Soap Cracking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talha IFTIKHAR

Reaction score
I am facing the issue of Cracking in soap bar. My recipe is,
soap noodles 250kg
Talcum powder 25kg
silicate 5kg
Glycerin 3kg
Titanium 250 g
water 10-15 kg

Hello, I am not familiar with "soap noodles." Are those shreds from lye-based soap, or perhaps noodles made of sodium cocoyl isethionate (SCI)?

Also, by "titanium" do you mean titanium dioxide?

Without knowing more, my best guess would be that the percentage of powders is far too high. Titanium dioxide, for instance, is typically used at far less than 5% of the total recipe, and you have it at close to 40% Edit for clarity since my math was wrong here. With the total combination of TD, silicate and talcum powder, cracking should be expected.

Last edited:
I also do not understand some of your terms. I know what soap noodles are -- pre-manufactured soap that has been extruded and dried. But what is titanium -- do you mean titanium dioxide or ???

I also agree with AliOop that you have a large percentage of fillers in this soap -- talc, silicate, and the "titanium" -- and this is likely to lead to cracking.

edit: 250 grams titanium dioxide in 250,000 g (250 kg) finished soap is probably reasonable, but I would be concerned about the talc at 10% of the finished soap weight. This is purely a filler -- no point of this in soap except to cut costs.

I also do not understand some of your terms. I know what soap noodles are -- pre-manufactured soap that has been extruded and dried. But what is titanium -- do you mean titanium dioxide or ???

I also agree with AliOop that you have a large percentage of fillers in this soap -- talc, silicate, and the "titanium" -- and this is likely to lead to cracking.

edit: 250 grams titanium dioxide in 250,000 g (250 kg) finished soap is probably reasonable, but I would be concerned about the talc at 10% of the finished soap weight. This is purely a filler -- no point of this in soap except to cut costs.
Ahhh I misread the TD as being kg and not g - my mistake, and thank you for catching it.

Hello, I am not familiar with "soap noodles." Are those shreds from lye-based soap, or perhaps noodles made of sodium cocoyl isethionate (SCI)?

Also, by "titanium" do you mean titanium dioxide?

Without knowing more, my best guess would be that the percentage of powders is far too high. Titanium dioxide, for instance, is typically used at far less than 5% of the total recipe, and you have it at close to 40% Edit for clarity since my math was wrong here. With the total combination of TD, silicate and talcum powder, cracking should be expected.
Yes, the titanium is Titanium dioxide which is 250 gram
and soap noodles are pre-manufactured soap that has been extruded and dried, it is lye based

edit: 250 grams of titanium dioxide in 250,000 g (250 kg) finished soap is probably reasonable, but I would be concerned about the talc at 10% of the finished soap weight. This is purely a filler -- no point of this in soap except to cut costs.
As I am manufacturing it commercially, the cost is also a factor I need to take care of. Adding Talcum does reduce the cost.
My question is, How much percentage of Talcum is good (not leading to cracking) to add in?

...How much percentage of Talcum is good (not leading to cracking) to add in?

I don't know. I am not a commercial soap maker. I have no incentive to reduce the cost of my soap by adding fillers, so I have never had a reason to use talc.

My guess is the maximum amount of talc will depend on the particular soap you are using and the water content in your finished soap. Can't you do some testing to learn the answer to your question? Or talk to the manufacturer of the soap noodles for their recommendations?

Latest posts

Back