Soap Calc's are decieving!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I took you wrong and maybe I do have an ego problem I'll never know.
I do realize that you know water doesn't make soap. I understand.
But when you, and others, write things like
"It doesn't matter if you put 5 oz of water in your batch to start and I used 6 oz. The water evaporates, soap is what remains."
My reasoning is this - when I made that batch with 5 oz. of water in it, I was able to put an extra ounce of oil in it to turn into soap. Where you on the other hand did not and that ounce you put in their wasted and evaporated. You replaced it with water. My water:lye ratio remains the same and I get the same fluidity. You do too, difference is more oil, same volume, same water:lye ratio. Do you see why I don't understand? Is is possible that their is a chance you don't understand what I am saying or is this something that you already know because if it is then all this was not written for you. I've wrote another comment that explained my problems and why I started this. If I would have understood this from the start my learning curve would have been much easier in understanding things like lye discount and adding water are far two different approaches, with one being better then the other, at achieving that same fluidity that you want.
All this is not my idea by the way. I have just learned from it and use it. A chemist wrote this in his book which is what I do and it works very well.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. As stated in my first post to you... You want to fill your mold with the maximum amount of oils you can. But it seems no one else here is that concerned with it.

It makes a difference of a couple ounces of oil per pound of soap to go from 1:1 to 2:1 lye solution. That's not enough for me to concern myself with. I prefer to use more water for a variety of reasons, gel being one. Another is that I masterbatch my lye at 1:1 and like adding other liquids sometimes, milk and beer soaps are popular. I have worked with my recipes and can comfortably create the designs I want using 2:1 for most of them. You say you have the same fluidity as I do, but you don't actually know that. I don't want to have pudding, but I also don't want to wait and wait for trace. I don't always use 2:1. It varies with different recipes. I experimented and found what works best for me to get the results I want with each and every recipe I use.

Many of us have read Scientific Soapmaking, the book I assume you are referring to. Others still have actually been to lectures given by Kevin Dunn. His information is invaluable. However, I certainly don't recall anything in there about minimum water being the best way.

You say you are writing this for new soap makers, but in another post, you said you yourself are new. If it helps you understand, great. I gotta tell you tho, most people that decide one day that they want to make soap don't care to understand, study, read much or formulate anything. They want a recipe. They want everything figured out for them. There isn't anything wrong with that and there are plenty of recipes readily available to them. When people want to create their own, experimentation is part of the fun. It is also what teaches them what every little thing they change does to the final product. The soap community benefits from that because those are the people that know their product inside and out and can provide soaps that aren't an embarrassment to the rest of us.

As I said in my initial post, you do what works for you. Just accept what works for you isn't for everyone.

I will mention when I first started soaping I used the default 38% water as % of Oil (approx 25% lye concentration), and had a terrible time with overheating, separation, crackle in other words all things mean. When I saw a post from IL mentioning 33% lye concentration I changed to using 33-35% lye concentration. Lo and behold the hot gelling and separation problems stopped, unless I use a naughty fragrance, and I now have to force gel. My recipe will very seldom gel without some persuasion. So I find Water does make a difference in gelling.

I am sure some of you will remember the test of the Andalusian Soap with the lye heavy recipe and very high water. Scientific I am not, but by observation I think it was the high water that carried out the overage of lye in the soap creating a nice non zappy Olive Oil soap. I came to the conclusion because I ran a batch with a 33 or 40% lye concentration, sorry I do not remember for sure and I am at the parents so notes are home, my soap never cured out and 3 years later the piece I kept is still zappy. So I do not go with extremely high lye concentrations, I want the extra liquid in my soap during cure time.

Not really sure if any of this pertains to this long thread that I became tired of reading. But I still would Not recommend this read to newbies

How on earth is this still going?????

I probably shouldn't jump in here but I'll bite. I might regret it.

You seem to have trouble grasping the well known concept that high water soap batter achieves gel more easily than low water soap.

You seem to be saying the opposite is true.

Please explain this ghost swirl soap I made recently. The main portion of the batter was made with high water (but goats milk substituted for all the water). As we know, when goats milk gels it turns tan/brown. The small portion of the batter was made with very low water (milk). The soap was wrapped in a towel to encourage gel.

