So who's gonna try this...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
And report back how easy/hard it was? Newbie??

http://auntieclaras.com/2016/08/agateware-soap

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1471898533.846700.jpg

That is amazing. How talented and patient some people are!! The video link at the beginning of Aunty C's article of Michelle making the teapot is amazing.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the results already!!!

I have a bit of a head start on the project which is why I'm so eager to try it. I still have 2 blobs of the Sorcery Soap dough that needs to be put to good use (pink & orange). My plan is to make 1lb of white base and roll pink/orange pencil-thick rods to use as embeds. Now I just have to decide what FO to use because the pink soap dough is already scented with Love Spell. Any suggestions? I thought BB's Champagne might be a nice compliment but other than that idea I'm stumped.

My favorite part of her blog post is, "Clearly my millefiori technique leaves some room for improvement..." Um, maybe I should send her some photos of my soaps so she can see what 'room for improvement' means... her soaps, even the first attempts, are beautiful and elegant!

I just adore Auntie Clara and her willingness to try new techniques - and then share them! Her blog posts are so well-written, she's funny, kind, smart, and just an incredible artist. Having a major fandom moment!

http://auntieclaras.com/2016/08/agateware-soap/

She describes how she did it. I had an attempt at caning with soap a while back with spectacularly boring and blah effect, posted in the photo section. It was not at all memorable. Looks like I needed to wait longer and use less water. Way to go, Auntie Clara!

Dang newbie, I wish you had posted a link to your caned soap but I will definitely search for it. I'm not so convinced that low water is necessary or desirable for soap dough. The dough I have was probably made at least 2 months ago but it's still pliable after warming it up with a little hand-kneading. It's been kept in plastic wrap inside a ziploc sandwich bag since I got it. I was able to work with it bare-handed from the get go and never felt like I was handling raw, zappy soap.

I'm pretty sure the recipe is a basic lard/CO/OO combo with full water based on some of the Sorcery Soap blog posts. I think the key is unmolding when the loaf is just firm enough to handle but mostly saponified and then wrapping it to cut off air contact. I also suspect possibly using an excess of sodium lactate to make a softer bar . . . can't put my finger on it right now but I think I've read that too much can have that effect. And the Sorcery blog posts indicate leaving soap in the mold for 24-48 hrs which seems like a long time for my 50% lard batches so I think there's something else at play here.

Auntie Clara's blog post also gave me ideas for using rolled out sheets of multi-colored soap dough for a rimmed soap. I'm not patient enough to make a rimmed soap in the traditional fashion but I might be able to use a sheet of soap dough like a fondant liner for a loaf mold. This definitely has my brain spinning with ideas!

Oh no need to go looking. It was pretty dreadful but the same idea. My soap was too soft to work like polymer clay but I could imagine with the right texture, you could do something similar to caning. It's a lot of work though so for a specialty soap, it would fun.

I've gotten that consistency from a batch of really soft oils. Didn't have full water either! I have so many ideas. That picture is inspiring though!

And when you're finished that, you can report on this one. (I sat there with my mouth agape while I watched this!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VID2Sp77Fbo

Great video and gorgeous soap made by none other than SMF's TVivian! I haven't seen her post lately but periodically check the Soapish youtube channel hoping for new videos.

Latest posts

Back