Soap beginner.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greta

Reaction score
Hello, I tried my first soap recipes and all went wrong... my soap hardens while still in the mixing bowl... Probably was to high temperature.
But maybe my recipe can be better, what do you think?
Castor oil 20%
Coconut 25%
Olive oil 35%
Almond oil 10%
Shea butter 10%

I don't see anything wrong with your recipe except that castor oil is too high. Typical ranges for castor oil are 5-10%. It does not make nice soap on its own, it enhances the properties of the other oils, so less is more for castor. While castor does accelerate trace, I don't think it would cause your soap to seize.

Please specify your complete process, including lye concentration, and any additional ingredients add to the mixture - colors or fragrance, milks etc. Often times fragrances are the culprit for causing soap to seize, so if you used a fragrance, please specify which brand and fragrance.

Welcome! I agree with @amd about lowering the castor. Given the amount of castor, coconut, and shea combined, I do think that recipe would trace quickly if your oils were pretty warm as indicated. But it should not have seized in the pot - that does sound more like fragrance issues.

Too much stick-blending can be another problem. When you watch videos on soap-making, they are often making very large batches, or they are using the stick blender like a whisk (not turning it on) - or both. Most folks only need a few short bursts with the blender to get their smaller batches emulsified, and then hand-stir the rest of the way.

Latest posts

Back