Using your theory that low water soap gels easier, please explain why the low water portion of my batch has not gelled, and remains nice and white, whereas the majority of the soap which had high water, has gelled and turned a tan colour
That's some pretty kool looking soap and a very tall order. Hope the heat didn't stay hot for too long to make it go bad in the future.
I'll answer your question like this. Low water soaps get hotter and saponify faster then medium and high water soaps therefore they come out of the mold much easier and faster. The rate at which they lose water is the same as medium and high water except they stop losing weight sooner - Not saying they are cured. They lose 2 weeks sooner then medium and 4 weeks before high.
However, in soap, their are 3 variables. Oil, water, and lye. Lye by itself is safe to handle and is a stored form of energy. When water is combined with lye it allows for a heat transfer through a chemical reaction blah blah blah here.
Water molecules fill the gaps between lye and oil. As more water is added those gaps get larger and larger away from the heat source but it allows the lye to move more and more freely. This will tie in later.
Like all heat sources, the farther away from the heat source, the longer it takes to get hot. In that respect, low water gets hotter faster, saponifies more quickly and demolds faster and loses all of its weight about 4 weeks faster then high water. Their is another difference here also that I will get to later.
Higher water values do not nearly get as hot as 200 degrees as low water. Medium and low water values do tend to hover in the gelatinous stage together for a while but because the lye water is able to move around a little more freely it will not burn off energy as quickly as low water. It will not get as hot as low water but it does stay warmer longer because of the freedom the lye has. In other words, it is the same thing as putting your milk into a microwave for a minute on high. You'll probably have just warm milk. But if you put your milk in there for 10 on medium, Well you probably just spoiled your milk. Which is your case.
Getting back to the other difference that I favor. I perfectly well realize might or might not stay warm for longer periods of time, not hotter mind you, but for a longer period. I like to have my colors just bright enough but I prefer more oil with less water in the same volume of soap batter because right now I feel that more soap and lesser water means less weight loss a year from now. What that does in how it affects dragging away dirt, I don't know. I also feel right now that it will not dissove in water quite as easily. It does not freeze up on me and I don't get DOS. And don't ask me that question because I haven't experienced it for about 75 loaves.
Do you still say I am confused?
One more thing. I still stand on the fact of soap calcs are decieving. If I chose a different water:lye ratio all it does is decrease my volume. If you just go back and readjust your oil, your volume will increase and you will still get the ratio you want.

I will mention when I first started soaping I used the default 38% water as % of Oil (approx 25% lye concentration), and had a terrible time with overheating, separation, crackle in other words all things mean. When I saw a post from IL mentioning 33% lye concentration I changed to using 33-35% lye concentration. Lo and behold the hot gelling and separation problems stopped, unless I use a naughty fragrance, and I now have to force gel. My recipe will very seldom gel without some persuasion. So I find Water does make a difference in gelling.

I am sure some of you will remember the test of the Andalusian Soap with the lye heavy recipe and very high water. Scientific I am not, but by observation I think it was the high water that carried out the overage of lye in the soap creating a nice non zappy Olive Oil soap. I came to the conclusion because I ran a batch with a 33 or 40% lye concentration, sorry I do not remember for sure and I am at the parents so notes are home, my soap never cured out and 3 years later the piece I kept is still zappy. So I do not go with extremely high lye concentrations, I want the extra liquid in my soap during cure time.

Not really sure if any of this pertains to this long thread that I became tired of reading. But I still would Not recommend this read to newbies
A 50:50 water:lye solution is not necessarily a bad thing and can actually solve more problems then it creates especially with Olive oil.
I've only made it twice because of my 6 month waiting period.
Olive oil tends to resist so my first batch, I stick blended for about 2 hours and had to take breaks. My 2nd batch took about an hour so it was not a worry for too much lye. I just needed to make sure I scraped the sides of the bowl because the denser soap pushed the remaining lye water on the edges of the bowl. If I didn't do that it would have been poured on the bottom, edges and corners of the soap. Make it easier to break off. I unmolded the next day and have been waiting ever since.
38 oz OO
5% Superfat
.135 * (38 *.05) = 138 grams of water and 138 grams of lye.
Was actually very easy and is still looking very nice. By February they will be ready.
I was hoping to get the kind of OO that would eventually turn the soap green but I guess I chose the wrong kind.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. As stated in my first post to you... You want to fill your mold with the maximum amount of oils you can. But it seems no one else here is that concerned with it.

