So what's cookin' this weekend?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I dedicate this thread to ReallyRita who is off vacationing, isolated from her soaping gear and supplies, unable to sapponificate, but still in contact via the Internet and I'll be surprised if she doesn't log in. Rita, let's hope you can vicariously enjoy your new hobby until you get back home and can join us in making your new creations! :)

Well here at the 'Hound house I've been tied up in details, details, details, yesterday rebatching my goat (a success) and today waiting for the stars to align (and collecting supplies).

Speaking of alignment I got my two mini-molds lined with freezer paper and my small (3#) mold lined too, so I'm ready for tomorrow's sapponification. I have a variety of ideas skittering around in my head and I don't know which I will pursue.

I've had this idea of a piña colada soap, half and half pineapple and coconut. I've got both FOs from GenWax and the FOs seem fairly strong and I think they'll work okay. I want a different appearance to this bar, a coconut base layer and pineapple on top. Coconut seems inherently white and opaque so I'll make a fairly coconutty soap, perhaps based upon Castile but with CO predominating, and scented coconut FO. I like the idea of a kind of pineapple custard layer on top, and my vision is transparence or translucence, so I've purchased some M&P base for that. And ouch!!! I paid $10 for 2# at Michael's! Well at that price I'm making a very few bars, so I'm thinking of making it a mini-mold project, pouring it flat, a layer of 1/2# CP white coconut, coconut scented, with a layer of 1/2# yellow transparent M&P glycerin scented with pineapple FO. That would produce 4 bars 4 oz each. In the future I hope to replicate the recipe but with my own transparent soap using Failor's process.

That leaves my 3# small mold free for another project. I'm thinking of trying another swirl. I've got plenty of base recipes and don't know which one yet. Do I see a dreamsicle bar in the works? Yes, I believe I do! Maybe I'll try some of my TiO2 for the white...

And still, my other mini-mold, it too all primed with freezer paper. Perhaps I'll do another one-oil recipe with that. I'm thinking of making a 1/2# batch, half of the design size, to get four 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1/2 bars, then cut each in half for eight 2-1/2 x 1-3/4 x 1/2 sample bars of 1 oz each. I'm thinking of throwing together 8 base oils to yield 8 sample bars totaling 8 oz per set, and then offering to trade straight across with other SMF members for two of their 3-4 oz bars, in other words same weight per weight. Anybody interested? :)

Let's see if I get together 8 different soaps each a single oil. It's just basic technique with no creativity, but my creativity hasn't yet developed so in the mean time I might just do the scut work and make up a batch of sample soaps of the base oils. I'll say more if I actually get near this as a viable possibility.

So Lane, what's cookin' at your soapifactory this weekend? :)

I made simple Goatmilk Oatmeal and Honey unscented and turkish mocha with sprinkled gold mica on top. Rebatch of course.

Lane said:
OoOoOoOoOoOoOOo!!! Perhaps someone needs to get a swap going??? :D

Oh, I like this idea.

As for me, I don't know that there is much soaping this weekend. I'm trying to patiently wait for a shipment of color and scent samples before my next project. I have a busy weekend ahead of me anyway. I would love to do something Monday morning before family arrives around noon. We'll see.

Lovehound said:
I've had this idea of a piña colada soap, half and half pineapple and coconut. I want a different appearance to this bar
An idea for your pina colada bar: HP your coconut base then run it over a hand grater. This will make your coconut base look like shredded coconut. Fill your mold with the shreds. Then pour your clear yellow pineapple soap over the top, encasing the shredded coconut.
Some suggestions: after you grate the HP I would spread it out and let it dry for a day or two. It will dry very quickly shredded.
When you pour your M&P try to pour at the coolest temp possible to avoid melting any of the Coconut base.
Just an idea

There's a few people here (more than a few actually) whose soaps I'd love to see in real life and I hope I get something worth trading before the bars I've seen are all gone. I doubt my conventional bars will be up to snuff for a while at least, but I imagine all of us have wondered what the properties of single oils are really like, not with SoapCalc's numbers but to actually see and hold and wash with each one-oil soap to actually experience the difference. I haven't heard of anybody actually making a lot of one-oil soaps however. Anyway if I get enough together for a trade I'll let y'all know. In the mean time please PM me if you want to discuss it. I'd rather not have my idea become the thread topic.

Well it's just dawn of what appears to be a nice Saturday here in Northridge, and I'm soaking up coffee to chemically prepare myself for the day's work.

It looks like my piña colada soap is a go, going to make them in my 1# mini-mold, starting with 1/2# of CP scented coconut and maybe colored with TiO2 if it doesn't look white enough. Then tomorrow I'll layer on top of it with some M&P colored yellow and scented pineapple. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother scenting the layers differently but they're on different days and no good reason to scent both with both scents. One book I have says to prepare the layers for bonding with witch hazel, another says use alcohol. Does anybody have any ideas for me?

Also a likely project for today is the Dreamsicle. I've got the FO from WSP and colorants either powder from TKB or liquid from Select Shades, probably do the latter. The recipe is up for grabs but I really like what Castor does for soaps so I'll probably have some of that in it. I've got several soaper books here and I'll cruise them for recipes, decide then. I might try another swirl too, will be my 4th attempt. I'm leaning towards trying ITP swirling.

That leaves one more mold begging for soap. :) I've been itching to make more avocado (40%) but this time add fresh avocado pulp. It will be my first active additive. Does 1-2 Tablespoons ppo sound right?

That's what I've got planned for today/tomorrow. My weekends are upside down from most of youse. Since I'm not working at present, since the shopping and streets are so nice when everybody is at work, since they're so crowded on weekends, I consider Monday-Friday to be my weekends, Saturday-Sunday the work week. I'm usually stuck at home Saturday-Sunday mainly to let y'all have the streets and shopping and parking headaches. There's no need for you to have me competing for space in the commercial world. :)

Happy soaping! For those of you not having projects, happy reading!

Made a batch yesterday afternoon with coconut, palm, shea, lard, olive, castor. Scented with sweet orange, clove, cinnamon, ginger, patchouli and benzoin. Colored with finely ground coffee, cocoa powder, oatmeal and grated soap bits. Held back a bit of base before scent and color and put it on top. Cafe o'lait......I hope. Smells great.

Right now I'm hoping to head off to a craft fair in Vernon, BC that has about 200 venders. Wouldn't you know it.....it's raining like crazy. Typical BC weather....when you plan to do something outside, it rains.

Hey, pictures, pictures cdwinsby!!! I'd love to see how your nice batch turned out appearance wise. :)

I will, later this afternoon....we're still cooling down right now and I'm off the get wet looking at crafty people's stuff.

your pina colada soap sounds yummy, Greg... can't wait to hear how it turns out!

One question, though.... why did you choose to do the yellow layer an M&P layer instead of a regular CP layer colored yellow?

I got the recipe idea from "Gourmet Soaps Made Easy" by Melinda Coss, and I liked the concept. She too used M&P. Besides, I've never done M&P. I was curious.

The idea of a composite bar intrigues me.

I've got the first layer curing and trying to figure out the major soap of the day. So far 2-3 neurons fired but other than that I don't have a clue. :)

Well, I'm back from the craft fair (talk about a quick trip) and bought my usually stuff.....food and soap!

Here is a picture of the coffee soap I made yesterday. I'm pleased with this one.

2559443286_4fa93beb85_o.jpg

Mmmm looks delicious! You're getting me interested in making a food look-alike soap myself. :)

Very pretty!!

How did you get that shredded coconut look in the brown part?

Very interesting! :D

Actually I think she took advantage of the liabilities of HP/rebatch/milling but I could be wrong.

Back