Soap becomes solid quickly when adding fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoang Duong

Reaction score
When I make soap from coconut oil and sodium hydroxide, I have a problem when I add fragrance to the system. After I mix coconut oil and sodium hydroxide, the solution becomes thicker, I add fragrance to this solution, then the system becomes solid quickly, I can not pour this soap into the mold. Please help me in this case! Thank you!

When I make soap from coconut oil and sodium hydroxide, I have a problem when I add fragrance to the system. After I mix coconut oil and sodium hydroxide, the solution becomes thicker, I add fragrance to this solution, then the system becomes solid quickly, I can not pour this soap into the mold. Please help me in this case! Thank you!
I haven’t made 💯 coconut oil soap but I will say that soaping at cooler temperatures help slow trace & using stick blender SPARINGLY is a must!

What fragrance are you using? Many of them are known to make soap "accelerate" or become very thick, very quickly. Along with what LynetteO said about temperature and blending, your lye concentration (amount of water) makes a difference. Coconut oil is also pretty quick to trace.

If possible, please post the entire recipe with the amount of each ingredient, including the water and the name of the fragrance. Then also tell us about the temperature and how much you blended. We can probably help you narrow down the most likely cause(s) of the problem.

What fragrance are you using? Many of them are known to make soap "accelerate" or become very thick, very quickly. Along with what LynetteO said about temperature and blending, your lye concentration (amount of water) makes a difference. Coconut oil is also pretty quick to trace.

If possible, please post the entire recipe with the amount of each ingredient, including the water and the name of the fragrance. Then also tell us about the temperature and how much you blended. We can probably help you narrow down the most likely cause(s) of the problem.
I send you the formulation:
Lye solution
  • 66 g Sodium hydroxide 2.35 oz
  • 150 g Distilled water 5.29 oz
Solid oils
  • 454 g Coconut oil (refined) 16 oz
I mix the system at room temperature by stirring until the system becoming thicker, then adding fragrance (floral, vanilla, fruity,...). But it becomes solid quickly. Please give me some solution to handle this case! Thanks!

I haven’t made 💯 coconut oil soap but I will say that soaping at cooler temperatures help slow trace & using stick blender SPARINGLY is a must!
Thanks!!!!!

More information about the fragrance would be helpful:
1. Where did you get it?
2. Is it made for cold process soap?
3. Did the manufacturer have any information about how to use it or how it will behave in soap?

More information about the fragrance would be helpful:
1. Where did you get it?
2. Is it made for cold process soap?
3. Did the manufacturer have any information about how to use it or how it will behave in soap?
1. I use the fragrance from the Fragrance House
2. I am not sure.
3. I usually use this fragrance for perfume or shower gel

Thanks!

1. I use the fragrance from the Fragrance House
2. I am not sure.
3. I usually use this fragrance for perfume or shower gel

Thanks!
I don't know the company you mentioned, but if it is the result that is coming up when I google it....it looks like perfume, not fragrance oil. Perfume will cause soap to seize because of the alcohol content.

It sounds like the fragrance is the culprit. Recipe seems fine. I ran it through a calculator and the lye and water were close using 20% superfat and 31% lye concentration.

The Fragrance House I found online sells essential oils. If that is where you are shopping, there are a few essential oils that make the soap thicken up quickly (accelerate). Are you using essential oils?

The Fragrance House I found online sells essential oils. If that is where you are shopping, there are a few essential oils that make the soap thicken up quickly (accelerate). Are you using essential oils?
I use fragrance oil, not essential oils.

If the fragrance oil is not specifically made for soap, it may contain alcohol, which will make it become thick very fast, as mentioned above. Even some fragrances that are made for soap also make it thicken quickly; you mentioned that it is a floral scent, and they are famous for that.

I don't know the company you mentioned, but if it is the result that is coming up when I google it....it looks like perfume, not fragrance oil. Perfume will cause soap to seize because of the alcohol content.
I use fragrance oil, not alcohol content.

Back