It makes a difference of a couple ounces of oil per pound of soap to go from 1:1 to 2:1 lye solution. That's not enough for me to concern myself with. I prefer to use more water for a variety of reasons, gel being one. Another is that I masterbatch my lye at 1:1 and like adding other liquids sometimes, milk and beer soaps are popular. I have worked with my recipes and can comfortably create the designs I want using 2:1 for most of them. You say you have the same fluidity as I do, but you don't actually know that. I don't want to have pudding, but I also don't want to wait and wait for trace. I don't always use 2:1. It varies with different recipes. I experimented and found what works best for me to get the results I want with each and every recipe I use.

Many of us have read Scientific Soapmaking, the book I assume you are referring to. Others still have actually been to lectures given by Kevin Dunn. His information is invaluable. However, I certainly don't recall anything in there about minimum water being the best way.

You say you are writing this for new soap makers, but in another post, you said you yourself are new. If it helps you understand, great. I gotta tell you tho, most people that decide one day that they want to make soap don't care to understand, study, read much or formulate anything. They want a recipe. They want everything figured out for them. There isn't anything wrong with that and there are plenty of recipes readily available to them. When people want to create their own, experimentation is part of the fun. It is also what teaches them what every little thing they change does to the final product. The soap community benefits from that because those are the people that know their product inside and out and can provide soaps that aren't an embarrassment to the rest of us.

As I said in my initial post, you do what works for you. Just accept what works for you isn't for everyone.
There was actually a period in between the two sentences that you thought I was saying that mine was the same as yours. lol. I had to look closely myself.
What I referring to was, however way you do it, you try to get a certain fluidity too!
I once accidentally superfatted 15% which was the same thing as an extreme lye discount. It was pretty fluid and it worked out really well. Couldn't you do that instead of using lots of water? Not questioning your method just asking about your madness. lol
You seem to be doing pretty well and I like that.:)

Oh yeah, He doesn't say it is best. He implies that it is just as good and should not be afraid of it.
It is from that point that I was able to put more oil in it and it has eliminated a few problems.

Once you figure out you can add more oil and still keep the same water:lye ratio then you are able to think about the fluidity of your soap. You have 2 choices. Adding more water or using a lye discount (Super fatting is the same thing) to get the fluidity you want. I have learned adding (would have learned this from a calc but they are not programmed enough) adding more water takes away the soap your bars will produce. However, lye discounting or just plain adding much more oil will give you the same fluidity. I learned this from my spreadsheet which a soap calc. is also capable of but they do not complete their programming in making the website. they just resize your total quantity and you lose the knowledge that could be gained. Sort of the difference between me and you in a car and a race car driver. We are just steering wheel holders. Here is a picture of one of my bars. Instead of an incredible amount of water it was lye discounted about 15% and it is still vary hard.

Iwannasoap, you make beautiful soaps!

I, um, can't believe this thread is still going. I know I said I was done, but my willpower is weak. Last night I tried to explain this 90+ post thread to DH. Here goes:

Barista: Would you like room for cream?

Sir: Yes please.

Barista hands coffee cup to customer.

Sir: There is LESS COFFEE in my cup!

Barista: Yes, but you asked for room for cream. Less coffee, more cream.

Sir: Less coffee means less caffeine!

Barista: Can I top that off for you?

Sir hands back cup. It is filled to the brim with coffee. Sir goes to cream and sugar stand. Picks up jug of cream.

Sir: THERE IS NO ROOM FOR CREAM IN MY CUP!!!

Barista: Yes sir, would you like me to dump some of that out for you? No? Ok, would you like to upgrade to a large coffee?

Sir: I don't want to pay for a large coffee, I want this cup, full, with cream! You may not know this, but the more cream you put in the cup, the less coffee you can put in the cup, so you must fill up the cup but leave just enough room for cream, maximazing the caffeine in the cup! They probably don't tell you this in training....

