Soap 2 Go

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to have to go back and read the original thread because maybe this question was answered in it. But, what about a preservative? Are you going to add one to your recipe? I know my girlfriend and daughter have two or three lip balms split up between their various purses, bags, etc. and I keep one in my desk and one in the car. So, they might not get used very quickly ... just thinking out loud here.

The paste in Susie's Soap2Go has roughly the same amount of soap vs. water as in a bar of soap. It's just a paste due to using KOH vs. using NaOH. IMO, there's no more need for a preservative in this soap paste as there is with bar soap. If you were diluting the soap more ... then it might be worth using a preservative.

Ahhh, I see. I've never made LS before so I wondered if it might need a preservative. But, then I went back and read the original thread and the responses to Misha's posts and figured I might be off base about that.

Thank you for the knowledge. :)

The paste in Susie's Soap2Go has roughly the same amount of soap vs. water as in a bar of soap. It's just a paste due to using KOH vs. using NaOH. IMO, there's no more need for a preservative in this soap paste as there is with bar soap. If you were diluting the soap more ... then it might be worth using a preservative.

Ohhh! So this is like bar soap that never gets hard...awesome! I need to check this out because my son prefers body wash to bars..and I have a whole big box of 4 oz lotion type bottles with the squeeze tops that I intended to use for lotion but never got around to doing it...

YAY! more learning!! wheeeeee!:clap:

This is going to be a tad too thick to use in a squeeze bottle. It is more like Elmer's Paste. If I am showering, I rub about a penny sized bit on a washcloth and proceed to wash. For handwashing, it is more of a petit pois size. If you have any of the small tubs from the dollar stores that are 1-2 oz, that would be a good size for easy storage and portability.

Aww drat, no squeezies? Im crushed.

Wellllll I'll just have to follow along anyway..I need something else to learn :)

I am using 0.5 oz tubes(Essential Bath and Body had the best price/shipping combo). I stuffed the tubes using DeeAnna's "fill it with your fingers" method and tamping down between additions to let the bubbles out. I did poke it a bit with a chopstick at the end to be sure no bubbles remained. This is softer paste than I usually get with liquid soap paste. I am thinking the lard might do that. But it makes it easier to fill and use because it is looser, so I count that as a good thing.

And DeeAnna- you just ROCK! This is just exactly the perfect way to have soap to go!

Don't you think that I should think of the recipe and superfat like I would a bar soap since that is essentially the use it is going to get?(except, of course, the KOH).
Could you share the method for filling?

LOL, I grab a blob of warm paste and shove it in with my fingers. Very time consuming and troublesome, but effective. I only made 6 to start with for myself and my testers. I keep refilling my tube with the extra paste.

I will keep trying to think of a more efficient method, but I made this quite a while ago, and haven't figured it out yet.

Instead of just shoving it in there, maybe you could use a piping bag with a large round mouth tip that fits over the little pole in the middle of the tube and just squeeze it in there? I would think that would make things easier and mess free!

My liquid soap paste is like waxy play dough in texture. It would be difficult to pipe,. Perhaps somebody else's paste is a bit looser so this idea might work for them.

Ah, ok. I've really only worked w/ 100% oo paste which has a much looser consistency. I figured all you smarties out there wouldve used the piping trick if it would've worked!

Last edited:
You know, if you don't mind using a preservative, I don't see why you couldn't add small amounts of water at a time to reach the right consistency for a squeeze tube that could be filled by piping.

I did think about it...right up until I felt the consistency of that paste. I may try a higher OO recipe next to try to manage the consistency. I use it slowly, so it may be a while.

If anyone finds a recipe that yields a consistency that can be piped while warm, yet firms up when cool, PLEASE share!

I'm hoping this may help anyone wanting a simple way to carry (for yourself, cause you can't use this and sell) the soap paste, without spending $$.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zYWMDAAAUY"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zYWMDAAAUY[/ame]

Since we are talking about packaging, this is something else I've wanted to share for awhile:
[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W34jFp4021M"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W34jFp4021M[/ame]
This one is meant for those of us without expensive sealing equipment. It takes longer (extra steps), but if you are small scale it can save $$ and frustration. I use this method to seal the shrink wrap/type stuff (the stuff I use comes from the dollar store and is meant for wrapping around skids) then I use (in the beginning my iron and now) my heat gun to finish by shrinking.

Hope this helps someone

Since I keep thinking I need to try liquid soap (have substantial KOH stash for shaving soap), this seems like something to try. However, I have a container idea for you all who have already made the paste....Check this out for those who will make it only for themselves. I have wanted these to make popsicles for my kids and thought of them as soon as I read the thread.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WRFRIQU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=342JMUKKFGFKR&coliid=I19FXGAFLLJLQK

ETA: These are out of stock, but there are now several other brands if you scroll down to the item "suggestion" area.

Last edited by a moderator:
That holds rather a lot of product. I use my Soap2Go several times a day, and this tube has lasted me over 6 weeks thus far. I wouldn't want to be adding all that additional weight and size to my purse, either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back