Soap changed colour within 2 days

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelka

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have question. I was making my soap and while doing it it changed the colour. I am not sure if it's normal or the batch turned bad. Did you have situation like this as well?
ADDED COLOUR- dark green (mica)
TURNED - orange and after 2 days purple

128g - sodium hydroxide
230g- water
292g- coconut oil
104g- shea butter
246g- pomace
102g- sunflower oil
90g- sweet almond oil
74g- castor oil

I mixed mica with oils first and then added lye when temperature was 49 Celsius. I was wondering if it's because of temperature. Normally I am trying to mix oils wit lye when temperature is 37-42 Celsius but this time I wanted to try something new and it turned out like this. Did i do something wrong or it's normal/possible to happen with mica's?
After cutting the soap the texture looks fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210513-032147_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210513-032147_Gallery.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210513-032220_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210513-032220_Gallery.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210506_175525.jpg
    20210506_175525.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 32
Was it advertised/certified for usage with cold-process soapmaking?

As far as my Polish reaches, they appear to focus on M&P soap.
Their extended analysis certificate mentions aluminium hydroxide (possibly lye soluble) and organic colourants (tartrazine and patent blue V, possibly unstable against lye). I wouldn't be surprised if this mica is made for M&P soap, and it would explain your disappointing colour fading.

Did i do something wrong or it's normal/possible to happen with mica's?

Not all colorants are suitable for cold/hot process soap because of the [live] Sodium Hydroxide which can cause color morphing. After purchasing a couple of Micas that turned out to NOT work with CP soap (both turned white), I now always check to make sure. And then there are some colors that morph, but come back. Lemon Sherbet by Rustic Escentuals starts out yellow, then quickly turns into Orange, then turns back to yellow during the saponification process.

Did you use a fragrance, and if yes, what fragrance from where? Those can also discolor your soap, including with one I know of from Nurture Soap to a strong purple.

Was it advertised/certified for usage with cold-process soapmaking?

As far as my Polish reaches, they appear to focus on M&P soap.
Their extended analysis certificate mentions aluminium hydroxide (possibly lye soluble) and organic colourants (tartrazine and patent blue V, possibly unstable against lye). I wouldn't be surprised if this mica is made for M&P soap, and it would explain your disappointing colour fading.
It's wasn't written if it's for one or another specifically.

I mean I don't mind that it changed colour this time but I'm wondering if I should stop using it for CP and only MP which I also do?

Did you use a fragrance, and if yes, what fragrance from where? Those can also discolor your soap, including with one I know of from Nurture Soap to a strong purple.
I used lavender essential oil

Not all colorants are suitable for cold/hot process soap because of the [live] Sodium Hydroxide which can cause color morphing. After purchasing a couple of Micas that turned out to NOT work with CP soap (both turned white), I now always check to make sure. And then there are some colors that morph, but come back. Lemon Sherbet by Rustic Escentuals starts out yellow, then quickly turns into Orange, then turns back to yellow during the saponification process.
What should I do if it not written if its for CP or MP? Should I not buy it or check the certificate and specifications? If so how do I recognise that particular micas are for CP?

What should I do if it not written if its for CP or MP? Should I not buy it or check the certificate and specifications? If so how do I recognise that particular micas are for CP?
I admit what I am about to say comes from a position of privilege seeing as I am in the USA and have a wealth of options available to me.

I would pick a different supplier. If they, the supplier, cannot provide notes regarding the performance of a mica or fragrance and how it will perform in the soap craft I plan to employ it for (CP, HP, or MP), then I don't feel they are really targeting the product to me and my needs. Tacking a "soap safe" designation on is just trying to broadly reach an extra market without respecting or understanding that market if there are no soaping notes. And you can't be sure that it will necessarily perform consistently; today's batch turned purple, but will tomorrow stay orange, and Saturday's go green?! If they don't offer proper soaping notes, you can't know without a bunch of experimentation, and that's wasteful on your part if you're just trying to have fun. Or worse, extremely wasteful if you're trying to run a business.

I admit what I am about to say comes from a position of privilege seeing as I am in the USA and have a wealth of options available to me.

I would pick a different supplier. If they, the supplier, cannot provide notes regarding the performance of a mica or fragrance and how it will perform in the soap craft I plan to employ it for (CP, HP, or MP), then I don't feel they are really targeting the product to me and my needs. Tacking a "soap safe" designation on is just trying to broadly reach an extra market without respecting or understanding that market if there are no soaping notes. And you can't be sure that it will necessarily perform consistently; today's batch turned purple, but will tomorrow stay orange, and Saturday's go green?! If they don't offer proper soaping notes, you can't know without a bunch of experimentation, and that's wasteful on your part if you're just trying to have fun. Or worse, extremely wasteful if you're trying to run a business.
You are fully right! Thank you for help and tips, I appreciate it a lot!

I agree with @ImpKit about finding another supplier. You need to be able to trust that the ingredients that you are buying are going act as advertised, especially if you are selling because of product liability.

Latest posts

Back