Soap Bark

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually use powdered sorbitol bc it is cheaper and easier to store than a liquid in a bottle. Here is the one I recently purchased from Amazon. It does make for fantastic lather in bars, and now I'm going to research using it in LS, too.

You are smart to order the PKO flakes. The solid is cheaper, but it's like chipping at rocks to get it out of the container. I may or may not have said a bad word or three as I fussed with it.
Found this just now and while it primarily pertains to bars, I’m curious if the sorbitol could be increased somewhat in LS because it has to be diluted. Scroll down towards the bottom for the test.
https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/blog/updated-lather-lovers-additive-testing

earlene
Therefore, I do not believe it (MEA) would work the same as sorbitol. And I'm not sure it would be wise to introduce something meant to foster the growth of yeasts, molds & fungi into soap.
The MEA is something I had on hand from when I grew some mushrooms. Thanks for your answer.
Cheers
gww

Sure wish you had mentioned this when I was destashing. I sent an almost full gallon of Turkey Red to Hazardous Waste. :-( I like PKO in LS myself. What I always to do was make batches of Single Oil LS and mix them together until I came up with the feel I liked. You can either do this and track your percentages of each single oil LS you added or do this every time you make LS. If you track the percentages you can make your next batch of LS using the oil percentage of how you mixed the single oil LS combination. Hope this made sense. This was how I came up with the LS end product I preferred.
I tried this the other evening mixing a 60% coconut LS with a creamier “year round #3” and the suds were perfect. Used at 50/50

Instead of making a whole new mix, I used my very drying and bubbly 60% coconut mix along with my not so bubbly year round #3 at 50/50. To my surprise, the mix turned out slick. I’ll do some more testing but I think I’m on to something wickedly bubbly without drying

Back