Soap causing acne?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Bubbly

Reaction score
I haven't made any soap yet... that being said, I can't vouch for recipes or ratios in the soaps I have been buying.

My husband is breaking out with pimples, the owie red ones. He is swearing off handmade soap and going back to Irish Spring (blech!)

What could it be? He has great skin, and has not had any problems since using the soaps, but all of a sudden, he has gotten a pimple a week, it seems.

His skin is less oily, and I think that it is an adjustment period... but how to you tell a grown man to love his pimples and keep using the handmade soap? LOL

You may not have the recipes or ratios, but what are the ingredients in the soaps you have been buying?

IrishLass

I have bought all natural soaps, except for one sandalwood soap, and he hasn't used that.

The other soaps have all been soaps made with basic oils, and nothing exotic, coconut, olive, PKO, coco and shea butter, castor oil and beeswax.

The EO's are the basic, lavender, peppermint, spearmint, lemongrass.. with a few soaps being lavender/peppermint combos.

One sample pack was a Texas themed soap, with only olive oil listed, but had 'exotic' EO's that made a 'native' themed soap pack, bluebonnet, mesquite, horsemint to name a few. I think they all smelled the same, kind of like a very woody, faint patchouli. The colorants seem to be botanicals and spices. Not sure which ones. He did use these every now and then for face washing.

The lavender soap that he has used the most has wild honey in it, and otherwise a pretty common oil list.

sometimes the fragrance or essential oils can irritate skin. When I make soap I make a soap just for my face without and scents at all. It tends to break me out, but then on the other hand it doesn't mess with my boyfriends skin at all. As all skin types are unique. Anyways try getting him a non scented and un colored soap.

What would be the best soap base? He really likes a squeaky clean feeling, and lot's of bubbles.

I think Coconut Oil and Babassu are two of the most "cleansing" oils , and therefore get your skin more "squeeky clean", and both make for a lot of lather. I sometimes get a pimple or two myself (in my 40's!), and believe it or not, I have found that when it comes to my skin, too drying is worse than too oily where my face is concerned. If I use a "drying" product, it seems to make my skin produce MORE oil, and then my pores clog even worse. So I use a natural moisturizer that doesn't clog my pores and my skin reacts much better.

But then, like someone else said, everyone's skin reacts differently.

It's so tough. My husband and I both have oily skin, but my skin is responding great, and he's breaking out! I will have to try the Babassu oil I think, I have only heard great things about it.

georgiastray said:
I have found that when it comes to my skin, too drying is worse than too oily where my face is concerned. If I use a "drying" product, it seems to make my skin produce MORE oil, and then my pores clog even worse. So I use a natural moisturizer that doesn't clog my pores and my skin reacts much better.

But then, like someone else said, everyone's skin reacts differently.

This is also true for me. When you use a drying product, stripping the skin of oils, the skin naturally reacts by producung even more oil. Finding his balance is key. Could it be his aftershave (if he uses it) may be irritating him? Is it more moisturizing or astringent?

Perhaps a shaving soap would work for him. I agree with the others who say FO and EO may be the culprit.

Digit

I agree with drying the skin out causes more oil.

He doesn't use moisturizer (such a guy!) so that leaves me needing a very moisturizing bar, that leaves him squeaky clean with huge bubbles.

Ha! For "not caring" what kind of soap he uses, he sure wants alot! :wink: :lol:

I will look into olive based soaps, with MAYBE lavender EO and/or infused water. The scent should be subtle and non-irritating, and I will have to make sure that everything is non-cosmogenic.

Whew!

sometimes the fragrance or essential oils can irritate skin. When I make soap I make a soap just for my face without and scents at all. It tends to break me out, but then on the other hand it doesn't mess with my boyfriends skin at all. As all skin types are unique. Anyways try getting him a non scented and un colored soap.

Texas_Bubbly said:
I agree with drying the skin out causes more oil.

<snip>

I will look into olive based soaps, with MAYBE lavender EO and/or infused water. The scent should be subtle and non-irritating, and I will have to make sure that everything is non-cosmogenic.

Whew!

Lavender can cause breasts in some men. It is fairly rare, but apparently a known thing (same goes for Tea Tree Oil). I can react to coconut oil soap and honey. I believe that the coconut oil soaps can cause dryness which somehow causes a reaction which can lead to breakout despite the seeming contradiction. Someone else mentioned that drying out can lead to oiliness. Maybe that's the reason. Honey, I had been told decades ago, should not cause break out for any reason. However, I ran across a tidbit a few years ago which seemed to vindicate my hunch on my skin and honey. I wish that I could give you the exact details, but I misplaced the info. The EO thing was covered by someone else. (Now, if only I can put it all together and actually make some soap).

Suds

cdwinsby said:
Suds said:
Lavender can cause breasts in some men. It is fairly rare, but apparently a known thing (same goes for Tea Tree Oil).

Suds

Hmmmm...wonder if lavender will do the same for women? If so, does anyone know where I can buy it in gallon containers? :mrgreen:

Sorry...couldn't resist.

georgiastray said:
cdwinsby said:
Suds said:
Lavender can cause breasts in some men. It is fairly rare, but apparently a known thing (same goes for Tea Tree Oil).

Suds

Hmmmm...wonder if lavender will do the same for women? If so, does anyone know where I can buy it in gallon containers? :mrgreen:

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Not for women. I had tons of lavender lined up before I did further research :wink: I had just started to ponder the testing process when I learned the gender bias.

Suds

Back