Lights fade as line forms behind Sir. End scene.

I can't resist playing the devil's advocate here: do you know that the higher your superfat, the less soap in your bar? Not to mention glycerin just wasting space in there. That could totally be removed. Water will evaporate, so no worries there.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

You will get the same size for now. But water does not turn into soap so a year from now how much will it weigh versus a bar with more soap in it. Soap weighs more then water.
What if you wanted to increase the oils to keep that from happening while at the same time keeping your water:lye ratio that you like? What do you do then?

Like Kittish said, I will probably regret coming into this thread, but this was an amazing car wreck. I can’t look away.

You said you will get the same size for now. I think that you are talking about fresh soap, which is only a step or so removed from soap batter. Yes, over time, a 50oz fresh loaf made with more water will turn into a smaller loaf than a 50oz fresh loaf made with less water.

As Obsidian and everyone else has said, most soapers (even beginning soapers) learn the relationship between SAP values, oils, and lye. No one considers the water except as “that thing you dissolve lye in to activate it”. Yes, high water and low water create useful effects, but you can Soap very well without ever taking those effects into consideration. Soap that gels vs soap that doesn’t gel, difference is cosmetic, it’s still soap.

Long story short: “what if you want to increase your oils to keep that from happening?” I assume from context here that when you say “that” you mean “fresh soap shrinking into finished bar”.

Weighing your bars of fresh soap is counterproductive except as a way to roughly gauge how far along your soap is in the evaporation process. Sure, I cut my med-water fresh soap and I got 140g per bar. (I use grams while curing soap because of the smaller sensitivity.) One week later it’s 130g. Four weeks later it’s 121g, a loss of 19g over a month. Whereas my low water soap after four weeks might have lost 15g and my high water soap lost 25g.

Whatever. This is not important to the soapmaking process. To borrow a programming simile, it’s like saying I have three spaces in my line indents/tabs in Program A and 15 spaces (yikes) in Program B. Or that Program A has no empty lines, commenting is always appended at the end of a line of code, vs the paragraph commenting in Program B. Programmer A likes to be sparing with their white space (water) and Programmer B likes using white space.

The program is the same. Sure, the raw code before compiling is smaller for Programmer A and bigger for Programmer B. But then you compile the code (cure the soap). In the end you get the same soap as long as you ignore the water.

Water in soap is like white space and empty lines in programming. You are not programming in Python.

This is why everyone else is telling you that it doesn’t matter how much water there is. Water is white space.

I once accidentally superfatted 15% which was the same thing as an extreme lye discount. It was pretty fluid and it worked out really well. Couldn't you do that instead of using lots of water?

Do you realize that all that unsaponified oil will turn rancid much quicker than the soap will? People soap with high water instead of a high super fat in order to not have a rancid (or oily) bar of soap at the end. (Extreme oversimplification based only on wanting the soap batter to be more fluid. I know there are other reasons to superfat. ^_^)

Iwannasoap, you make beautiful soaps!

I, um, can't believe this thread is still going. I know I said I was done, but my willpower is weak. Last night I tried to explain this 90+ post thread to DH. Here goes:

Barista: Would you like room for cream?

Sir: Yes please.

Barista hands coffee cup to customer.

Sir: There is LESS COFFEE in my cup!

Barista: Yes, but you asked for room for cream. Less coffee, more cream.

Sir: Less coffee means less caffeine!

Barista: Can I top that off for you?

Sir hands back cup. It is filled to the brim with coffee. Sir goes to cream and sugar stand. Picks up jug of cream.

Sir: THERE IS NO ROOM FOR CREAM IN MY CUP!!!

Barista: Yes sir, would you like me to dump some of that out for you? No? Ok, would you like to upgrade to a large coffee?

Sir: I don't want to pay for a large coffee, I want this cup, full, with cream! You may not know this, but the more cream you put in the cup, the less coffee you can put in the cup, so you must fill up the cup but leave just enough room for cream, maximazing the caffeine in the cup! They probably don't tell you this in training....

