Soap calc iPhone apps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBarnett

Reaction score
I have bought all of the iPhone soap calc apps. Most all of them take my 5 lb recipe and turns it in to a less than one pound one. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions? The apps in question is soap calc pro, soap calculator pro, and soap calc. All by Bars.

Also does anyone know of a book or web site that has an extensive list of oils, etc. and their soap making properties? I am looking for something like and oil, etc encyclopedia.

Robert

I never had much luck with the SoapCalc phone app either, but I do like the PC version. Sorry, I don't know of other apps that work better.

IL gave some great links to oil properties, but if you're looking for hard copy data to peruse, try the softcover Idiots Guide to Soapmaking (Trew and Gould 2010). It got me a good start for the year it took to find this forum. I still have flags on the oil properties chapter -- and other sections too.

Robert, I just used soapcalc on my iPhone, and I changed the settings to ounces, I added 5 different oils at 16 oz each, and it gave me a list in grams, ounces and pounds side by side. hope this helps.

The site soapee.com works really well on mobile browsers. Unfortunately its online only, no app, but I like it much better than the other calcs I've seen

I use the Brambleberry app and it's all I use now. In their main app, I use their lye calculator. You can add any weight from the huge list of oils, even the exotic oils. I store my different recipes for different weights or depending on the mold. For example I save the recipe and title it: Bastille Pringles Can Mold and I can refer back to it anytime and store notes on it. I've had no problem with it.

Susan Cavitch's book is an excellent resource on qualities of oils, including a minimal but useful discussion of fatty acid qualities in soapmaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought all of the iPhone soap calc apps. Most all of them take my 5 lb recipe and turns it in to a less than one pound one. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions? The apps in question is soap calc pro, soap calculator pro, and soap calc. All by Bars.

Also does anyone know of a book or web site that has an extensive list of oils, etc. and their soap making properties? I am looking for something like and oil, etc encyclopedia.

Robert

Oh and this website also has a nice overview on oils, although I find Susan's book more manageable:

http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/properties-soapmaking-oils

Back