Soap Crumbles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee242

Reaction score
CP soap crumbles, Not zappy and feels dry to the touch.
Can it be fixed?
Add oil and what oil?

Total oil weight 3 lb
Water as percent of oil weight 38.00%
Super Fat/Discount 1 %
½ aloe ½ goat milk
NaOH 194.27 gr
Oil -------------%
Fragrance 0
Caster Oil 8.00/
2 Coconut Oil, 76 deg 15.00/
3 Palm Kernel 10.00/
4 Sunflower 6.00/
5 Shea Butter 6.00/
6 Canola 9.00/
7 Jojoba 5.00/
8 Lard, Pig Tallow 41.00/

[FONT=&quot]Total Oils 100/%[/FONT]

Hmmm. I can't really see from your recipe what would make it crumbly....... unless your scale is perhaps not weighing correctly, especially with a lower-end superfat. Is your scale properly calibrated? Also- how old is your soap? If it is newly unmolded and it didn't go through gel, the crumbliness could be due to that. I find my un-gelled soap to be crumbly when cut too soon- i.e., anywhere between 24-48 hours after pour, depending on water content (more water, more cream cheesy-crumbliness).........which brings me to another question- is it a hard crumbliness or a soft, cream cheesy crumbliness?

Hopefully more will chime in soon.

IrishLass :)

Soap is about 14 hrs old.
Scale is good.
The soap spoonified very quick.
Cheesy and firm but pliable.
50% Aloe 50% Goat Milk

I'm thinking it was just too early to unmold. It can easily take at least three days for me to unmold a loaf then another day just to be sure before I cut into it.

Ambient room temperature an affect saponification times, this time of year my house is freezing.

Check the sides of the crumbles to see if they zap. In other words, check the parts that were facing inside the soap before it crumbled. Don't just check the top - it may be done quicker. Also, check multiple pieces. If it is zappy, let it sit a few days and check again.

If your soap was unmolded that quickly and was crumbly, there's a good chance it was not fully saponified even though it was firm. Especially, as IL pointed out, if it didn't gel.

Well I took it out of the mold and it was so hard I had to put it on the band saw to make bars out of it.
I guess well see how it is in about 6 weeks

Latest posts

Back