Lights fade as line forms behind Sir. End scene.

I can't resist playing the devil's advocate here: do you know that the higher your superfat, the less soap in your bar? Not to mention glycerin just wasting space in there. That could totally be removed. Water will evaporate, so no worries there.

:mrgreen
I'm drinking my coffee right now reading this great analogy as a matter of fact! :)
And for the first time in this thread someone has me stumped.
I normally superfat very low or if I feel a little froggy none at all and I did suspect the excess oil to wash down the drain a little quicker but had no idea about the glycerin. That, my friend, I would like to know more about!
Maybe it is a good idea then not to SF too much.
I guess that is why this might be a good thread for things like that to come out in the open.
Thank you by the way.
RJ

How on earth is this still going?????

I probably shouldn't jump in here but I'll bite. I might regret it.

You seem to have trouble grasping the well known concept that high water soap batter achieves gel more easily than low water soap.

You seem to be saying the opposite is true.

Please explain this ghost swirl soap I made recently. The main portion of the batter was made with high water (but goats milk substituted for all the water). As we know, when goats milk gels it turns tan/brown. The small portion of the batter was made with very low water (milk). The soap was wrapped in a towel to encourage gel.

Using your theory that low water soap gels easier, please explain why the low water portion of my batch has not gelled, and remains nice and white, whereas the majority of the soap which had high water, has gelled and turned a tan colour
I hope you don't mind but I'd like to message you one more time.
You really hit to the core of this whole discussion and it is probably the source of this whole discussion which really put me through my paces.
We were both right in one sense or another but in a slightly reversed way.
You, and many others have said, that slightly higher water, if I interpret it correctly seem to say, gels hotter.
That is where I say that less water gels gels quicker and hotter which is in fact true. But that is not necessarily better.
The reason our differences were skewed is that neither one of us considered "time" as a factor.
Time in the gel phase is better and that is where slightly higher water comes into the picture.
So time is the key and not higher heat to burn off quicker. So, thanks again. You really hit home and hopefully we both learned something.:)

...........That is where I say that less water gels gels quicker and hotter which is in fact true..............

But that is not a definite truth in the way that you present it. Here's why:

Soap does indeed need heat in order to gel. Gel being a change in phase, if we are being correct. But it needs more than just heat - it needs water. Without water, the amount of heat needed would be impractical for pretty much all soaping applications. Think of it like a lubricant in an engine - no oil means that the engine CAN run, but it runs much better with oil. Too little oil and it starts to very wrong indeed.

More water makes it easier for a phase change to happen at a given temperature. Let's take x Celcius as our temperature. With a set amount of water at x, the soap will be able to gel. Lower that water amount too much and the soap cannot gel at x. You have to increase the temperature to get that soap to gel.

38 oz OO
5% Superfat
.135 * (38 *.05) = 138 grams of water and 138 grams of lye.

Just wanted to point out that there is a flaw in your math.

First, multiplying your oil weight by .05 and the SAP value will not give you the amount of NaOH needed for a 5% SF; it gives you the amount needed for a 95% SF.
Second, for some (newbies?) it may not be evident where the "138 grams" come from as you started out with 38 ounces of oil.

The formula would be more accurate if written as--

38 oz * 0.135 * 0.95 = 4.874 oz NaOH

(where 38 oz is the amount of oil, 0.135 is the SAP value, and 0.95 is the percentage of oil that you want saponified).

Then--

4.874 oz * 28.35 g/oz = 138.164 g

(28.35 g/oz is the conversion factor for converting ounces to grams).

Your result is the same, but the math to get there is incorrect.

Wow! This is 10 pages already??! I promised myself I wasn’t going to say anything but... For the sake of potential newbies.

‘A Wise man will hear and increase in learning and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel’ Proberbs. That is the verse that popped up when I read this thread.

This is the one thread I pray a newbie never read on SMF because it will confuse and make a fun and truly rewarding hobby really tedious.

If at page 10 the OP still see things his way, another 15-20 pages is not going to change his mind..

