Soap buyer, not a soap maker

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizvocal

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is thinking about or is already making a replica of the white vegetable oil soap with tea tree oil from Trader Joe's. They discontinued this excellent soap and I have not yet found an adequate substitute. I have a septic system and need a gentle, biodegradable soap for my face and body. If anyone is already making this soap, please let me know where I can buy it!

If you have the label, post the ingredients so we can see what's in it. I have no idea if soap is biodegradable, but I know some forms of surfactants are, which is what you find in body washes or some commercial "soap" bars.

I found the ingredients, seems like a simple palm and palm kernel soap. From the reviews, its seems to be quite gentle so the palm kernel must be on the lower end.

Attachments

• 20190523_051345.jpg
    20190523_051345.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 39
Thanks, Obsidian! and thanks lenarenee for asking, I didn't think of that.

I also forgot to add that there is definitely a market for this soap, beyond just me. The last few bars that sold on eBay sold for $20 for the 2 pack.

The thing is, there is nothing special about that soap or the ingredients. Most likely people are experiencing the benefits of a gentle lye soap.
Often, skin issues will clear up when switching from commercial detergent bars to a real soap bar.
Let me look around on amazon, bet I can find a decent replacement for you to try

I'd try this, sounds like a nicer soap since it has jojoba oil and aloe. https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Essence-TTree-Therapy-Soap/dp/B01M13WGL7/

I think it also is sold at trader joes. I know our local health food stores carry that brand

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if anyone is thinking about or is already making a replica of the white vegetable oil soap with tea tree oil from Trader Joe's.
I make a soap similar to that. It's a family favorite because it's so mild. I've never used Tea Tree in it, but that would be easy to add. My only concern is the pentasodium pentetate . It is a "chelating agent" used in cosmetics (used in soap to bind and sequester metal ions). It isn't necessary and I would leave it out. That's probably why it was taken off the shelf -- to reformulate without it.

If interested, I can ship a bar for you to try. Click on my avatar and choose "Start Conversation". I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited:
The ingredients look typical of many of the commercial, mass marketed 'natural vegetable' soaps you can find out in the retail arena. Venezia Soapworks on Amazon, for example (and others 'natural' veggie soap businesses that I found on the internet), list the exact same ingredients in the exact same order as listed on the Trader Joe's package, only with different scents listed in place of the tea tree oil, which made me think this soap was most likely mass produced from bulk soap noodles derived from a lye-based formula.....and upon further investigation which led me to a marketing research website of all places, I found I was on the right track, and that a typical blend of these bulk noodles is made from palm oil and palm kernel oil (or coconut oil). It even disclosed the typical ratios of each oil in the different blends on the market, the most common blend being 80% palm oil and 20% palm kernel oil for it's 'proper balance' of cleansing power, lather and hardness.

I also saw that Candles and Supplies sells such bulk noodles on their website, only instead of the pentasodium petatate, they use testrasodium EDTA as their chelator (as do I in my own soap).

So....if you wanted to try to make your own, you can do so from scratch using 80% palm and 20% PKO and the proper amount of lye, water and tea tree oil, or you could buy the noodles from Candle and Supplies and rebatch them into soap bars with the addition of tea tree oil in the proper/safe amount.

IrishLass :)

Back