Soap Cracked

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0523

Reaction score
Last night I made up a batch of soap - first time I added 2tsp of sugar to the lye water, and everything looked great all the way up until the gel stage. Now this morning the soap has a hair-line crack going all the way down the middle of the soap., and very small sweat beads on the surface. I think the crack is only on the surface.

Don't know why this happened? Maybe too much heat during gel?

Would sugar cause the gel to be extra hot?

Yep it was heat. Any type of sugar will cause more heat. Sugar, Honey, Goat's Milk, Beer. They all cause more heat but also more suds. When I use any type of sugar I monitor the heat all the way through. It it gets too hot, above 170, I take off all the insulation and cover and let it set. You can also put a fan on it or put in the fridge.

Thanks - I thought the heat was the problem.

I dunno why I experiment and deviate from what I know works. I think the soap will be fine to use, but I hate it when it doesn't come out perfect. Feel like I'm wasting ingredients and money.

I'll do without the sugar next time.

Without failure you have no success. That is why it is great to break away from what you know. It only makes you better!

HAHA - I must like the punishment!

So I made another batch this morning, using only 1tsp of sugar, and guess what happened? CRACK! LOL

Fool me once - fool me twice.

How funny. I use granulated sugar in just about all my recipes @ 1 tablespoon ppo, (except for 1 particular recipe), and I never get overheating or cracks in them even though they all gel. It doesn't matter if I soap cool or hot either- no cracking or overheating in my sugared batches at all. Now, I've had cracks happen when I've used honey before, but never with granulated sugar. Hmmm.....I like a good mystery. :)

What's even more funny is that one particular recipe that I mentioned above that I add no sugar to- it is very high in coconut oil (70% to 100%), and wouldn't you know it- that is the only soap that I make that overheats and gets cracks like clockwork, even if I stick it in the fridge in the hopes of preventing gel (it always gels, nevertheless). :lol:

I stumbled upon a way to prevent the cracks from forming in that particular recipe though.... bubble wrap. I just cover over the top of my freshly poured coconut oil soap with a layer of bubble wrap, cover over the bubble wrap with my mold cover, and then I weigh the cover down with something heavy until it's done gelling or until I'm ready to unmold. Of course, the bubble wrap gets pressed down into the soap and gives the top of all my coconut oil soaps a honeycomb-type look to them, but it actually looks pretty cool, and best of all- there are no more cracks. :)

Well, based on my own experiences with sugar, I would venture to guess that the sugar may not be your actual culprit, but your oils and maybe even your fragrance oil instead. What oils are you using?

IrishLass

IrishLass - I'm using these oils:

babassu
Olive
Coconut
Palm Kernal
Palm Oil
Castor
Shea Butter

This is a new recipe for me, so perhaps there's something going on with the oils?

If you are using a log mold, don't insulate or put the top on. Just place a cover of cling wrap on top to prevent ash. Much more heat is built up in a log mold, especially a wood one. :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
If you are using a log mold, don't insulate or put the top on. Just place a cover of cling wrap on top to prevent ash. Much more heat is built up in a log mold, especially a wood one. :wink:

Thanks for the tip Paul - is that what you always do when you make soap?
I've been always putting the lid on - you know I'm using your mold.

brian0523 said:
Soapmaker Man said:

Thanks for the tip Paul - is that what you always do when you make soap?
I've been always putting the lid on - you know I'm using your mold.

I use both, my log molds and my 12/24 slab, the one you ordered. In the log mold, since the wood is solid and the liner acts like a insulator also, most of the time I do not cover with the wood lid. I do use the wood top when using the slab mold though. I found your recent order and will try to get it shipped this week! :wink:

Paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back