There was actually a period in between the two sentences that you thought I was saying that mine was the same as yours. lol. I had to look closely myself.
What I referring to was, however way you do it, you try to get a certain fluidity too!
I once accidentally superfatted 15% which was the same thing as an extreme lye discount. It was pretty fluid and it worked out really well. Couldn't you do that instead of using lots of water? Not questioning your method just asking about your madness. lol
You seem to be doing pretty well and I like that.:)

Oh yeah, He doesn't say it is best. He implies that it is just as good and should not be afraid of it.
It is from that point that I was able to put more oil in it and it has eliminated a few problems.
Yes, I want a certain fluidity. However I certainly don't want 15% superfat to achieve that in a regular bar of soap. I can't help but think that would feel greasy after a wash. I make a recipe with higher coconut oil (25%) that I superfat at 7% and that is plenty. I do make salt bars with 20% superfat, which is pretty standard, but they need the higher superfat to counteract the stripping quality of the 80-100% coconut oil. I am not really a big fan of them, but they are popular!

I just can't see why adding extra oil to achieve fluidity would be preferable to extra water. The water goes away, the oil doesn't. And it doesn't turn into soap, which I read as your whole premise from the start.

And when I say superfat, I really do mean lye discount, because the lye calculators actually are doing a lye discount for you and just call it superfat. It's only really superfat if you are adding extra oils, such as some people do in hp. For example, you want to make a 100% coconut oil soap. Your mold holds 1000 g, you can use 1000 g in soapcalc with 20% superfat (lye discount) and it will calculate lye for 800 g. If you want to actually figure it as superfat, you do the math... 1000 g * .80 = 800 g for the saponified amount and 1000 g - 800 g = 200 g for the superfat amount. While a single oil recipe is quite simple, multiple oils becomes more complex. Since you can't determine which oils will actually be the superfat in cp, it isn't worth it to me. I'll let the calc do it for me. Especially when you consider that if you really want a true superfat, you can enter 0% as superfat in the calc and it won't discount the lye. Easier to say 5% of 1000 g is 50 g to add later (in hp anyway).

I wouldn't use oil or water for fluidity, temperature control and less SBing will keep your soap more fluid for longer unless you have a crazy fast tracing recipe.

I should have worded my post differently. I don't add extra water for fluidity. I was referring to more than 1:1, extra being any amount over the amount needed for lye. I have determined that most of my recipes move at a speed I have plenty of working time with at 2:1.

Well the conversion was pretty helpful and thanks.
My equation just had a pair of parenthesis which needs to be worked first and therefore didn't need to use .95
The both work out though to the same answer.
You would have to excuse me doing that. That is about what I do when I used to write programs.

I wouldn't use oil or water for fluidity, temperature control and less SBing will keep your soap more fluid for longer unless you have a crazy fast tracing recipe.
What is Sbing?

Yes, I want a certain fluidity. However I certainly don't want 15% superfat to achieve that in a regular bar of soap. I can't help but think that would feel greasy after a wash. I make a recipe with higher coconut oil (25%) that I superfat at 7% and that is plenty. I do make salt bars with 20% superfat, which is pretty standard, but they need the higher superfat to counteract the stripping quality of the 80-100% coconut oil. I am not really a big fan of them, but they are popular!

I just can't see why adding extra oil to achieve fluidity would be preferable to extra water. The water goes away, the oil doesn't. And it doesn't turn into soap, which I read as your whole premise from the start.

And when I say superfat, I really do mean lye discount, because the lye calculators actually are doing a lye discount for you and just call it superfat. It's only really superfat if you are adding extra oils, such as some people do in hp. For example, you want to make a 100% coconut oil soap. Your mold holds 1000 g, you can use 1000 g in soapcalc with 20% superfat (lye discount) and it will calculate lye for 800 g. If you want to actually figure it as superfat, you do the math... 1000 g * .80 = 800 g for the saponified amount and 1000 g - 800 g = 200 g for the superfat amount. While a single oil recipe is quite simple, multiple oils becomes more complex. Since you can't determine which oils will actually be the superfat in cp, it isn't worth it to me. I'll let the calc do it for me. Especially when you consider that if you really want a true superfat, you can enter 0% as superfat in the calc and it won't discount the lye. Easier to say 5% of 1000 g is 50 g to add later (in hp anyway).
That 15% was by accident and its not greasy at all. In fact you cant even tell.
It is a wooden looking bar that I made. I kept wondering, while I was pouring the different colored circles, why hasn't my recipe hardened up yet. It has like 3 hard oils and a few soft oils and Palm Kernel flakes hardens kind of fast.
Then later when I was entering my notes I noticed that I had changed a few things on my spread sheet and just copied and pasted some other oils in the same recipe I was working on. That recipe only had 3 oils before now it has 5 with lots of shea butter in it.
I actually only SF between 0 - 3% may be 5%.

