So what causes/contributes to 'draggy' soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your water service provider will have data on your water quality and may give you some information if you call them, otherwise your local council will be another resource to find out your particular water quality.

BOM has general information on ground water quality (which will give you a pretty good idea for your area, if you know where the water storage catchments are). Generally speaking SA water is hard (it looks cloudy, it's got so much calcium in it from the limestone), and Melbourne traditionally has soft water. Sydney is not too bad (in between SA and VIC). I don't know for the west coast. Tasmania's water is sweet too, from memory.

You can also buy test strips from aquarium or pool shops.

I don't think so ... how would I tell?

If you get a lot of deposits in your sink/show and you have to descale your kettle regularly, or your water is cloudy, then you've probably got hard water. Bore water is always hard.

If your water tastes sweet, then your water is probably soft.

To check for yourself, boil a little bit of water to nothing. The more residue (usually white from calcium) you are left with, the harder your water.

Interesting. Its bore water but I don't tend to notice deposits or anything and its not smelly or tastes bad like some bores

Interesting. Its bore water but I don't tend to notice deposits or anything and its not smelly or tastes bad like some bores

I might have to revise my thinking. If you don't know, it probably isn't hard. It is possible your bore has tapped into a spring, which would be sweet. If that's so, then you are one lucky person :)

The boiling test will still tell you, but I would get a test done just to satisfy curiosity (they aren't hugely expensive, not cheap, but I reckon it would be nice to get a good bit of information).

Some of the spring water coming through volcanic soils is seriously nice - what sort of soil do you have?

Nice!

Maybe check for salt, but seriously, if it tastes nice, lathers easily, doesn't leave a bathtub ring and doesn't leave a white crust when you boil a pot dry, then it's pretty well soft water (and likely nicer than town water).

Testing would be nice to have (even if just for curiosity).

Last edited:
Perhaps it is just when I'm starting the bar as you've said. Is there any way to avoid that?
You can do as others said, and pre-rinse, or you can use a body pouf. I use a body pouf and never get that draggy feeling on the first use. Only if I use the soap without the pouf on the fresh bar of soap.

Back