Soap curing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musmar.firas

Reaction score
I read in this thread and other threads that while curing the soap:
you shouldnt put it on Metal and room shouldnt be hot. Why for both?
what is the suitable temperature we are talking about? the room I am curing the soap can reach to 104 or even more.

Metal contamination is one of the biggest reasons for soap to become rancid, especially those spots of rancidity that people call DOS (dreaded orange spots).

Light, high humidity, and excessive heat also increase the chances of rancidity. If you want to reduce the chance your soap will become rancid, do not let soap touch anything metal and ideally store the soap in a relatively dark, cool, dry space.

But a person has to be realistic too. If you have no other place to store the soap besides the area that gets to 104F, then that is the best you can do.

Metal contamination is one of the biggest reasons for soap to become rancid, especially those spots of rancidity that people call DOS (dreaded orange spots).

Light, high humidity, and excessive heat also increase the chances of rancidity. If you want to reduce the chance your soap will become rancid, do not let soap touch anything metal and ideally store the soap in a relatively dark, cool, dry space.

But a person has to be realistic too. If you have no other place to store the soap besides the area that gets to 104F, then that is the best you can do.
Ditto

People often use aluminium trays in bakers racks for curing soap and line their trays with parchment paper, silicone mats and freezer paper. I believe the reason for this is that aluminium reacts with lye (same goes for any metal except for stainless steel). I use a backers rack with trays but use stainless steel brownie tins (from the dollar store) to house my soaps on the trays while they cure as it reduces my overall waste (no need to line trays). I can fit 4 brownie tins on 1 bakers tray. I do make sure to rotate my soaps to sure an even cure. Haven't come across any problems or experiences DOS, but with the aforementioned notes in mind I'm going to revisit my research and double-check a few things to be sure.

On metal racks I cover them with the rubbery, breathable shelf liner. I pick it up in rolls at the dollar store. I also use large cardboard donut boxes from work. I rescue them before they hit the garbage and repurpose them. I spoke holes throughout the lid and sides and line the boxes with heavy duty paper towel. If you could run a dehumidifier in the room you cure your soap would help remove excess moisture from the air.

Latest posts

Back