Like Kittish said, I will probably regret coming into this thread, but this was an amazing car wreck. I can’t look away.

You said you will get the same size for now. I think that you are talking about fresh soap, which is only a step or so removed from soap batter. Yes, over time, a 50oz fresh loaf made with more water will turn into a smaller loaf than a 50oz fresh loaf made with less water.

As Obsidian and everyone else has said, most soapers (even beginning soapers) learn the relationship between SAP values, oils, and lye. No one considers the water except as “that thing you dissolve lye in to activate it”. Yes, high water and low water create useful effects, but you can Soap very well without ever taking those effects into consideration. Soap that gels vs soap that doesn’t gel, difference is cosmetic, it’s still soap.

Long story short: “what if you want to increase your oils to keep that from happening?” I assume from context here that when you say “that” you mean “fresh soap shrinking into finished bar”.

Weighing your bars of fresh soap is counterproductive except as a way to roughly gauge how far along your soap is in the evaporation process. Sure, I cut my med-water fresh soap and I got 140g per bar. (I use grams while curing soap because of the smaller sensitivity.) One week later it’s 130g. Four weeks later it’s 121g, a loss of 19g over a month. Whereas my low water soap after four weeks might have lost 15g and my high water soap lost 25g.

Whatever. This is not important to the soapmaking process. To borrow a programming simile, it’s like saying I have three spaces in my line indents/tabs in Program A and 15 spaces (yikes) in Program B. Or that Program A has no empty lines, commenting is always appended at the end of a line of code, vs the paragraph commenting in Program B. Programmer A likes to be sparing with their white space (water) and Programmer B likes using white space.

The program is the same. Sure, the raw code before compiling is smaller for Programmer A and bigger for Programmer B. But then you compile the code (cure the soap). In the end you get the same soap as long as you ignore the water.

Water in soap is like white space and empty lines in programming. You are not programming in Python.

This is why everyone else is telling you that it doesn’t matter how much water there is. Water is white space.
That sounds pretty clear to me.
But, I will tell you that I had an epiphanyin this thread. I was just looking for his response when I saw this so I stopped here for a sec.
In a nutshell, soap calcs are wrongfully designed in the way of the print button. When a ratio changes your total volume will change. It will not readjust the oils that you need to maintain your requirement. I only learned that when I completed my spreadsheet. It is not so obvious from working a soap calc that you can increase your oil when your water decreases. Your oils increases but your water:lye ratio will stay the same.
The main thing is if various ingredients adjusted and still kept the volume that I wanted I would have learned much more. That is really the only way it is deceiving. It is hiding how the adjustments really work. Couldnt think of a one liner

But that is not a definite truth in the way that you present it. Here's why:

Soap does indeed need heat in order to gel. Gel being a change in phase, if we are being correct. But it needs more than just heat - it needs water. Without water, the amount of heat needed would be impractical for pretty much all soaping applications. Think of it like a lubricant in an engine - no oil means that the engine CAN run, but it runs much better with oil. Too little oil and it starts to very wrong indeed.

