Soap batch acting up !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tochie

Reaction score
Hello everyone...
I just finished with a recipe...Am not sure what seems to be wrong with the soap batter. I included <1g of menthol crystals and 14mls of Blueman’s Fragrance oil.
Soaped at 110-100 deg F.
Here’s my recipe below
IMG_9489.jpg
IMG_9496.JPG
IMG_9494.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like ricing to me! Which is most often caused by your fragrance oil. What did you use for fragrance?

Yes, the soap recipe is named 'Cool Minty Soap' so I would assume a fragrance containing some mint, BUT the recipe does not show the amount of fragrance to use. Do not only which fragrance, but how much?

Looks like ricing to me! Which is most often caused by your fragrance oil. What did you use for fragrance?

I used 14mls of Blueman’s Fragrance oil for a masculine scent and <1g menthol crystals for a cool minty feel.

I crushed the menthol crystals and added it to my soaping oils before lye water...then the added the Fragrance oil at thin trace...
Which resulted to the picture above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, sound like the fo doesn't play nice. I can't speak on the menthol because I've never used it. You didn't use a lot of fragrance for the recipe size. Have you tried this fo without the menthol to see if it behaves differently?

I agree, sound like the fo doesn't play nice. I can't speak on the menthol because I've never used it. You didn't use a lot of fragrance for the recipe size. Have you tried this fo without the menthol to see if it behaves differently?

Thanks for your imput...and Yes I have...it riced a lil...but not as bad as this batch.

If it isn't too much trouble, Tochie, I'm wondering if you could supply a link to the calculator you used? It's SO easy to read! Thanks! ;)

Sure...ofcourse...its an App tho ..
Its called: soap calc pro
IMG_9504.jpg

I just wish I can find a possible solution to the problem as earlier mentioned...
And if its truly the Fragrance oil, how can I prevent the F.O from affecting my soap batch badly.

It looks like it is only compatible with iPad and iPhone, so no android option.
I just wish I can find a possible solution to the problem as earlier mentioned...
And if its truly the Fragrance oil, how can I prevent the F.O from affecting my soap batch badly.

Fragrances vary in how they will affect your soap batter. You really have to read the reviews thoroughly to see if they cause acceleration and/or ricing and/or discoloration. Sometimes the vendor/supplier includes that information, but the reviews from actual soapmakers are often more informative.

Some suggestions for fragrances you already have:
  • Do small test batches for each fragrance to minimize the risk and to learn how it performs in soap. Keep notes for future reference.
  • Make sure you follow the safe for skin usage and maximum usage recommendations for any given fragrance.
  • Use a whisk to mix the FO into your batter instead of a SB because if it is going to accelerate, SBing speeds it up even more.
  • Some put the FO into the oil first (I do this also) and thoroughly mix into the oil before adding the lye. It doesn't always prevent acceleration or ricing, however, so keep a good watch and don't over stick blend.
  • For a known accelerating FO, you can add it just right before you put it into the mold, whisking it into the batter (avoid the SB). I have even seen a video of one soaper who for solid colored soap with a finicky FO, pour the soap into the mold (it was a log mold) and THEN adding the FO and mixing it in the mold. I have not tried that myself, so I don't know if it is necessary.

Here is a link to information about the fragrances from Nature's Garden that perform well in soap based on customer responses. Including that information on their website is very customer friendly and should help if you ever choose to utilize NG fragrances.

Others will come along with more tips and links, I am sure.

It looks like it is only compatible with iPad and iPhone, so no android option.

Fragrances vary in how they will affect your soap batter. You really have to read the reviews thoroughly to see if they cause acceleration and/or ricing and/or discoloration. Sometimes the vendor/supplier includes that information, but the reviews from actual soapmakers are often more informative.

Some suggestions for fragrances you already have:
  • Do small test batches for each fragrance to minimize the risk and to learn how it performs in soap. Keep notes for future reference.
  • Make sure you follow the safe for skin usage and maximum usage recommendations for any given fragrance.
  • Use a whisk to mix the FO into your batter instead of a SB because if it is going to accelerate, SBing speeds it up even more.
  • Some put the FO into the oil first (I do this also) and thoroughly mix into the oil before adding the lye. It doesn't always prevent acceleration or ricing, however, so keep a good watch and don't over stick blend.
  • For a known accelerating FO, you can add it just right before you put it into the mold, whisking it into the batter (avoid the SB). I have even seen a video of one soaper who for solid colored soap with a finicky FO, pour the soap into the mold (it was a log mold) and THEN adding the FO and mixing it in the mold. I have not tried that myself, so I don't know if it is necessary.

Here is a link to information about the fragrances from Nature's Garden that perform well in soap based on customer responses. Including that information on their website is very customer friendly and should help if you ever choose to utilize NG fragrances.

Others will come along with more tips and links, I am sure.

Wow....am more than grateful [emoji1431][emoji1431]...
Thank you so much!

I have never had menthol cause my soap to rice. When soap rices you really should try to beat it into submission before pouring in a mold. With a cranky fo it is really easier to hot process

Thanks for your input...appreciate

Back