a tiger stripe? Did you split the loaf longways into three channels?

No no, I think it probably is called a tiger stripe. I didn’t use my dividers because I wanted to try this out first.

Shoot. My arthritis in my hands makes cutting soap by hand very hard. I’m looking into slab cutter (I think that’s what it’s called) to help make these pretty designs.

Latest posts

Back