Soap #5

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21048

Reaction score
Today I took someone advice, switched around some of the recipe ratios and made "Shea Butter" soap:

Castor Oil: 68g
Canola Oil: 272g
Coconut Oil: 340g
Lard: 408g
Shea Butter: 272g
Water: 516g
Lye: 189g

The soapcalc.net site is AMAZING! I just google around for recipe ideas now (ingredient combinations) then use the site to tweak it. Tomorrow, hopefully it will be ready to cut, but given the high humidity here (all the time) I may just wait 48 hours to be safe.

Update on soaps 1 thru 4.....they are just getting better and better with age! Love it! Nothing like using your own soap in the shower and at the sink. How cool!

Is there any way to test to see how "cleansing" or effective my soap is? Just a thought.

If you gelled that soap, it will be ready to cut in 18-24 hours after pouring. If you wait 48 hours, you are going to have a too hard loaf of soap that will crumble around the edges when cut.

You will see how cleansing and effective your soap will be in 4-6 weeks. You can pull one bar out and test it weekly by washing your hands. But, strictly speaking here, even a soap with a "0" in cleansing will still clean you.

24 Hours later

Thanks for the feedback. I unmolded this today (24 hours later) and it came out without to much of any trouble. Used cookie cutters to do the shapes, otherwise I am experimenting with how the thickness affects curing. These are for home use so I could careless if they look "pretty".

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Back