Soap & Candle Making Projects

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

Sorry for the long absence - my (hot process) soap business has taken off and there is not much time to come up for air :)

I am currently working on a range of soaps/shampoos/balms/lotions/toothpastes etc for a lady that works with cancer patients. I've made an anti viral/anti fungal/anti bacterial soap with goatsmilk and 4 thieves oil for her. LOVE the smell of that 4 thieves oil blend!! I am also working on a healing soap with neem and lavender. Delving into balms next, perhaps a breast balm to start with. Do any of you have any experience with healing products like these?

IMG_20170303_114524.jpg

ca695b83-0ec7-47b8-9440-6ff201bad039.jpg

I haven't made any soap for the last few months... too busy with work and masters program. However, I am hoping to make a batch or two over spring break. I want to experiment with goat milk and oatmeal.

Hi Everyone,

I have yet to post on this forum. I am preparing for my first event this April. So far I've got two finished & labeled soaps (just do MP right now). My Barber Shop soap, using Barber Shop FO and my latest obsession Doughnut soap (and bath bombs). I hope I attached the photos correctly!

BarberShopSocialMedia.jpg

Doughnutsoap.jpg

Current Projects

Made 3 batches of Soap in Feb. Beer Soap, and 2 Batches of what I call my Princess Recipe. Used Rasp FO in the beer soap, and Lavender EO, and Rustic Rose FO in the other. Also made Bath Bombs and Shaving Lotion.

0308170824.jpg

0308170827.jpg

0308170831.jpg

0308170834.jpg

I admire all the wonderful soaps and products everyone is working on. The closest thing to soap I've been making is soap rest (decks, flats, platforms, dish, etc) from white oak. These allow water to drain quickly from the bar and dry and not let the soap turn into mush. The white oak is incredibly decay resistant and will last for years!

soaprest_bar_150.jpg

srproduction1.jpg

Last edited:
CURRENT PROJECTS
Hair conditioner (which, oddly has turned out to be a much better hand lotion...:grin:)

First melt and pour test was a learning experience. Temperature way more important than I gave attention to...scent WAY stronger than CP. Boyfriend absolutely loves it though.

UPCOMING
Starting first-ever attempt at batch of cream soap, and working up the nerve to attempt a facial cream utilizing alpha hydroxy acids.

My Spring Work

Hello, this is some of my spring work. One cp soap with olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, castor oil and the other is salt bar soap 80% coconut oil. The salt bar will be trimmer just before use.

IMG_1687[1].jpg

IMG_1650[1].jpg

I also have been absent for a while. Thanks for bringing me back in the loop! A couple years ago I made a ton of different soaps because I signed up for a few craft fairs. I didn't sell much at those and just finally got through all that was left. Timing of this thread is perfect, because my best friend is getting married in July and asked me to make soaps for favors. She is going with a wine/grape theme, and I actually found a fragrance called "Berrywine" at Bramble Berry. So, of course I had to get it for her. The mold she picked has grapes and leaves on the tops. I think I will try to actually fill in the pattern to show purple grapes and green leaves. Then maybe do a natural color behind it with small swirls of green and purple. It is beautiful in my head...hoping the real thing turns out just as pretty. LOL

I've been selling on etsy for a little while and enjoying that.

I created a new soap recipe the other day and so far it has been great. Now I just need to wait for the cure to see if it's as great as I hope!

This has to be the creamiest soap batter I have created to date! I am loving this! It behaved beautifully with the addition of greek yogurt and honey (did not seize) and I added a small amount of lavender, orange, and patchouli essential oils to test the behavior of them in the batter. No issues! This soap is palm free. It contains olive oil (with infused herbs and botanicals), coconut oil, rice bran oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, mango butter, and avocado oil It has the addition of aloe and silk, which I love in my soap. So we shall see how it is after it cures. I love my other soap recipe, also, but this one may top it! It did not over heat and came out of the mold great. Cut nicely, too.

