So what is.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggsy

Reaction score
Ok. This is a weird question but I'm hoping someone can direct me to where to find out as my searching on Dr Google is either wonky or I'm just stupid.
IMG_20210520_140337.jpg

Use the wonky photo but it's been a day!

This is liquid soap cooling down. It will become more transparent as the bubbles rise and dissipate.

But, in science, what is this process called?

And, can the process be explained simply?

I'm thinking that it's just dissipation... But there has to be something happening as it's cooling down as well as gelling. ? It will be transparent when the bubbles/foam dissipates.

Sorry. This could just be a brain fart but my searching hasn't given me an answer. Only thing I found was related to bubble making. I feel a bit stupid as I feel like I should know the answer (especially as I've been doing this for so long) but I can't think what the process is called.

Precipitation is liquid to solid right? So is it just dissipation? Or have I missed something?

Reason I'm asking is I would like to use it as a lesson in STEAM. Primary school aged (5-12). So if I can find the process name, I can research how to include in lesson plan.

edited: added reason why.

Last edited:
Bubbles rising in liquid soap seem like a great way to teach science concepts for STEAM, especially since it seems that most kids are quite familiar with liquid soap. The bubbles dissipate/escape as they move to the top of the liquid soap. The air (or whatever gases are in the bubble) from the bubble is released into the overlying air. Individual bubbles move up because the weight of the gases in the bubble is less than the weight of the liquid soap the bubble displaces. The bubble is buoyant, as are boats that float and helium-filled balloons that get away from us if we let go of the string. The net force of gravity is greatest at the bottom of each bubble. That’s my digest of explanations given here. You could also talk about why the foam forms at the surface interface due to surface tension on the bubble and possibly also extend that to talk about soap foamers that add air to the soap.

Bubbles rising in liquid soap seem like a great way to teach science concepts for STEAM, especially since it seems that most kids are quite familiar with liquid soap. The bubbles dissipate/escape as they move to the top of the liquid soap. The air (or whatever gases are in the bubble) from the bubble is released into the overlying air. Individual bubbles move up because the weight of the gases in the bubble is less than the weight of the liquid soap the bubble displaces. The bubble is buoyant, as are boats that float and helium-filled balloons that get away from us if we let go of the string. The net force of gravity is greatest at the bottom of each bubble. That’s my digest of explanations given here. You could also talk about why the foam forms at the surface interface due to surface tension on the bubble and possibly also extend that to talk about soap foamers that add air to the soap.
thank you!
I knew had something to do with surface tension and weight but couldn't get my brain right yesterday, so, everything I searched was not providing what I needed.
Feel a bit stupid as the concepts are not foreign to me at all.
Thank you so much. I've been filming soap reactions (& processes) as I believe liquid soap making is more accessible to children and there's lots of science involved so I can make a few lessons out of it. I was thinking even simply even showing the differences (& similarities - closest of the hydroxy groups) between KOH & NaOH but then I might be complicating things. Hence why I thought I'd start with simple thickening as the dissipation is happening.

Latest posts

Back