soap consistency question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverette

Reaction score
We made four different soap batches last night using olive oil, palm oil, and coconut oil using essential oils and one without. When pouring into the mold they were a nice creamy color. Now this morning upon checking it they were transparent. Does anyone have ideas as to what would cause this? Do you think they'll change back?

Thank you for your insight!

Cheryl

It is normal for the soap to go through a 'gel' stage where it looks more transparent. With my soap it has started as early as a few hours after being poured into the mold.

As saponification continues, it changes back to opaque. You may notice that even bars that have been curing for a few days are whiter on the outside than in the center.

I thought the title said soap conspiracy...i *love* a good conspiracy!

silverette said:
We made four different soap batches last night using olive oil, palm oil, and coconut oil using essential oils and one without. When pouring into the mold they were a nice creamy color. Now this morning upon checking it they were transparent. Does anyone have ideas as to what would cause this? Do you think they'll change back?

Thank you for your insight!

Cheryl

Sounds kinda late for a gel to show up this morning after pouring last night. It sure sounds like, as Dan stated, the gel stage in the saponification process takes it's natural course. Like Dan mentioned, it usually takes only a few hours at the most, depending on your soaping temps., how long it takes for the gel stage to get going. When you cut these, give it the old tongue test and make sure there is no zap. If so, let the curing process start! You've made soap and it's getting better every day that it sets; kinda like a fine wine or cheese!

Paul.... :wink:

soap consistency

Thank you for your ideas. I've only made soap several times and I get worried that it's not going to turn out. Came home last night and yes it is turny creamy colored again.

Gel can take a long time if your soap is not properly mixed and you have false trace.

Yep, Lucy. :wink: I love using a stick blender to cut trace time and make sure all ingredients are well incorporated! I have 3 stick blenders;
1. My "ole Faithful" Braun Stainless Steel
2. My Kitchenaid "Ole Red" as I call her
3. My backup WalMart special. Cost like $15.00, works wonders!

That would be a backup to a backup! :lol:

Soapmaker Man said:
I have 3 stick blenders;
1. My "ole Faithful" Braun Stainless Steel
2. My Kitchenaid "Ole Red" as I call her
3. My backup WalMart special. Cost like $15.00, works wonders!

That would be a backup to a backup! :lol:

You and I think alike! :D

Irena

The stick blender is not the best thing to avoid false trace. Truth is it is one of the biggest reasons. Time and patience hand stiring with a slot spoon will insure everything being incorporated. Only then should a stick blend be used.

After dumping my ingredients together in my mixing pot, I stir the ingredients together with my stick blender, like using it as a spoon for a minute, then hit the batter with a few short blasts in different areas of the soap pot to make sure everything is thoroughly incorporated before I start stick blending the emulsification to trace. I never have had false trace in the past doing it this way!

Paul.... :wink:

The years have taught me not to be cocksure when there are so many variables. There is always that 1 time when things can go wrong.

Latest posts

Back