Soap Change Colors after 24 hours

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is strange, I normally use TD when I make Eucalyptus soap. I thought I would change it because I kept noticing that the Eucalyptus soaps, after time, was getting yellow from Sun/light. So I used Kaolin Clay in one batch and Spirulina. The first time it started out a little light green. That was good, I wanted it a little light green. After 24 hours it turned brown. So I thought it be the kaolin clay since it was the first time I used it. I made a second batch and no kaolin Clay. Same thing is happening, I just made this one and I can see the change beginning.

A few days back I made one batch completely different...lemongrass soap with spirulina and turmeric, one batch was just as I have done many times except I added kaoling clay to both batches. The first batches of lemongrass was as normal as the day light.....no change. The second one though, is slightly brown but passable.

All batches are HP. The one change is the kaolin clay, I made like 200 bars for a street fair this Sunday and the only two with this isssues are these. :roll:

ETA: the two on the left is the Eucalyptus and the two on the right are the lemongrass

Soap Color.jpg

Last edited:
Kaolin would rather make your soap lighter, it is spirulina that morph in the soap. Like most botanicals. I like your soap :)

Kaolin would rather make your soap lighter, it is spirulina that morph in the soap. Like most botanicals. I like your soap :)
I wondered if the eo helped spirulina morph? I say that because, usually, I mix well the eo before adding any colorant/botanicals and this time I did not. Next time I will see about mixing the eo more before add the spirulina. Thanks for liking my soaps Dahila.

OP, as soon as I saw spirulina and colour change, I realized I should take a pic of my soap. I used spirulina for colour. The two bars are the same colour; I turned them over today because the exposed side (the bar at the front) was turning brown while the side that was down was still a nice green (the bar at the right). Spirulina, being a botanical, is changing from green to brown.

002 by Ev Skae, on Flickr

Now, I'm wondering what will happen to my avocado soap; I used spirulina (not as much) to colour it as well. :-?

OP, as soon as I saw spirulina and colour change, I realized I should take a pic of my soap. I used spirulina for colour. The two bars are the same colour; I turned them over today because the exposed side (the bar at the front) was turning brown while the side that was down was still a nice green (the bar at the right). Spirulina, being a botanical, is changing from green to brown.

002 by Ev Skae, on Flickr

Now, I'm wondering what will happen to my avocado soap; I used spirulina (not as much) to colour it as well. :-?

do you use a fo/eo? I dont know why this has happen, I have been using spirulina for awhile and nothing like this has happen. I wonder if the lye had anything to do with the eucalyptus soap. I say that because I pour and mixed the whole batch with spirulina then I HP. But the Lemongrass I did not, but I remember pour in the spirulina but not mixing right away, and I evne remember thinking that I should not let it sit there, even though it was just a few seconds longer the usual. Could heat have something to do with it?

Back