More water makes it easier for a phase change to happen at a given temperature. Let's take x Celcius as our temperature. With a set amount of water at x, the soap will be able to gel. Lower that water amount too much and the soap cannot gel at x. You have to increase the temperature to get that soap to gel.
What do you call reaching gel "easier". Does it mean faster, quicker or hotter?
If your talking about reaching a gel phase pudding like mixture easier then maybe yes you are correct with more, not alot, but more water. If your talking about reaching gel phase quicker in the definition of hotter then that would be low water recipes. But the difference between the 2 is that medium water might not get as hot but it will stay in the gel phase longer.
That really is the key and why medium water is better. It is LENGTH OF TIME that matters more then anything and the fellow with the beige soap was great example. Low water soaps have a melting point (gel phase) as high as boiling water. Medium water does not and I guess you could say that is "easier" and takes less energy to get there and it stays in the gel phase longer.
My original thought process was the hotter the better. But that is only good if it maintains the heat. Low water will not maintain that heat as well as medium water. It fizzles out!
I did have to break out a book, while it does confirm low water gets hotter it is not necessarily better or worse the medium water. And it's conclusion is length of "time" in the gel phase should be considered. I agree. The length of time in the gel phase was turning the sugar and protein in his goats milk soap.
I would rather put milk in the microwave for a minute versus 5 minutes!

That's some pretty kool looking soap and a very tall order. Hope the heat didn't stay hot for too long to make it go bad in the future.
I'll answer your question like this. Low water soaps get hotter and saponify faster then medium and high water soaps therefore they come out of the mold much easier and faster. The rate at which they lose water is the same as medium and high water except they stop losing weight sooner - Not saying they are cured. They lose 2 weeks sooner then medium and 4 weeks before high.
However, in soap, their are 3 variables. Oil, water, and lye. Lye by itself is safe to handle and is a stored form of energy. When water is combined with lye it allows for a heat transfer through a chemical reaction blah blah blah here.
Water molecules fill the gaps between lye and oil. As more water is added those gaps get larger and larger away from the heat source but it allows the lye to move more and more freely. This will tie in later.
Like all heat sources, the farther away from the heat source, the longer it takes to get hot. In that respect, low water gets hotter faster, saponifies more quickly and demolds faster and loses all of its weight about 4 weeks faster then high water. Their is another difference here also that I will get to later.
Higher water values do not nearly get as hot as 200 degrees as low water. Medium and low water values do tend to hover in the gelatinous stage together for a while but because the lye water is able to move around a little more freely it will not burn off energy as quickly as low water. It will not get as hot as low water but it does stay warmer longer because of the freedom the lye has. In other words, it is the same thing as putting your milk into a microwave for a minute on high. You'll probably have just warm milk. But if you put your milk in there for 10 on medium, Well you probably just spoiled your milk. Which is your case.
Getting back to the other difference that I favor. I perfectly well realize might or might not stay warm for longer periods of time, not hotter mind you, but for a longer period. I like to have my colors just bright enough but I prefer more oil with less water in the same volume of soap batter because right now I feel that more soap and lesser water means less weight loss a year from now. What that does in how it affects dragging away dirt, I don't know. I also feel right now that it will not dissove in water quite as easily. It does not freeze up on me and I don't get DOS. And don't ask me that question because I haven't experienced it for about 75 loaves.
Do you still say I am confused?
One more thing. I still stand on the fact of soap calcs are decieving. If I chose a different water:lye ratio all it does is decrease my volume. If you just go back and readjust your oil, your volume will increase and you will still get the ratio you want.

Yes I still think you are confused. I didn't ask about saponification rate, I asked about gel. I haven't been able to decipher an answer your response, to my question. Clearly the low water (milk) portion of my soap HASNT gelled. The high water (milk) portion has. But you seem to believe the opposite would occur. How else did I manage this colour variation?

I do thank you for the compliment on the soap :D I was pretty happy with how it turned out

I do have to ask though, are you also now saying that gelling a milk soap ruins it?? LOL it hasn't ruined my soap, trust me. People do HP with goats milk and don't ruin it. Some people choose to gel milk soap routinely and it doesn't ruin it.

You, and many others have said, that slightly higher water, if I interpret it correctly seem to say, gels hotter.
That is where I say that less water gels gels quicker and hotter which is in fact true.

I guess I have to admire you for being so certain that you are correct, when in fact you are wrong. Repeatedly saying it, doesn't make it true.

Btw - I'm not a fellow ;)

I'm I understanding correctly that
Low water gels at 200 but only reaches 140
Medium water gels at 160 and heats itself to 160
High water gels at 140 and heats itself to 180

Those were just random numbers for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back