Soap curing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you place your bars on during the curing process? I am going to cure mine in the spare bathroom (safe from the animals in the house). It has wire shelving. I read that curing on wire shelves can cause DOS. Most of my soaps have high OO so the curing process will be long.

I have one small metal curing rack that I line with freezer paper. When that is full (pretty much always), I use cut-down Amazon boxes lined with baking paper, similar to KiwiMoose.

RE: curing in a bathroom, hopefully it is not used for showers or baths - the additional moisture would not make for a good curing environment.

I have one small metal curing rack that I line with freezer paper. When that is full (pretty much always), I use cut-down Amazon boxes lined with baking paper, similar to KiwiMoose.

RE: curing in a bathroom, hopefully it is not used for showers or baths - the additional moisture would not make for a good curing environment.

I use box lids from the copier paper at work. I line them with baking paper and space the bars out in there. Then you can put them wherever you like, and once the batch is cured you can remove the baking paper and reuse the box-lid for the next batch.
Thank you KiwiMoise and Alioop. I can definitely get cardboard boxes and parchment paper.

The bathroom only has a toilet and a sink. It also has a dehumidifier in it. I live in Oregon, and found that most rooms need one.

In addition to what others use/suggest, if you have access to plastic mesh, such as used to line shelves or such as used to do needlepoint, they will lift the soap above the tray and allow for a bit more air flow beneath the bottom surface of the soap. It may not be entirely necessary, but it's what I do.

In addition to what others use/suggest, if you have access to plastic mesh, such as used to line shelves or such as used to do needlepoint, they will lift the soap above the tray and allow for a bit more air flow beneath the bottom surface of the soap. It may not be entirely necessary, but it's what I do.

I also like plastic canvas for curing. Easy to clean and ensures no metal contact.

Hope

Most of my soaps have high OO so the curing process will be long.
To shorten your cure time, you may want to try ZANY'S NO SLIME CASTILE
I use the 85% OO, 10% CO, 5% Castor variation and I am able to start using it after the 2-week mark.
That being said, the longer the cure the better the soap.

I use stackable wire cooling racks for baked goods. I lay a sheet of 4-ply Mylar under the soap and turn the soap fairly often during the first 2 weeks. I readily admit, I'm fond of fondling my soapies. 😁

Last edited:
To shorten your cure time, you may want to try ZANY'S NO SLIME CASTILE
I use the 85% OO, 10% CO, 5% Castor variation and I am able to start using it after the 2-week mark.
That being said, the longer the cure the better the soap.

I use stackable wire cooling racks for baked goods. I lay a sheet of 4-ply Mylar under the soap and turn the soap fairly often during the first 2 weeks. I readily admit, I'm fond of fondling my soapies. 😁

Your recipe is on my to try list. I don't mind the slime myself, but some of my friends do. We just need to get through the remodel first.

Back