Soap candles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now. That could be a very fun or dangerous experiment. LOL I'd be wary about possible flammability or combustibility of any additives, like FO or sugar, that was in the soap. So, maybe make such a candle in a tin (not glass or ceramic) and then light it outside, and observe it burning from a safe distance? I say try it and find out! Just be, you know, cautious. 🙃

I did find this link. Not exactly what your hubs asked since they don't mention adding beeswax, but pretty close. Perhaps @DeeAnna or @Zing can chime in on the chemistry details...
https://www.quora.com/Could-a-bar-of-soap-work-as-candle-wax

We live in the country and deal with most of our trash by burning the burnable stuff. (We take the recyclables and the non-burnable garbage to the county recycling and waste handling site maybe 1-2 times a year.)

I tried burning some bars of soap once. Partly out of curiosity and partly because they weren't usable due to rancidity. Even after the paper and other stuff around the soap was burning merrily, the soap basically melted and just sat there. A total non-event. ;)

I didn't watch the soap to the bitter end, so I can't absolutely say the soap NEVER burned, but it certainly didn't burn easily.

If my experience trying to burn soap is anywhere close to typical, I don't think "soap candles" would be all that useful.

If you added beeswax to the soap, it's hard to say whether that would work well or just sputter along kinda sorta. You'd have to try it and see.

I would definitely check the flammability on the fragrances used in the soaps, however that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think it could be a fun DIY, and if not, a fun science experiment! just try not to burn your house down...

So far I only use EOs and the old soap we’re considering using hardly has any. Any suggestions on how a person would combine beeswax and old soap shavings to enact such an experiment? For science...

This’ll probably sound crazy. And, it’s probably not a thing, because I couldn’t find anything from searching. But the hubs asked if you can use old soaps for candle making. Can they be mixed with some beeswax and used for candles?
Short answer is no.

Even though soap is initially mostly made up of oils, after saponification it does not retain enough of the properties of the oil to burn or even if it does slightly, it will not burn properly.
Once you know how to make candles properly, it's such a non-issue, the real question would be why? Especially for roughly the same amount of money (again, once you know what you are doing) you can make a perfectly safe, perfectly scented burning candle.

melt the soap shavings in the beeswax?

that should help remove some water
maybe use a splatter guard
Even with this method, you would most likely never get it to burn safely or properly to even have it be worth it.
Any suggestions on how a person would combine beeswax and old soap shavings to enact such an experiment? For science...
Some things, even in the name of science, shouldn't be done. This, IMO is one of them.
You will never get it to do what you want it to do.

Latest posts

Back