soapbatter.jpg

soap.jpg

My recent soaping

Recently, I am working on ginger soap for my sister, I am still try to make using different ginger products. First I used fresh organic ginger. But then I saw some ppl using ginger powder and ginger essential oil, I am not sure if they have the same benefit as the fresh ginger.

ginger.jpg

I've been busy making fandom soaps and coming up with scent blend ideas. So far I've made The Chosen One (Vader), Strider (trying to come up with a less obvious/cleverer name for this one, Ranger King?) and one for the Cap. I think maybe I'll do Your Worshipfulness next. Soft fresh peach with the sharp snap of ginger ;)

15055723_10210616903595722_3391370657374535381_n.jpg

16003177_10211285070299472_6055983792043244550_n.jpg

16998787_10211679561041494_2246622069651089419_n.jpg

I've been busy making fandom soaps and coming up with scent blend ideas. So far I've made The Chosen One (Vader), Strider (trying to come up with a less obvious/cleverer name for this one, Ranger King?) and one for the Cap. I think maybe I'll do Your Worshipfulness next. Soft fresh peach with the sharp snap of ginger ;)

Rusti, I am absolutely LOVING your idea of fandom soaps! It's really a cool concept. Now I'm inspired to go do a "Dr. Who" soap. I've just got to figure out what to scent it with.

Rusti, I am absolutely LOVING your idea of fandom soaps! It's really a cool concept. Now I'm inspired to go do a "Dr. Who" soap. I've just got to figure out what to scent it with.

I've actually had the requested, but cannot figure out a blend myself. I don't watch Dr Who. A particular challenge!

I do not write much on the forum. I make soap for gifting and small selling. I have educated some of the goodness to handmade soap vs. Store bought. I make standard soaps nothing fancy colors as it takes away from health benefits. I have however made French clay soap for my adult girls. They love it. To buy in a store your looking at 6 - 12 dollars a bar. They figure moms is cheaper..lol

Really?? The only health benefit of soap is to cleanse. Unless you're using food dye or crayons to color your soap, I see no health benefit to not adding any color.

Are we permitted to use the term "moisturizing" on our soap labels? I didn't think we were allowed to make any claims other than soap cleanses. Isn't this why Dove is called a Beauty Bar instead of Soap? I don't know for certain, but I'll have to go back to Marie Gale's book and look this one up.

I am working on serial new soaps and embarking on my first fundraiser! I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and nervous but excited! Below are some pics of my latest creations :)

Are you in the U.S.? Not sure we can say "moisturizing" on our labels?

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?? The only health benefit of soap is to cleanse. Unless you're using food dye or crayons to color your soap, I see no health benefit to not adding any color.

Are we permitted to use the term "moisturizing" on our soap labels? I didn't think we were allowed to make any claims other than soap cleanses. Isn't this why Dove is called a Beauty Bar instead of Soap? I don't know for certain, but I'll have to go back to Marie Gale's book and look this one up.

Are you in the U.S.? Not sure we can say "moisturizing" on our labels?

No, besides, soap is not moisturizing no matter what you add to it. It can be less cleansing/stripping by formulating a recipe with less cleansing oils.

Soap & Candle Making Projects

Amazing artwork on slabs. I've been considering working with slab mold. These posts convinced me ;-).

Last edited:
I've been selling on etsy for a little while and enjoying that.

I created a new soap recipe the other day and so far it has been great. Now I just need to wait for the cure to see if it's as great as I hope!

This has to be the creamiest soap batter I have created to date! I am loving this! It behaved beautifully with the addition of greek yogurt and honey (did not seize) and I added a small amount of lavender, orange, and patchouli essential oils to test the behavior of them in the batter. No issues! This soap is palm free. It contains olive oil (with infused herbs and botanicals), coconut oil, rice bran oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, mango butter, and avocado oil It has the addition of aloe and silk, which I love in my soap. So we shall see how it is after it cures. I love my other soap recipe, also, but this one may top it! It did not over heat and came out of the mold great. Cut nicely, too.

Looks amazing. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Back