Soap addict and still learning

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mybidda

Reaction score
Hi I've been soaping for just over a year. Totally addicted. Always learning new ways of soaping and new methods etc. I prefer CP soap making.
Yesterday I made 2 log batches using a new method of preparing lye day before. I don't know if I did it wrong? The soap seems quite soft. I am yet to cut it. How do you know if it has gone through the saponification process correctly? Is it likely to fail if I processed it at too low a temperature?
Looking forward to searching the forum and learning.

Welcome.gif
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. 🥰

I don't know if I did it wrong?
To reach a larger audience for input, it's best to post in the Recipe Feedback forum. In order to troubleshoot, we need to see a printout of your recipe along with any helpful details on the way the soap was processed. ;)

Is it likely to fail if I processed it at too low a temperature?
Not "fail" but rather it may take longer to harden as @lsg suggested. :nodding:

Hi I've been soaping for just over a year. Totally addicted. Always learning new ways of soaping and new methods etc. I prefer CP soap making.
Yesterday I made 2 log batches using a new method of preparing lye day before. I don't know if I did it wrong? The soap seems quite soft. I am yet to cut it. How do you know if it has gone through the saponification process correctly? Is it likely to fail if I processed it at too low a temperature?
Looking forward to searching the forum and learning.
Welcome.

In order to know what you did 'wrong', if you actually did, we need to know what you did before and what 'new method' you used.

With that said, the actually process of saponification is usually complete in about 24 hours. If your soap is too soft, that could be any number of things...from the type and amount of oils, water content, soaping temperature, local weather, etc.

Welcome, Mybidda!

Don't be too overly concerned that you'r soap at this point. To me, it just sounds like it did not go through the gel stage, which is not a problem. Many soapers actually try to prevent the gel stage depending on what look they are trying to achieve in their soap. Un-gelled soaps are still soap, but they just take longer to harden up is all.

IrishLass :)

Back