Soap cake with whipped soap topping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadowHillFarmCT

Reaction score
Ok - I made soap cakes yesterday. Today I decided to make the topping/decorations with whipped soap.

I took my normal recipe batch and instead of melting the oils together I whipped with a hand mixer. I mixed my lye with rain water instead of GM because I wanted a whiter color. I put the lye mixture in the freezer to cool. When all my oils were whipped together I add the lye slowly until it was well incorporated and fluffy - looked great....

As I was piping the frosting on the cakes I came across some bits of coconut oil that was clogging my tip. hmmm

I started to think - that oil that didn't melt/mix - will this be bad? Did I do it wrong? Oh crap.... Will the lye saponify the oils if they are not melted first?

I've never done a whipped soap, so I'm not sure, but I woudln't be surprised if you end up with some lye pockets.
I would probably scrape what you can off the cakes and start over but that's just what I would do.
Let us know how it turns out.

You can only hope that most of the oils were melted. The chunks probably won't saponify.

Another guess about what went wrong - you might have cooled the lye too much.

When I read Nizzy's website and instructions none of the oils were "melted" but at room temperature. The lye was cool and not real cold.

I think the coconut oil I have is really hard - I soap in my basement that is cold..

It was very soft and fluffy but I fear the coconut oil may be small solid bits - how will that saponify?

I think I may scrape it off and go back to my original way of frosting. That is to make my soap as normal and let it get really thick and then pipe it...

That may work for Nizzy's room - placed in Australia.

Maybe I am overly cautious, but I whip after I melt them and let them cool down. Which does require more patience, because at first, they won't whip properly. But as you mix some more, the air that's being incorporated helps cool down the oils and you get the same fluffy result.

For this soap ... maybe you could rebatch and whip the result. Just I am not sure it's worth the extra effort.

Fragola said:
That may work for Nizzy's room - placed in Australia.

Maybe I am overly cautious, but I whip after I melt them and let them cool down. Which does require more patience, because at first, they won't whip properly. But as you mix some more, the air that's being incorporated helps cool down the oils and you get the same fluffy result.

That is a great point - thank you...

Do you think there is any saving this batch? Maybe heating it all up again? I've never heated up with lye already in the oils. It will probably be HP soap..

I guess it is worth a try....

MeadowHillFarmCT said:
[o you think there is any saving this batch? Maybe heating it all up again? I've never heated up with lye already in the oils. It will probably be HP soap..

I guess it is worth a try....

Reheating it will probably work since then it's basically going to be like HP or rebatching. I had a similar problem but I made the assumption the bits in the soap was unmelted palm oil. It might have been coconut. Anyway, I didn't rebatch it and the soap turned out fine but I wasn't trying to whip it. I just poured it into a loaf mold.

JMO, but I'd rebatch or reheat and use it as regular soap.

I've actually decided to wait it out and see if it still zaps after a week. If it does then I will scrape it all off and rebatch the frosting. I can always frost the cakes later..

The one time I made whipped soap, I ended up with unmelted bits too. It didn't zap after a couple of weeks and no lye pockets, but it was a terrible texture as it cured.

ToniD said:
The one time I made whipped soap, I ended up with unmelted bits too. It didn't zap after a couple of weeks and no lye pockets, but it was a terrible texture as it cured.

That is good to know. I used it just for the whipped topping on the soap cakes and so far it seems ok - I won't put my tongue on it for a week.. I figure the worst case I scrape it all off and rebatch. My cakes have to cure for at least 6 weeks so I have time to do a different topping if I need to or just leave as pie :)

I hope you sort it out!

I made Nizzy's soap once ... way too much hard work for me. Now I make my usual CP recipe and using my stick blender on/off etc ... I mix and mix and mix some more (if necessary). It will get to a wonderful thick trace. Spoon it into your piping bags and pipe away!

I'm so pleased I read that others were doing this, as it's so much easier. Also now I split recipes and make half or three quarters for the base and then go back and stick blend the rest till it's thick enough to pipe.

Any spare bits ... pipe onto a sheet of silicon or into small silicon moulds and then you have spare stary bits for decorations etc.

The exact same thing happened to me one of the first few times I used Nizzy's recipe. The pockets of CO ended up turning yellow after only a couple of weeks, so I cut the icing off and re-batched the cupcakes.

Just in case you want to try this recipe again, here's how I do it. It seems to work for me.

I melt all the oils in the bowl I use for whipping the soap. It's an older Typperware bowl, but I only use it for soaping. I leave it in the fridge overnight, as well as the lye mixture.

The oils whip up really well. I then add the lye/water a little at a time, making sure not to splash. It all whips up really well.

Do post pics!

Back